Gender reveal foolishness..

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Gender reveal foolishness..

#1 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:33 am

Avweb are generally accurate but a Piper Pawnee is not a jet... (see text accompanying the photo in the link). As for the rest, there is a lot of foolishness, if not illegal flying going on here too. The pull up doesn't appear to be extreme but the wing lets go nonetheless. Did he exceed VNE, was there an existing fatigue issue with the aircraft? Wait for the report as the mantra goes!

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/pil ... ingID=1478
The pilot of a Piper Pawnee was killed Saturday, Sept. 2, when the aircraft broke up during a sharp pull up for a gender reveal stunt in Sinaloa, Mexico. Video of the crash shows the aircraft approaching the expectant couple spraying pink powder or fluid, signifying the birth of a girl. When the aircraft pulls out of a shallow dive overhead, the left wing folds into the fuselage and the airplane rolls into a crash beyond the couple’s party site.

News outlets reported that the 32-year-old pilot, Luis Angel N., was found in the wreckage but later died at a hospital. This is second fatal gender reveal crash in as many years in Mexico. In April 2021, two pilots were killed when the Cessna 206 they were flying in a gender reveal stunt crashed into the water in Cancun. Two occupants of an Air Tractor were luckier when the aircraft got slow, stalled and crashed during a gender reveal stunt in Turkey, Texas. The pilot wasn’t injured and a passenger suffered only minor injuries.
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Gender reveal foolishness..

#2 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:44 am

Well, I'll be - I thought 'Gender reveal' was when you flashed your willy at a passing lady! I think I'll stick to that.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:51 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:44 am
Well, I'll be - I thought 'Gender reveal' was when you flashed your willy at a passing lady! I think I'll stick to that.
=))

Archer
Snr FO
Snr FO

#4 Post by Archer » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:01 am

I always thought that 'Gender reveal party' referred to the session just after the sprog has popped out, revealed either an innie or an outie, and you're handing out cigars... or have I got that wrong?

On a more serious note, it's a sad accident. My main question is whether the manoeuvre was less or more severe than during normal spraying ops, but we'll have to await the report. Apparently there are several ADs and STCs for Pawnee wings and related hardware, so the mod state of the airframe will be another issue no doubt.
--
A Little VC10derness - https://www.VC10.net

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Woody » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:35 am

Seems to be an American custom.

When all else fails, read the instructions.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by tango15 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:39 pm

...and no doubt, God forbid, one which will be crossing the Atlantic before very long, hot on the heels of proms, trick or treat, baby showers, and any other money-making cr*p they can come up with. Americans are very noisy, aren't they? :))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:18 pm

Pilot dies after plane crashes during gender reveal party in Mexico

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/04/americas ... index.html

A pilot has died after the plane he was flying as part of a gender reveal party in Mexico crashed on Sunday.

Video posted online shows the plane releasing pink smoke as it flies over a couple waiting in front of a sign that reads “Oh baby,” surrounded by pink and blue balloons.

The recording captures the moment the plane’s left wing appears to separate from the fuselage as it flies away from the group of people below.

Authorities in Navolato, Sinaloa state, told CNN en Español, CNN’s sister network, that the pilot died in the hospital following the crash.

Alan Francisco Rangel of the Sinaloa Red Cross told CNN that paramedics treated the pilot at the crash site in San Pedro, Navolato and then took him to a local hospital, where he died.

Authorities did not release the pilot’s name, and the cause of the crash is not clear.

No further injuries were reported as a result of the accident.

Gender reveal parties were conceived as a fun way of telling family and friends whether they were about to welcome a girl or a boy into the world.

gender reveal explosion starts wildfire
Woman who popularized the gender reveal party says enough already after latest wildfire
Originally low key affairs involving the cutting of a cake with colored icing, or maybe some fireworks, some expectant parents have decided instead on risky and expensive gender reveals.

At a 2017 reveal in Arizona, guests were asked to shoot at a makeshift target scrawled with the words “Boy” and “Girl.”

When the target – packed with the highly explosive Tannerite – exploded, a blue cloud poofed upward and immediately ignited the surrounding brush.

It was a boy, and the party ended up costing the guilty patrons more than $8 million in restitution after it set off a wildfire spanning 47,000 acres.

And in Iowa in October 2019, a gender reveal party went south when the family unintentionally built a pipe bomb. When the device went off the entire pipe exploded, sending shrapnel flying that hit and killed a grandmother standing nearby.

I wish more idiots like this were held accountable.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by llondel » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:28 pm

We didn't tell anyone, kept it secret until after he was out for everyone to see. None of this silliness/craziness.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:41 pm

PHXPHlyer, IIRC a guest at another was killed when the firework shot her.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Karearea » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:17 pm

From Blancolirio:

PA25-235 Sinaloa MX Gender Reveal Party Structural Failure [11:04]

Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:19 pm

Karearea wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:17 pm
From Blancolirio:

PA25-235 Sinaloa MX Gender Reveal Party Structural Failure [11:04]

Speed probably well above Va (Maximum maneuvering speed), which was reduced as the water was dropped and as he pulled up the structural load limit was exceeded and something let go resulting in the wing failure.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Boac » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:35 pm

Speed probably well above Va (Maximum maneuvering speed), which was reduced as the water was dropped and as he pulled up the structural load limit was exceeded and something let go resulting in the wing failure.
In short, he pulled too hard?

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:37 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:35 pm
In short, he pulled too hard?
Yep! He had entered a world of pain. Va being the primary limitation related to control inputs as you imply. He was probably well below the aerodynamic limit i.e. VNE.