AIR FRANCE Flight 447 - Quelle surprise!

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
AIR FRANCE Flight 447 - Quelle surprise!

#1 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:17 pm

A Paris court has cleared Air France and Airbus of involuntary manslaughter over the crash of flight 447 in 2009 that killed 228 people.

Giving its verdict on Monday, the court said if there had been faults committed, “no certain causal link” with the accident could be shown.

The Airbus A330 was travelling from Rio de Janeiro to Paris when it crashed into the Atlantic Ocean during a thunderstorm. Lawyers for passengers’ families had battled for years to address what they said were failings leading to the worst aviation disaster in Air France’s history.

The ruling followed a two-month trial last year, at the end of which the public prosecutors’ office had suggested it was impossible to prove that either company was to blame and suggested they be cleared.

A report by France’s air investigation authority had previously found that the failure of the Airbus’s speed sensors, called pitot tubes, which froze up during a storm over the Atlantic, had set off a catastrophic chain of events. The report said the Air France pilots lacked the training to deal with this situation. -The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... 2009-crash
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: AIR FRANCE Flight 447 - Quelle surprise!

#2 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:03 pm

The report said the Air France pilots lacked the training to deal with this situation.
For goodness sake this was all basic training. The frogs are to blame.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:06 pm

Same everywhere.
I cannot recall an event where a national court found a national airline, ship, or military unit guilty of this kind of thing.
e.g. Iran Air 655.

At least they didn't give the crew medals.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by barkingmad » Wed May 10, 2023 5:20 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:03 pm
The report said the Air France pilots lacked the training to deal with this situation.
For goodness sake this was all basic training. The frogs are to blame.
Or maybe the xAAs are to blame for not including energy management and all-engine go-arounds in recurrent training compulsory requirements?

I stumbled across this golden oldie today from 22/01/2002 and thought of trying to tally up the numbers of accidents or serious incidents which followed the basic lack of flying attitude skills;

Luckily this one resolved itself with empty toilet pans and likely full gussets but could have been a disaster, so why is there an obsession with FD bars over RAW NAKED flying when things start to turn pear-shaped?

By way of illustration of the FD bars obsession one has to look way back in history;

https://simpleflying.com/air-india-flig ... niversary/

And then we recall the FlyDubai at Rostov-on-Don accident...

I blame the regulators and the training departments for attempting to convert faulty metal alloys (nil aptitude hominids) into stress-resistant structural HF components aboard public transport aircraft, though luckily in this case the 757 outperformed the flight deck’s attempt to exceed the ‘g’ limits.

Just musing aloud and await incoming fire as per normal, but maybe some of the old geezers here will join the discussion on the back of the OP and one of the most catastrophic examples of this basic recurrent training failure? :-?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:18 pm

I thought I would tack Mentour's latest video on the end here since there are frightening similarities to the AF447 accident.

What is it with Airbus pilots...?