Ground Stop at HOU Hobby Due to Ground Collision

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Ground Stop at HOU Hobby Due to Ground Collision

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:05 am

Houston airport had to ground all flights after a private jet departed ‘without permission’ and collided with another jet, FAA says

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/24/us/houst ... index.html

An airport in Houston temporarily grounded all flights on Tuesday after two private jets collided on its tarmac, officials said.

The incident took place around 3:30 p.m. CT when a twin-engine jet departed “without permission” from the William P. Hobby Airport runway and collided with another twin-engine jet that was landing on the runway, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

No injuries were reported in the collision and it’s unclear how many people were on board either aircraft, the FAA said.

The departing plane was identified as a Hawker H25B, a corporate aircraft model, while the arriving flight was a Cessna C510 business class jet, according to the FAA.

The two private jets “clipped their wings as they were moving on the airfield,” Hobby Airport said in a post on X.

The airport remained under a ground stop while crews worked to remove the debris, the post said. The airport announced the debris had been cleared just after 7 p.m. and flight operations had been restored.

Hobby Airport is located 7 miles from downtown Houston.

The incident remains under investigation by the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Ground Stop at HOU Hobby Due to Ground Collision

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:24 pm

Juan's preliminary report on the Hawker vs. Citation 5 collision at Houston Hobby.

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:20 am

Hmm. Not sure what Juan adds to the mix there?

Whatever preceded this, I reckon the controller did well in the aftermath.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:36 pm

Boac wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:20 am
Hmm. Not sure what Juan adds to the mix there?

Whatever preceded this, I reckon the controller did well in the aftermath.
Quite a lot for me actually.
This was the first that I had seen of the aircraft damage, airport diagram, and ATC communications, etc.
This was the only thing that I have seen since the initial article.

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:03 pm

Fair enough - I got it on 25/10 via Airlive. But we need the ATC recording of the departure which will clarify whether the statements that the Hawker took off without clearance are in fact correct or if it was a mis-step by ATC.