F35A Down at Hill AFB, UT

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

F35A Down at Hill AFB, UT

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:15 am

Pilot has been safely recovered after ejecting from an F-35 crash at an Air Force Base in Utah

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/19/us/utah- ... index.html

A pilot has been safely recovered after an F-35 combat aircraft crashed at the Hill Air Force Base south of Ogden, Utah, Wednesday, according to the 388th Fighter Wing.

The F-35A Lightning II crashed around 6:15 p.m. local time at the north end of the base’s runway, the wing said on social media.

“The pilot ejected, was recovered and has been taken to local medical center for observation,” Hill Air Force Base tweeted. No further details were available on the pilot’s condition.

The cause of the crash is unknown and will be investigated, the wing said.

Videos from the scene showed a large plume of smoke coming from the Air Force base after the military plane crashed.

Nearby resident Scott Phillips told CNN he saw the plane go down.

“I was at my home …. mowing the lawn and watching the F-35 come in for landing as they do basically every night. We love watching them leave and come home,” Phillips said.

“They land generally towards the south as they did today. On approach, one appeared to lose power and dipped too low below the trees. Next thing I saw was fire.”

Hill Air Force Base is an Air Force Materiel Command base, according to its website. It is the Air Force’s second largest base by population and geographical size.

CNN is reaching out for more information.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: F35A Down at Hill AFB, UT

#2 Post by llondel » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:34 pm

we were staying at a hotel just south of there this past week, and drive past it regularly on our stud dog visits. My SIL commented that they'd had a crash at the base.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:28 pm

Museum there is worth a visit.
I was there in the 90's when it first opened. I'm sure it has been added to since then.

PP

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by G~Man » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:58 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:28 pm
Museum there is worth a visit.
PP
Forget the museum..... When in Ogden one should go here... B-) B-) B-)

https://www.fivewivesvodka.com/

wive.jpg
Ogden's Own Distillery
615 W Stockman Way
Ogden, UT 84401
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)