If former forum member hawkerj96 is still visiting, please contact admin as we have a new member who wishes to contact you about John Hawke

Yeti Airlines Crash

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Yeti Airlines Crash

#81 Post by Boac » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:45 pm

It will be interesting to see where the prop levers were in the wreckage. I am even more surprised by this accident since I note from the report the 'before landing checklist' was carried out after the props had feathered!........and would include prop levers...........

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:52 pm

The PM/Instructor Captain had already shown from the "Flaps 30, and descending" call that he was just doing the mouth music and not looking at the levers or the gauges.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#83 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:46 am

A new reconstruction. I can't understand why the PM went for the condition levers (2) instead of the flap lever (1) Also why didn't the PF notice the huge drop in power. Given the cock up if the PF had been more observant there was probably time to relight. Thirdly why didn't she check the flap was set at what she asked for. If you ask me 2 incompetents up front.

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:25 pm

1. I think my muscle memory point addresses the lever mistake. The feather levers with the PM leaning forward and across to see the airport would have been in the same position, relative to his shoulder line, that the flap lever was when facing forward.
2. Aircraft commences descent at the point the props were feathered. Power loss would be greater than simply pulling the throttles back/taking more flap, but with the flaps incorrectly at 15 instead of 30, the thrust/drag change would be similar to what they are both used to.
3. By the time the consequences show up 25 seconds later, we're outside short term memory, and both pilots are in the mental state that things are 'normal', i.e. the actions taken previously were correct. Even when the PM catches the Flap error in his 'final approach - what have I f#cked up on' personal extra checks (I always did this), he doesn't associate this with possibly moving the wrong levers earlier. I would imagine he either doesn't think about it at all, just fixes the problem, or his subconscious assumes he didn't move the flap lever enough.
4. I think that the fact they are both doing a difficult approach at a new airport means they have their eyes out of the cockpit almost continuously.
5. They are on a final checkride for a female co-pilot whose husband died in similar circumstances, with all the usual Asian authority gradient stuff, and this would generate a huge amount of stress for both of them.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#85 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:20 am

Final report out, excerpts here.
https://avherald.com/h?article=503c63e9&opt=0
Check pilot / Instructor did not carry out PM duties, and furthermore gave responses that said he had on multiple occasions.
Just before the final dive, he moved the flaps to the correct position, but neither informed the PF nor checked to see which levers he had moved when he had earlier thought he'd moved the flaps.