Unthinking Pilot Gets a Smack!

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Unthinking Pilot Gets a Smack!

#1 Post by FD2 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:23 am

The wheels grind slowly.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/engineer- ... 2E75HXFSA/

Obviously the engineer was tried beyond his endurance but that was no excuse to smack the (annoying) pilot.

One afternoon my flight at Norwich was delayed because our helicopter's maintenance and turn round was delayed by a KLM UK Fokker continually doing accels and decels right outside the hangar, to the point it was difficult to think clearly. No one was answering the phone in their hangar but the next day the two base managers sorted the problem out with the help of ATC and after that KLM had to tow their aircraft to a remote part of the airfield for ground runs. My captain, down from Aberdeen for a few days, almost swooned and signed himself off sick. 8-|

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Unthinking Pilot Gets a Smack!

#2 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:42 am

FD2 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:23 am
The wheels grind slowly.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/engineer- ... 2E75HXFSA/

Obviously the engineer was tried beyond his endurance but that was no excuse to smack the (annoying) pilot.

One afternoon my flight at Norwich was delayed because our helicopter's maintenance and turn round was delayed by a KLM UK Fokker continually doing accels and decels right outside the hangar, to the point it was difficult to think clearly. No one was answering the phone in their hangar but the next day the two base managers sorted the problem out with the help of ATC and after that KLM had to tow their aircraft to a remote part of the airfield for ground runs. My captain, down from Aberdeen for a few days, almost swooned and signed himself off sick. 8-|

"Swooned", the Captain's having the vapours. ;)))

A Captain, surely not a "real" Aberdeen fisherman, or engineer, used to the roar of the boat's diesel engine, and ingestion of smoke and carbon monoxide gas (the only vapours found there) while freezing cold water and rancid fish detritus rained down upon his head, like manna from above! =))

While the pilot in the case noted above should not have been attacked, he clearly is a bit of a tool, not least because of his insistence on prosecuting the engineer who was clearly at the end of his rope. Once the brouhaha had calmed down, a quiet chat, a handshake, a beer and commitment to let bygones be bygones might have been the better order of the day!
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Unthinking Pilot Gets a Smack!

#3 Post by FD2 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:53 am

He was a bit precious. Senior to me by dint of the seniority list but very out of touch with Norwich operations and flying the S76 as his subsequent performance showed. He was actually on the Super Puma fleet in Aberdeen and should have been P2 at Norwich at least for a few days.