Bombardier Challenger 600 Down on I-75 Near Naples, FL

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Bombardier Challenger 600 Down on I-75 Near Naples, FL

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:37 pm

2 dead after small plane carrying 5 lands on Florida interstate and then collides with vehicle, authorities say
The incident occurred in the southbound lanes of Interstate 75 in Collier County, according to the Florida Highway Patrol

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sm ... rcna138176

Two people were killed after a small plane carrying five landed on an interstate in southwest Florida and crashed into a vehicle on Friday afternoon, authorities said.

The incident occurred in the southbound lanes of Interstate 75, near mile marker 107, in Collier County, according to a Friday afternoon statement from the Florida Highway Patrol. Footage at the scene showed what looked like wreckage that had smoke billowing from it on the interstate. Dozens of emergency vehicles with lights on were on scene.

Two people were killed in the incident, according to the Collier County Sheriff's Office. It was not immediately known if the deceased were on board the plane, the sheriff's office said.

It was also unknown if anyone else was seriously injured in the crash.

No one with the highway patrol could be immediately reached for comment.

The incident occurred about 3:15 p.m., according to the Federal Aviation Administration, which said the plane is a Bombardier Challenger 600 jet.

The plane, that was traveling from Ohio, reportedly lost both engines, according to NBC affiliate WBBH of Fort Myers. The jet had been scheduled to leave Naples and head to Fort Lauderdale, the news outlet reported.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate, authorities said.

Lanes in each direction on the interstate were closed and the highway patrol urged drivers to avoid the area.

A B737 is a small plane compared to an A380. :-?

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Bombardier Challenger 600 Down on I-75 Near Naples, FL

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:11 am

At least two dead in fiery plane crash on Interstate 75 in Collier County

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/news/l ... 542174007/

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... st-florida

Link has pics.

Florida Highway Patrol says a small airplane with five people from The Ohio State University's airport collided with a vehicle in Collier County on Friday afternoon creating a fiery debris field and closing Interstate 75.

Collier County Sheriff's Office confirmed at least two people are dead.

Witness sees plumes of black smoke minutes after crash
Naples-area resident Jinny Johnson happened upon the crash just minutes after it took place, heading north on I-75 around 3:20 p.m.

"All of a sudden I saw a lot of black smoke," Johnson said. "It was pitch black. As I got closer, the smoke got a little lighter. And then I saw flames."

Flames shot into the air, eating into the plane, and there was a damaged car sitting on the median, Johnson said. As she crept north, sticking to the curb lane on the far side of the road to give herself as much space from the plane as possible, she watched everything unfold.

Emergency vehicles had not yet arrived, and as traffic crept along, she watched a helicopter land near the wreckage. Ambulance, fire and police vehicles sped north up the sides of the interstate on the southbound side, she said. She thought it had hit a side wall along the highway, but couldn't be sure. Johnson added that she saw a first responder was sitting next to a person on the median, who appeared to have been in the car.

A plane crashed on Interstate 75 in Naples on Friday, Feb. 9, 2024.
Naples Airport dispatched firetrucks with a special foam-type substance that can help control jet fuel fires.

As firefighters hosed down the plane, the smoke changed from black to gray to white.

FAA confirms crash of plane from Columbus, Ohio
Firefighters hose down the small jet that crashed near Naples Friday afternoon.
The Federal Aviation Administration said the Bombardier Challenger 600 jet crashed on southbound Interstate 75, near mile marker 107, Pine Ridge Road, at about 3:10 p.m. At least one vehicle was destroyed.

The plane crashed roughly 4.7 miles from the airport.

The plane was coming from Columbus, Ohio, to the Naples Airport and scheduled for departure to Fort Lauderdale, said Robin King, the director of communication with The Naples Airport Authority.

It left Ohio at 12:30 p.m.

King said the airport lost communication with the plane just before the crash.

Smoke pours from the downed Bombardier Challenger 600 jet that crashed on Highway I-75 near Naples.
"It was coming in for a landing," she said. "We received word that it had possibly lost an engine, we have not confirmed that, then we lost contact."

In a tape released of the final call from the pilot, the pilot tells an airport controller they won't make the runway.

Pilot: "Okay, Challenger, Hop-A-Jet 823, lost both engines, emergency. I'm making an emergency landing." Controller: "I've got an emergency. Clear to land Runway 23." Pilot: "We're clear to land but we're not gonna make the runway. We've lost both engines."

Emergency officials work the scene of plane crash on Interstate 75 in Naples near exit 105 on Friday, Feb. 9, 2024. Two people were confirmed dead.
Naples airport had no information on who was on plane
King did not have a time for departure to Fort Lauderdale.

