Just a jump to left, and a step to the right.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Just a jump to left, and a step to the right.

#1 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:08 am

Airline passengers stranded on a remote Pacific island after an emergency landing on the way to Sydney have made the most of their unexpected, idyllic New Year’s Eve adventure – but there’s a catch.

The locals in Pago Pago, American Samoa, where the flight from Los Angeles was forced to land after fears over a potential mechanical problem in one of the plane’s engines, took passengers on a tour of the island and served beers on a deserted beach.

But thanks to a quirk of time zones, the rescue flight sent to take them on to Sydney was due to skip across the international dateline shortly after takeoff, flying from New Year’s Eve morning to New Year’s Day morning with no midnight to celebrate in between.

The time warp began when the aircraft they were originally travelling on from Los Angeles to Sydney was diverted to Pago Pago international airport. Crew aboard United Airlines flight 839 had noticed a potential oil leak in an engine of the Boeing 787-9.

Leonie Butta’s 30-year-old son and two granddaughters were on the flight, travelling to Sydney en route from Vancouver, when she learned it was suddenly diverted over the Pacific.

The 60-year-old grandmother had been monitoring flight-tracking accounts on social media when she noticed the course change but could not get any information from United Airlines when she attempted to call.

“What United did was the perfect solution to the problem. There’s nowhere else to stop over that part of the Pacific. It was really good, terrific decision-making – so why didn’t they just tell everyone?” Butta said.

“They seemed to be oblivious to it. That made me feel worse. And I thought: ‘My god. Is this is a dream?’ Maybe this didn’t happen? Maybe the plane’s just gone?”

United Airlines confirmed in a statement that a “mechanical issue” had forced the diversion but said the passengers were being taken care of and another flight would collect the stranded passengers.

The replacement aircraft – flying as UA3032 – was scheduled to depart Pago Pago at 3am on 31 December, local time, and arrive in Sydney at 7.15am on 1 January.

American Samoa is just to the east of the international dateline, meaning the passengers on board would not have a midnight on 31 December. Shortly after taking off they would find themselves in 2023 at a little after 4am Sunday.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.