The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#921 Post by Ibbie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:11 am

Very presentable lady locum doctor in her 20s this morning. Spoke perfik English. You would have been very impressed Slash

Then went to farmacia. None of new drug in stock, come back after 17.00. Good job I can combine that with going for a pint or two as it's poets day.

Returned home to find water pouring out of water filter cupboard at front of house. One of filter housings has split.
Ploomer will be here this afternoon to fix.

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#922 Post by Octopussy2 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:35 pm

Sweet of you to offer, Slash :D

Wodrick - the kitchen ceiling fell in?? I think you need to tell us more. Sounds like a horrendous day though, worse than my various irritations. I hope things improve quickly. :YMHUG:

Work has been crazy busy, I'm very glad it's Friday. Recovering from having friends round for dinner last night, who are on holiday and left after midnight...and it took me until nearly 2 to clear up. I had also forgotten my intention to take Octokitten1 to see Mamma Mia tonight as a birthday treat. I could rather do without it (although they sell booze in the cinema, so it's not all bad).

Re the oven, it is apparently repairable (I know that's not the proper word) and they're coming in 10 days...

I miss Limeygal, I hope she'll reconsider.

Capetonian

#923 Post by Capetonian » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:56 pm

I had also forgotten my intention to take Octokitten1 to see Mamma Mia tonight as a birthday treat. I could rather do without it (although they sell booze in the cinema, so it's not all bad
I enjoyed it. It's corny and crass but fun. The singing is mostly dire, but that adds to the charm. Our cinema also serves grog and graze (an Everyman) and has seats you can fall asleep in.

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#924 Post by Octopussy2 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Capetonian, you might enjoy the Onion film critic's review of Mamma Mia - you can find it on youtube, I don't have the technical nous to post a link, but it's worth it!

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#925 Post by ricardian » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#926 Post by Wodrick » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Greetings pop pickers,
Well 'puter fixed it seems, heatsink and fan fell off the processor.
I'll promote Slinky to the sick bay.

The kitchen ceiling has the plaster falling down in places and needs redoing before it, as is inevitable, rains.

Went and paid my speeding ticket today, got a 50% discount for prompt payment. Now it says on the ticket that the discount is applied if payment is made within two weeks of receipt if it. It was sent by normal post, not recorded or registered so how do they know when I got it ? Still 50€ is better than 100.

That's it really. By order I have removed the fly traps. I wonder what the Raghead that lives at the bins thought of the thousands of dead flies and the smell. Probably used to the smell.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#927 Post by Groundgripper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:01 pm

Grass cut at insistence of Senior Management [-( so it now consists of a 2-dimensional patchwork of fresh green shoots, bare earth and hay rather than a 3-dimensional one. ~X( Must get some more seed to chuck on the bare patches in the hope that it takes before the birds eat it all. :D

Before I started, at 14:30 I consulted three weather websites: Accuweather forecast dry conditions until 20:30, Weather.com predicted thunderstorms arriving between 15:00 and 16:00 and BBC said that it would be showery all afternoon. Accuweather was closest, it was sunny until 17:00 then a series of very heavy showers which are still occurring. Luckily I finished just before 16:00 and am enjoying the garnering of brownie points. o:-)

Hope Slinky benefits from the sick bay. :YMHUG:

GG

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#928 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:23 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:25 pm

I'll promote Slinky to the sick bay
The Slinkster is a member of the family here. Give us the gen man!

Caco

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#929 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:40 pm

Just got back from town.
Warning: Aviation content
Practice day for the airshow this weekend. Watched the F18 doing its thing, then a joint display by the F18 and a DH Vampire. Vampire looked very small, almost toy-like, in comparison. Watched from the convenience store car park, where I found myself standing next to an old school USAF P51 pilot who has a summer cottage up here. Good chat! The Snowbirds were practising a formation flypast with the big transport/tanker. The Whipper-in looked busy.
Dropped off half a ton of rubble and ironmongery at the waste disposal site, for which they charged me $26, but recovered about $500 of window glass which can go in the barn - bargain! Brand new stuff - looks like some upscale new homebuyer changed their mind about the windows.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#930 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 pm

An afternoon of British traffic mayhem that morphed into a Top Gear off road excursion, over 40 miles, akin to the roof of Cumbria rally, for my better half and me. A cast of collies, recalcitrant sheep and one crashed caravan impinged on events (not ours I hasten to add).. I have decided that despite our many argument's, including her dismissal of my insistence that we should fly to Kirkbride and drive south, I realise we make a good team and isn't that what holidays, life and love are all about. One tired but happy Caco checking in for dinner in Shap.

Caco

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#931 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:16 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 pm
checking in for dinner in Shap.
I have never considered Shap as being a place to go to.
To me, Shap is somewhere that you pass through - with, maybe, a transport caff on the summit.

When travelling through the north of Scotland (our frequent holiday destinations were the west-coast, not the bit at the top, but this time we had been to Orkney) I had a fascination to visit Tongue - a name that dominated the map (as being the junction of the major roads in the area) where I reasoned that we could find somewhere to eat, however, there was only a closed post office and I had to drive a long way south before we found a hostel where we found food.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#932 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:32 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:16 pm
Cacophonix wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 pm
checking in for dinner in Shap.
I have never considered Shap as being a place to go to.
To me, Shap is somewhere that you pass through - with, maybe, a transport caff on the summit. .

