Atta boy!!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Atta boy!!

#1 Post by Boac » Mon May 08, 2023 9:14 am

There's low flying and there's.....

Airshow in Argentina. JUST managed to fly away and report for wigging. Third reply on Twatter is worth watching! How he got away with not trashing the prop I cannot imagine.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Atta boy!!

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon May 08, 2023 12:18 pm

I always like this one - Ray Hanna.
Alain de Cadenet had not been told what Ray was planning.
This is the unbleeped version.
Bear in mind Alain was a racing driver, including Le Mans, and used to things screaming past him at high speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Mon May 08, 2023 12:44 pm

Yes, but that wasn't 'low' - there's at least a prop disk clear of the twat's head. Obviously Ray didn't dislike him THAT much....=))

Ray used to be able to 'hide' a Spitfire at the bottom of a loop at Kemble in a small depression he knew well from days of old.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by llondel » Mon May 15, 2023 2:03 am

He could probably make a living digging trenches if he toughened up the wingtips.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by llondel » Mon May 15, 2023 2:08 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:18 pm
Alain de Cadenet had not been told what Ray was planning.
This is the unbleeped version.
Bear in mind Alain was a racing driver, including Le Mans, and used to things screaming past him at high speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w
The other one I remember was Richard Wyatt, an HTV presenter, who got knocked over by a low-flying aircraft.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Karearea » Mon May 15, 2023 2:17 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:18 pm
Alain de Cadenet had not been told what Ray was planning. ...
Years ago when I was first finding my way around YouTube I came across that title and, without previewing it, had my daughters gather around the laptop "to hear something really special"...
There's rosemary, that's for remembrance. ...

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by OneHungLow » Mon May 15, 2023 4:23 am

Ex SAAF pilot and 1970's South African aerobatic champion Nick Turvey accidently killed a photographer on the ground during a low flying photographic sortie! One wonders if the reporters, photographers etc. that engage in these kind of low flying stints realise how dangerous they really are?
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Mon May 15, 2023 7:34 am

The only RAF one I know of was the Hercules that beheaded the trooper in a 'low pass'.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by boing » Tue May 16, 2023 12:16 am

I watched the making of a beer commercial at Thruxton in the old days. The centrepiece was a table stacked high with various types of beers the sponsor made. First runs were with a Dragon Rapide which was quite impressive but the film crew wanted something more exciting, how about the Chipmunk really low over the table stacked with beer? It took a while to explain that the big fan in the front of the Chippy was not used to keep the pilot cool and it couldn't be turned off.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue May 16, 2023 12:41 am

A more amusing one I read in an accident involved an RAF Herc dropping supplies to the Army on St Kilda. The Army bods drove up to the DZ in their landy, and parked it in the centre.
Then they had an outbreak of common sense, and decided to go stand just outside the designated safety circle. They did not think to move the landy. The Fat Albert swooped in low in, bang on target, and dropped the load. As loads do sometimes, it decided to spread itself to the atmosphere. A frozen chicken emerged from the chaos and hit the landy canvas cover. Acting as a trampoline, the cover bounced the chicken to just outside the safety zone, and promptly broke the collarbone of the landy driver.