JAL aircraft on fire in Japan

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

JAL aircraft on fire in Japan

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:34 am

BBC News showing a JAL aircraft on fire at Haneda airport. Apparently it collided with a Coastguard aircraft on landing. 367 passengers and crew on the JAL aircraft - reports that all did escape.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: JAL aircraft on fire in Japan

#2 Post by Boac » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:42 am

Sky News have a video which is quite alarming, although there are signs of an evacuation. https://news.sky.com/story/plane-in-fla ... t-13040799

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:00 am

Coastguard say 5 out of 6 on board their aircraft have not been accounted for. Seems it was a Bombardier Dash 8 which is based at Haneda.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:10 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:25 am

Bits of video here, from BOAC's Sky News post, showing the landing rollout and inside the cabin

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:37 am

A350. Amazing that crew and px managed to get out.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:08 pm

SM an ex training cabin staff lady, reckon the Cabin Staff must have been SO well drilled to get that many off through only two doors, they did incredibly well.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:51 pm

Didn't see any of the pax carrying bags, dallying about, etc.
Doubtless a reasonable set of pax makes a heck of a difference.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:34 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:51 pm
Didn't see any of the pax carrying bags, dallying about, etc.
Doubtless a reasonable set of pax makes a heck of a difference.
Japanese discipline.

Seems that the coastguard was told to hold. The pilot who escaped will throw himself of his sword.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Karearea » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:54 am

blancolirio: Haneda Collision 2 Jan 2024 [10:54]

Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:45 am

Thank you Karearea that was fast. He makes the point that the aircraft on the runway at night would be difficult to see by the JAL. However the landing lights from the JAL would be very easy to see from the Coast Guard. Also he entered by a perpendicular taxiway not a fast turn on so a clear view up the approach. He didn't look. I look even as a passenger in our puddle jumpers.

Does seem as if ATC were a bit nebulous but I would not take that as a clearance to enter.

Re. cabin bags; There is a girl in the photo on screen at 6.10 with a rucksack on, well either that or a parachute.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by tango15 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:42 am

I gather from more recent information on Aviation Herald, that the 350 and the Dash were on two different frequencies. Whatever other constituents to the holes in the Swiss cheese there are, this has to be a major factor. Many pilots on TOP are complaining that the use of HUD obscures the view, particularly on landing.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#13 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:54 am

tango15 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:42 am
I gather from more recent information on Aviation Herald, that the 350 and the Dash were on two different frequencies. Whatever other constituents to the holes in the Swiss cheese there are, this has to be a major factor. Many pilots on TOP are complaining that the use of HUD obscures the view, particularly on landing.
Perhaps the Coast Guard was still on ground. In which case he wouldn't expect clearance to enter from them.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by llondel » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:44 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:45 am
Thank you Karearea that was fast. He makes the point that the aircraft on the runway at night would be difficult to see by the JAL. However the landing lights from the JAL would be very easy to see from the Coast Guard. Also he entered by a perpendicular taxiway not a fast turn on so a clear view up the approach. He didn't look. I look even as a passenger in our puddle jumpers.
There was the LAX incident 30 years ago where an incoming aircraft took out the one waiting on the runway. I think they did a test as part of the investigation of putting the same model there and flew an approach and it was pretty much invisible even when actively looking for it.

I have been looking closely at the videos of the crash and can't see the Dash 8 at all - you can see the landing lights of the A350, but nothing I could identify as nav lights on the Dash 8. I would be interested to know whether the Dash 8 was sideways on (as in, still moving) or had entered the runway and turned ready for takeoff, and how long he'd been there if so.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by tango15 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:37 pm

When I was working in ops at MAN for one of the handling agents, I had to do my airfield driving course. All common-sense stuff and quite straightforward really, but one thing we were warned about was to watch the Flybe Dash 8s at night. The position of the lighting, including the anti-colls, was such that from certain angles you couldn't see them at night, so you didn't know for sure whether the aircraft was being pushed back or not. I remember that a colleague was almost caught out one summer evening.
The CAA had been advised about the situation, but for reasons best known to themselves, had done nothing about it. The Japan Coast Guard aircraft was one of the later models, but I have no idea whether the lighting positions had been altered on them.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:13 pm

llondel wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:44 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:45 am
There was the LAX incident 30 years ago where an incoming aircraft took out the one waiting on the runway. I think they did a test as part of the investigation of putting the same model there and flew an approach and it was pretty much invisible even when actively looking for it.

I have been looking closely at the videos of the crash and can't see the Dash 8 at all - you can see the landing lights of the A350, but nothing I could identify as nav lights on the Dash 8. I would be interested to know whether the Dash 8 was sideways on (as in, still moving) or had entered the runway and turned ready for takeoff, and how long he'd been there if so.
That was a SkyWest Metroliner "in position and hold"ing as it was called back then which was basically landed on by a US Airways 737.
The local controller had simply forgotten that the Metro was holding.
The result of that accident was a change that prevented controllers from issuing position and hold clearances at night.

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:02 pm

Another excellent analysis by Juan.
This are the first closeup photos of the damage to the 350 that I have seen.

PP

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:28 pm

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by llondel » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:38 pm

That does tend to point at the Dash 8 pilot. Either he failed to stop where he intended, or he misunderstood where he was supposed to stop, given that it was in English and I assume not his first language. Exchanges I've heard elsewhere add "hold short of runway XX" for good measure, to make it quite clear.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:59 am

Agree. My local airport always adds the word "hold" followed by "short" or "clear of the runway". Watching cockpit videos on the 'tube, I notice that when subsequently cleared for take-off, air crew invariably look both ways before moving onto the active.