AO-2024-002
Boeing 787-9, in-flight disturbance over Tasman Sea, 11 March 2024
Status
Current
Occurrence Date
11 Mar 2024
Jurisdiction
Overseas
TAIC is providing support for an investigation by Chilean investigation authority, the Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil into an incident involving a Boeing 787 aircraft in international air space on its way to New Zealand.

The reported circumstances were that on 11 March 2024, a Boeing 787-9 passenger aircraft, registration CC-BGG, was traveling from Sydney, Australia, to Auckland, New Zealand. The aircraft was operated by LATAM Airlines. About 250 nautical miles from Auckland, it encountered a ‘technical problem’ and a resulting ‘strong movement’ in which around 50 passengers, including cabin crew, were injured. The aircraft landed in Auckland safely. No fatalities were reported.

Chile, as the State of Registry, is investigating this incident and has requested New Zealand’s assistance. TAIC is gathering evidence on behalf of Chile. TAIC will not produce a report for this inquiry. This is a responsibility of Chile authorities.
(NZ) Transport Accident Investigation Commission
12 MAR 2024
TAIC STATEMENT

The accident involving LATAM flight LA800 occurred in international airspace.

Under the International Convention on Aviation, the Chilean accident investigation authority, the Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil (DGAC), is responsible for investigating the accident and it has confirmed it has opened an investigation.

The DGAC has requested the assistance of the Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC).

TAIC is in the process of gathering evidence relevant to the inquiry, including seizing the cockpit voice and flight data recorders.
TAIC assisting Chile investigation into LATAM flight LA800 accident
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: LATAM flight LA800 accident

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:01 am

Juan's video on this incident:

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:46 am

Doesn't really add much except 'Juan exposure' to this incident. The reported loss of all instrument panel data/electrics remains unexplained and if true is crucial.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re: Boac.....

#4 Post by Rossian » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:47 am

.....do I detect a soupcon of "Juanedout"?? Only because I'm curious you understand.

Personally I quite like his detailed analyses, ie someone who knows what he's talking about.

The Ancient Mariner

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#5 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:57 am

Boac wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:46 am
Doesn't really add much except 'Juan exposure' to this incident. The reported loss of all instrument panel data/electrics remains unexplained and if true is crucial.
I can't see the connection if it was a seat activation problem. Coincidence?

He made a very good point I hadn't thought about. It is not only the idiots who fly with no seat belt fastened but also the ones they land on when they come back down who get injured. Make sure the fat bastard who is sitting next to you is strapped in.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:26 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:57 am

He made a very good point I hadn't thought about. It is not only the idiots who fly with no seat belt fastened but also the ones they land on when they come back down who get injured. Make sure the fat bastard who is sitting next to you is strapped in.
I was seated next to a 20 something "kid" on a flight that I was deadheading on. He seemed to be making a macho point of deliberately not fastening his seatbelt after the safety briefing and the flight attendants passing through to remind about seatbelts.
I turned to him and told him that I didn't give a ****** **** as to his wellbeing in the event of an accident. I was only concerned about his taking out anyone else after turning into a meat missile.
Seatbelt grudgingly fastened.

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Karearea » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:01 am

blancolirio:

Loose Rocker Switch Cap Injures 50! Latam #800 B-787 [5:33]

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:45 am

Boac wrote:
The reported loss of all instrument panel data/electrics remains unexplained and if true is crucial.
Still remains unexplained. He seems to have forgotten about that.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Karearea » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:19 am

Boac wrote:
... The reported loss of all instrument panel data/electrics remains unexplained and if true is crucial.

Passenger shares what pilot told him after plane's mid-air drop [4:32 video at link]

CNN: Passenger on Boeing flight that suddenly dropped says pilot told him he lost control after instrument failure

Latam Airlines flight LA800 was headed to Auckland from Sydney when plane’s ‘gauges just blanked out’ due to technical problem, pilot reportedly told passengers [1:36 video at link]

Guardian: ‘Felt like an earthquake’: passengers recall moment of terror on Latam flight as investigation launched

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:31 am

That is a far more likely explanation for the violent manoeuvre, but the discrepancy between the Captain's comments and his event remains, as Ex-A says and is important and cannot be ignored.