"We don't have anybody here at the general aviation terminal waiting for them," she said. "We don't know who they are, the nature of the business. We don't know why they are coming here."

Friday night, the Hop-a-Jet charter company released a statement saying it had "received confirmed reports of an accident involving one of our leased aircraft near Naples" and that it would dispatch a team to the crash site.

"Our immediate concern is for the well-being of our passengers, crew members, and their families," the statement said.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the incident.

Florida Highway Patrol troopers remained on the scene Friday night. By 7:40 p.m., northbound lanes of the interstate had reopened, but southbound lanes were closed as the investigation continued.

Troopers advised drivers to avoid the area and seek alternate routes. The FAA also restricted airspace in the area around the crash.

Firefighters hose down the jet that crashed Friday afternoon on I-75 outside Naples. At least two are confirmed dead in the crash.
Officials at OSU said the Columbus, Ohio airport is fully commercial, and the plane is not affiliated with the university.

PP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:46 am

Crash is on the extended centreline of Rwy 23, 3 miles short of the threshold.
Looks like it was on runway heading when it hit the wall on the west side of the Interstate.
The damage to the wall makes me think they were wings level on impact, so I don't think there was any attempt to turn.
They were probably aiming for best glide and hoping to reach the golf course about another 150 metres beyond the wall.
I would be surprised if anyone on the a/c survived. There's nothing left of the cockpit or cabin.
Looks like it collided with a vehicle just before hitting the wall, which would be the two dead they have found already.
It is, however, just possible that the nose section broke off and went through the wall, with the wings and rearwards remaining on the Interstate.
The far side of the wall is moderately treed and a gentle downslope, leading to a road, a row of houses and then a golf course.
But they would have to be ridiculously lucky to have been brought to a gentle stop without hitting anything. Little fire risk with no fuel, of course.

Doesn't look like the pilots had any options. It's suburbia either side of the Interstate, and they would have been too low to attempt the 40 degree turn to line up with the Interstate.
Would have approached the vehicle from its 7 o'clock, not even in the wing mirrors. The driver would have had to have been looking hard over their left shoulder and up to see the approaching a/c.

The aircraft easily had the range if full of fuel.
I would imagine the investigators will concentrate on the fuel aspect.
It seems odd that the crew didn't declare an emergency before the flameouts if they knew they were short of fuel.
They had several diversion options short of Naples, so can't have noticed anything wrong before or even halfway down their descent from cruise altitude.
However, it's difficult to see why they should have a double flameout unless they were empty. Fuel gauges misreading?
The cockpit appears non-existent, so I don't think they'll work this one out from the instrumentation or indicators, but maybe the nose section did break off.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:10 am

The first article said two dead in the vehicle that was involved.
A witness said that they saw one occupant of a vehicle being seen to.
Update that I read said that two died on the aircraft and three got out.
Sounds like a pretty chaotic scene.
Hopefully it will get sorted out overnight.

PP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:12 am

I would guess the nose did go through the wall then, and it's the two pilots who were killed.

One photograph does show two police vehicles on the private estate road beyond the wall, blocking.
I can't think why they would need to be there unless some of the aircraft went through the wall.

Update: I've just looked at the video taken by a passing driver in the link you gave.
At 0:10, the cabin appears to be there, with possibly the cockpit section very crumpled. Maybe some motorists got the 3 pax out before it all caught fire?

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Karearea » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:18 am

Survivors run from plane wreckage on I-75 [17sec]

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:10 am

The videos show what look like scorch marks further along the wall. Was it travelling right to left and spun round 180 at the end? MIraculous that anyone got out!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:20 am

Looks like that to me also. Right wing struck the wall first which is why I think they maintained heading after they lost the engines.
Using the Google 3D view, it would have seemed like their best option to go for the golf course which is a little beyond the Interstate.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by llondel » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:12 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:37 pm
A B737 is a small plane compared to an A380. :-?
737A380.jpg

reddo
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by reddo » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:54 pm

I am watching this one with interest.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by Dushan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:30 am

The 3 running must be from the airplane. How do I know? They are carrying their bags.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Karearea » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:16 am

blancolirio: Hop-A-Jet Challenger 604 Crash Naples Fla. 9 Feb 2024 [16:59]

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Karearea » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:27 am

Confronting and sad to see: 17sec. video of the crash

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:45 am

NTSB Preliminary Report Via Juan Browne:

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:09 am

I have seen no mention of a CVR - is there one on the jet and has it been recovered in a readable state? If so it should help a lot ie if the oil warnings come just after a call for landing flap? Occams razor?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:45 am

I'll chuck this in for interest

pick it up about minute 29:30. Another 'yellow' substance' in the fuel.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:11 pm

excellent podcast, thanks.