If former forum member hawkerj96 is still visiting, please contact admin as we have a new member who wishes to contact you about John Hawke

Shoreham Air Show Plane Crash

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Shoreham Air Show Plane Crash

#461 Post by barkingmad » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:03 pm

“Sorted out the FT yet”.
Nah, I’m too preoccupied with facing my oncoming demise due to beervirus whilst attempting to maintain a stiff upper lip and a pragmatic attitude right to the bitter end.
I always have found IT stuff to be difficult and strictly limit the time I will waste on anything to do with a HAL which doesn’t behave like an ordinary human would expect!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#462 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:53 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:31 pm
Unlike Shoreham is it likely this is another ‘G’ LOC accident?

Even the Bae Hawk200 test pilot was not immune to this problem IIRC?
Incorrectly set QFE? Accelerated stall...

Like this bloke...

He lived and did well in his life..

https://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisrstricklin
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#463 Post by barkingmad » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Ohmigawd!!! Not the restart of the QNH versus QFE discussion again? Aaaaarrrgh ! ! 😱

Lost a colleague in a Jet Provost at Linton in a similar accident, apparently he pulled the handle but the impact force ‘g’ loading exceeded the MB gun cartridge effort, the canopy blew and the seat rolled out as the aircraft remains slowly rolled before impacting again.
Tragic and vivid memories of the aftermath.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#464 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:25 pm

barkingmad wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:10 pm
Ohmigawd!!! Not the restart of the QNH versus QFE discussion again? Aaaaarrrgh ! ! 😱
I was tempted to try and post a METAR but didn't dare negotiate Boac's ire.

As for your tragic story it reminded me of this sad one... Ejected successfully after fatigue related failure of the aircraft's wing but vector algebra undid him and he and his chute opened in the ensuing fireball. His son lives, and runs an aviation orientated company in the Lake District now, if I remember correctly.

What is going down too fast is hard to keep up (or something like that).

All goes ragged and GLOC was to blame here.

Whatever the case, like Mr Hill, a damned shame...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#465 Post by Boac » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:51 pm

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#466 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:19 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... afely.html

Not exactly sure of the procedure here. He has been cleared of manslaughter. So what difference is the result of the inquest going to make?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#467 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:35 pm

The inquest is necessary to close the cause of deaths. Once that is done I guess there is the potential for a civil case where the rules are different.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#468 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:42 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:35 pm
The inquest is necessary to close the cause of deaths. Once that is done I guess there is the potential for a civil case where the rules are different.
Well that could be summed up in seconds, flattened by a Hunter.

Any idea how the laws are different? I only have training in corporate and financial law. Can Andy be done for manslaughter in a civil case? If so can he be imprisoned or will it just be a massive compensation where he declares bankruptcy and lives off all his money that he has already given to his wife?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#469 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:04 am

I think in a civil case we are talking money. Where a criminal case has limits in a civil court the penalty it unlimited.

In this case it is a question of who to sue and their ability to pay. I recall a case, many years ago, where the award was in excess of £100k, big money, but the guilty had no money to pay.

The plaintiff said she would wait and only seek payment some time in the future when perhaps they became wealthy and had forgotten about the judgement.

In this case there would not be much money going after the pilot.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#470 Post by Boac » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:22 pm

News from West Sussex Council:

"The inquest into the deaths of the 11 men at the Shoreham Airshow Crash has been postponed until 2022 due to a High Court hearing taking place this autumn.

At the Pre-Inquest Review Hearing held on Monday 26 April 2021, the Senior Coroner ruled that she would now be making an application to the High Court to formally request permission to access certain “Protected material” used in the criminal trial in order to assist her with her investigation.

It is unfortunate that any High Court hearing will not be taking place until the autumn due to the pressures on the Court service.

The families have been informed that the inquest will be postponed from its October dates and the Coroner has provisionally secured a new date from Monday 7 February 2022 – Friday 18 March 2022.

West Sussex Senior Coroner, Penelope Schofield, said: “It is with regret that I have had to further postpone the inquest due to take place in October this year. However, it is not possible to continue with the inquest until the outcome of my application to the High Court is known."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#471 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:15 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... otage.html

Look at the altitude Andy started the loop from.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#472 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:20 pm

I do not see any 'height' mentioned? I believe it was established that his entry height for the loop was in accordance with his display authorisation. I do not think that was the problem.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#473 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:15 pm

Boac wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:20 pm
I do not see any 'height' mentioned? I believe it was established that his entry height for the loop was in accordance with his display authorisation. I do not think that was the problem.
Boac you know far better than me but in the video it looks like a very low entry altitude.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#474 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:43 pm

It's not the entry height that is the problem! I believe he was cleared for aeros down to 300ft (from memory). I don't think he breached that on the way in to the loop from the video.

You can enter a loop at high speed and finish the loop much higher than you started - and vice versa, sadly

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#475 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:38 am

RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#476 Post by Boac » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:20 pm

Hill is now being advised to ask for a Judicial review of the coroner's findings. It will be interesting to see where that goes if approved.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#477 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:04 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:20 pm
Hill is now being advised to ask for a Judicial review of the coroner's findings. It will be interesting to see where that goes if approved.
More waste of time and money. Most folk on this forum guessed what happened in the first place. I am not quite sure why he isn't being done for manslaughter. Do we know anything about Hill? He seems a bit arrogant to me.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#478 Post by Boac » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:28 am

The problem is, leaving aside any question of pilot error, that there were many facets to the accident that were 'withheld' from all official enquiry processes including the matter of the 'airworthiness' of the aircraft and aspects of the airshow organisation + + . That is what I meant by "interesting to see where that goes".

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#479 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:10 am

Last night I was watching some episodes of a BBC series called "Warship" which was made in 1976.

One episode is called 'The Buccaneer' where the pilot is court-martialled for dangerous flying - he flew in front of the bridge of HMS Blake at about 30' despite being refused permission.

Watch the video from about 35:00 onwards for the defence's case at the CM - similarities with Shoreham?

It's always my fault - SWMBO

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Faint heart ne're won fair lady but nearly wrecked ship.

#480 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:00 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:10 am
Last night I was watching some episodes of a BBC series called "Warship" which was made in 1976.

One episode is called 'The Buccaneer' where the pilot is court-martialled for dangerous flying - he flew in front of the bridge of HMS Blake at about 30' despite being refused permission.
"Beneath the level of the bridge windows... the fish heads are getting windy"

A senior officer who can help with The Times cryptic crossword, priceless. An observer who says a tad too much, not necessarily so helpful!

The pilot, a loose cannon, or an ill man who passed out?

Good romantic drama, very enjoyable. I blame the girl, the pain in the pilot's heart before becoming a pain in another part of the anatomy ...=))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.