Slugs

Growing Things
limeygal
Capt
Capt

Slugs

#1 Post by limeygal » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:54 pm

Any of you got any tips on how to get rid of slugs? Don't like to use slug bait because of the animals. Tried eggshells, but I think they are just using them to climb higher-bastards. Also tried beer. Apparently alcoholic slugs. Would pick them off, but mozzies are fierce early in the morning when they are about and would rather avoid that.

Capetonian

Re: Slugs

#2 Post by Capetonian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Bag them up, chuck in a bit of garlic, and sell them to anyone in your area who's French. Tell them they're de-shelled snails, no difference, a snail is only a slug with a shell.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by unifoxos » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:21 pm

A band of copper around the affected area works. I bought some self-adhesive thin copper strip, about an inch wide, when we were inundated with them getting into the house. I lined the only orifice that I could imagine them getting in through and no more slugs. I would guess copper wire stripped bare would work too. It seems their slime reacts with copper to produce enough of a voltage to dissuade them from crossing it.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by izod tester » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:25 pm

We had 3 Indian Runner ducks which were allowed the run of the garden. They sorted out the slugs and snails very well and cleared the moss from our North facing lawn. They do not need a large pond, but enjoyed splashing around in a child's paddling pool. They provided eggs for around 200 days per year. Unfortunately, we had to give them away since we now spend significant time away from home with our daughters in Cape Town and Seattle.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by om15 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:46 am

Slug pellets are pretty awful things, the slugs die horribly. I tend to pick them off and chuck in the compost bin.
Gravel can be effective, say in pots or around special plants.
I have rather a slug problem with my cabbages, I just cut out the bits that they have been munching.
I know that they are not particularly nice things, but try to live and let live if possible.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:24 am

Seem to remember getting some animal/bird friendly slug pellets in the UK. Have a look at this: https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildl ... g-control/

Don't tend to get slugs here in the Kalahari desert.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by unifoxos » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:31 am

I couldn't get slug pellets to fit in my pellet gun, it's .177 and the slug pellets seem to be .22.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by limeygal » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks guys. Like the idea of the copper tape. I think I will also dig up my hostas and put in pots. I will report back with the results

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:56 am

unifoxos wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:31 am
I couldn't get slug pellets to fit in my pellet gun, it's .177 and the slug pellets seem to be .22.
I shoot squirrels here, as my range Sgt knows they are pretty safe. Shot at one in the library and the pellet hit the wall ricocheted and hit me in the face 1/2 cm from my eye. These pesky squirrels shoot back. :-o
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Karearea » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:22 pm

Me muvver used to put a little trail of salt around precious things e.g. lettuce seedlings; used to deter the slugs & snails but of course needed replenishing after rain.
Sawdust is another thing I've heard of being used, the rascals don't like crawling over it.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

cockney steve
CPL
CPL

#11 Post by cockney steve » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:12 pm

A surfeit of salt will also kill the plant-life.....handy for getting rid of "protected" trees. raid the winter salt bin at the roadside and sprinkle a few shovel-fulls round base of tree. salt is also a painful death to the beasts.....well, they never cry-out but they do writhe about a bit as the salt seems to rapidly dehydrate them
It doesn't do a great deal for lots of living things that are not of the marine-variety...no rot on sea-water wooden boats, below the waterline.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by barkingmad » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:51 am

"How to get rid of slugs?"

Vote them out at the next local/national/EU elections?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:08 am

Don't confuse slugs with leeches.