Nerd's Corner - Ice cool aircraft recognition game.

General Chit Chat
Bob
Capt
Capt

Re: Nerd's Corner - Ice cool aircraft recognition game.

#921 Post by Bob » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:10 am

I think it is a confusion between Torque production, which is wholly achieved by the actions of gas pressure on the engines pistons, (nothing to do with the engines rotating mass, that can only store and release energy as in a flywheel) and the torque effect visualised by the Snipe start up, which to a great degree is a result of the ratio of masses of the rotating and non rotating parts of the whole assembly (aircraft mass: rotating mass of engine)

that was my oiginal point...is it incorrect?

In other words when the engine starts it is rather more inclined to to rotate the relatively low mass of the airframe than the relatively large mass of the engines rotating parts...it's not that the le Rhone is a massively torquey engine, it's just the effects of relative mass

last edit added the word massively....the le rhone is torquey, but not as much as torque reaction shown would imply

...Just call me Mr long-winded :D

P.P.S. I have de Man Flu, so any criticism of my mental perambulations will be directed to the effects of my self medication....so there
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#922 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:32 am

John Hill wrote:I fear someone is extending the meaning of torque, as far as I know (and there is a lot I do not know) torque can be calculated from RPM and power and nothing else.

By definition (in physics/mechanics) torque is defined as a force that tends to cause rotation. Mathematically it can be associated with RPM and power but to say what you have said above is not entirely correct!

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#923 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:43 am

Bob wrote:I think it is a confusion between Torque production, which is wholly achieved by the actions of gas pressure on the engines pistons, (nothing to do with the engines rotating mass, that can only store and release energy as in a flywheel) and the torque effect visualised by the Snipe start up, which to a great degree is a result of the ratio of masses of the rotating and non rotating parts of the whole assembly (aircraft mass: rotating mass of engine)

that was my oiginal point...is it incorrect?

In other words when the engine starts it is rather more inclined to to rotate the relatively low mass of the airframe than the relatively large mass of the engines rotating parts...it's not that the le Rhone is a torquey engine, it's just the effects of relative mass

Your emboldened comment (see above) is absolutely correct, think of Newton's third law here about the resultant forces! Also keep in mind that in a rotary it is the rotation of the engine and the mass couple that produces the resultant forces (equal and opposite) and thus the effect on the rolling of the airframe by that force (remembering the F = M * A) is material. As for the comment about torquey engines well this is not precise but I understand (I think) what you mean and would go further and say that the effect of the relative displacement of the mass, and the centre of rotation, between the engine and the airframe that enhances the torque rolling effect in some aircraft (like the Snipe with a rotary engine in this case).

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#924 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:47 am

Anyway, I have led the thread away from aircraft identification. Perhaps we should set up a physics thread here? Back to Cpt_Pugwash's aircraft.

Caco

Bob
Capt
Capt

#925 Post by Bob » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Aaah, yes sorry, it's a Bell YFM-1 Airacuda

Cpt_Pugwash
Capt
Capt

#926 Post by Cpt_Pugwash » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Bob has it.

YHC.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#927 Post by Bob » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:54 pm

Righto

Baddiet.jpg
Baddiet.jpg (106.85 KiB) Viewed 398 times

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#928 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Bob wrote:Righto

Baddiet.jpg

Clearly American with that belly gun or ball turret on the underside and just the way the bloody thing looks, but do I know what it is? No is the answer!

Caco

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#929 Post by John Hill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Google did not take long to find that one!
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#930 Post by Boac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Is No 1 feathered in that picture? Rudder deflection certainly says yes.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#931 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:19 pm

John Hill wrote:Google did not take long to find that one!

Well spill the beans then as nobody else seems to know! We won't tell anybody you cheated! ;)

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#932 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:30 pm

Boac wrote:Is No 1 feathered in that picture? Rudder deflection certainly says yes.

Well spotted! As you say the port prop looks like it is feathered.

Caco

Bob
Capt
Capt

#933 Post by Bob » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:05 pm

A small hint........ IMO it looks about 5-6 years ahead of it's time

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#934 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Bob wrote:A small hint........ IMO it looks about 5-6 years ahead of it's time

A pre world war US bomber then? Let me consult my big boy's book of US bombers then! :D

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#935 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:21 am

I see that John Hill, with the fortitude and virtue of a Whakahoro sheep shearer, has stayed shtum about the aircraft's identity, despite having being punishment dipped multiple times. All that woolly virtue aside and nothing said by John, I can now announce that after wasting at least 40 minutes of my remaining lifespan fruitlessly searching for the aircraft in my big boy's book of bombers, I stumbled upon the aircraft on a website I have used previously to find rare birds to try and bamboozle myself and the folks here.

Bob's aircraft is to be found here and is a Stearman XA21... A Stearman for goodness sake! :))

The U.S. Army's road to the classic twin-engined attack aircraft of World War 2 (1939-1945) was a long one and saw many promising (and forgettable) types dropped from contention. This included the overlooked Stearman "XA-21" of which only one was built and failed to impress. The type first flew in 1938 but never materialized beyond its prototype status even after drastic changes had been implemented that included a redesigned nose. The product did, however, provide U.S. Army authorities exposure to twin-engined types (and their inherent strengths and weaknesses) that eventually led the adoption of platforms like the Douglas A-20 "Havoc" and North American B-25 "Mitchell" forms.

The XA-21 began life as the Stearman "Model X-100" and was developed to a standing USAAC ground attacker requirement. The Model X-100 was proposed with its unique nose section that showcased a long "greenhouse-style" canopy over the crew area. A twin-engine configuration was used to power the type (and was required by the USAAC for its new attacker). Three crew operated her various onboard systems and a conventional, single-finned tail unit was used. The wing mainplanes were high-mounted and each carried an engine nacelle. The engine of choice became 2 x Pratt & Whitney R-2180-7 "Twin Hornet" radials outputting at 1,400 horsepower.

Proposed armament included a single Browning 0.30 caliber machine gun in the nose and four additional guns fitted to the wings (two each). Four additional Brownings (0.30 cal) were then installed to face aft and tackle any approaching interceptor. Up to 2,700lb of conventional drop ordnance would be carried to fulfill the bombing requirement.

After the Army acquired the X-100 it was redesignated XA-21 for its test phase. It was quickly found to hold an inherent design flaw - namely its long greenhouse canopy that restricted the pilot's forward vision - this meant poor ground running, take-off, and landing qualities. As such, engineers were forced to completely redesign the nose section and it was then reborn as a "stepped" cockpit approach somewhat reminiscent of the Consolidated B-24 "Liberator" heavy bomber (detailed elsewhere on this site). The XA-21 continued in testing but did not reveal any stunning revelations about her to recommend her for serial production.

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraf ... ft_id=1535

Bob, you are a total bastard! :D

What a good and very interesting challenge!

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#936 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:39 am

What is this? Easy one.

JohnBonhamMobyDick.JPG
JohnBonhamMobyDick.JPG (61.61 KiB) Viewed 312 times

Caco

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#937 Post by om15 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:28 pm

German uniforms, and the engine layout is similar to a Gotha heavy bomber, but no variant of the Gotha has that cockpit arrangement.

Zeppelin-Staaken R.III,

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#938 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Quite correct om15. The marker is with you.

Caco

Bob
Capt
Capt

#939 Post by Bob » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Bob, you are a total bastard! :D

You're not the first to notice, but thanks all the same matey :D

Cukup Sudah
Snr FO
Snr FO

#940 Post by Cukup Sudah » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Here's one to ponder while we wait for om15.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (37.07 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Still fooling Glenn Quagmire