True, but for all its, just off the M6, loucheness, it has a family connection and I cannot but stop by. I am staying in the cloister between two valleys and all is peaceful. ;)))

Caco

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#933 Post by Tall Bird » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Hello people! :-h Apologies for the long gap between postings. I'm now back with Mr Fox on the Island. The weather's hot and humid but we've been very busy. Mr F with the house reno and building things in the barn including the hot tub base and a rig to facilitate moving it to the base. I've been gardening - digging up unwanted day lilies, pruning, weeding the veg patch and beds his mum planted and raking up apples. I can't tell you what a joy it is to work with the moist, red sandy soil after the bone aching heavy clay back home. Around us the harvesting has begun, not potatoes this time but barley.

This weekend the Air Show Atlantic comes to Summerside PEI. Got the tickets this afternoon at a nearby store and watched various acts practice. Stunning. Of course, I'll have my own knowledgeable commentator (as heard on the BBC) on hand. ;)))
http://airshowatlantic.ca/

The Lake District on a Bank Holiday?! You must be mad Caco.

Slasher

#934 Post by Slasher » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 pm

On the deck at Venus. Will be departing late as the cabin is an absolute mess. We had a continuous rough bloody ride just before crossing the Red Sea onwards and there was copious perking in cattle class as a result. I dunno what Jyptians eat but the whole aircraft is putrid something awful. Tangy. Why they didn't use the spew bags is beyond me. They simply upchucked anywhere. There was no **** fortunately.

I noticed a squirrel in front of us darting right to left on a taxyway while trundling along the 2km trek over hill and dale to the ramp. A squirrel! I didn't think there were any squirrels in Ijjypt.

Stop press: cabin carpets will need to be steam-cleaned as these bloody idiots stomped their perk deeply into the main aisle carpet while deplaning, despite the Purser's pleading PA after landing to tread carefully. Frigging raghead savages the lot of 'em! 😠

Steam cleaning equipment arrived. Told it'll take a full hour till we can board.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#935 Post by ricardian » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Caco might like this

The island of Auskerry (Orkney) and some aviation content

Auskerry is a small island just south of my own island (Stronsay)
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#936 Post by handsfree » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:17 am

The temperatures get worse here Slasher. +8C at the moment.
A wonderful excuse to go back to bed for a while.

We got caught out in the rain yesterday while in Derby and I can attest that it was cold rain.
What happened to the moaning about the hot weather I ask.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#937 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:17 am

Slasher wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 pm
On the deck at Venus. Will be departing late as the cabin is an absolute mess. We had a continuous rough bloody ride just before crossing the Red Sea onwards and there was copious perking in cattle class as a result. I dunno what Jyptians eat but the whole aircraft is putrid something awful. Tangy. Why they didn't use the spew bags is beyond me. They simply upchucked anywhere. There was no **** fortunately.

I noticed a squirrel in front of us darting right to left on a taxyway while trundling along the 2km trek over hill and dale to the ramp. A squirrel! I didn't think there were any squirrels in Ijjypt.

Stop press: cabin carpets will need to be steam-cleaned as these bloody idiots stomped their perk deeply into the main aisle carpet while deplaning, despite the Purser's pleading PA after landing to tread carefully. Frigging raghead savages the lot of 'em! 😠

Steam cleaning equipment arrived. Told it'll take a full hour till we can board.
If I thought you chaps actually hand flew that Airybus thing of yours I'd be teasing you about Muhammad's post fire water shakes or pilot induced oscillation effendi Slasher!

As my egg beater instructor says to me "you gotta fly smooth baby, smooth, no shake your booty"... =))

Caco

flynverted
Capt
Capt

#938 Post by flynverted » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:51 am

Finally got back in after a few weeks of 403 forbidden messages again!
Started new job, stuck in the middle of texas for the next week, why the **** anyone would want to live here is beyond me..., It's like outback qld but with traffic jams..
Hot, dry, dusty, beef everywhere... And fvcking road works from one end of texas to the other...
Oh well, hotel is paid for, as all meals, and being in he middle of cattle country, I've made an attempt to reduce the cattle population in Texas...

admin
Chief Engineer

#939 Post by admin » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:12 am

flynverted wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:51 am
Finally got back in after a few weeks of 403 forbidden messages again!
Suspect you may have been trying to access the site via one of the other domain names ops-normal.com or ops-normal.net. I used them when I was carrying out the major upgrade a short while ago. The subsequent redirect may not have been promulgated throughout the DNS system. I had been getting some odd message in the system log re:- some connection from Frontier Communications?? If that means anything to you.

Admin/Alison

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#940 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:19 am

Capetonian wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:56 pm
I had also forgotten my intention to take Octokitten1 to see Mamma Mia tonight as a birthday treat. I could rather do without it (although they sell booze in the cinema, so it's not all bad
I enjoyed it. It's corny and crass but fun. The singing is mostly dire, but that adds to the charm. Our cinema also serves grog and graze (an Everyman) and has seats you can fall asleep in.
Capetonian do you remember the biocinema in Cape Town, in Long Street, that used to show all the art house films (not the Labia which is still extant and going strong), it was a total flea pit? My musician friend Luke was in there and a stunning looking girl sat down next to him and part way through the film he felt a hand on his leg and thought he had got lucky but looked down to see a large rat giving him the beady eye.There was a piercing shriek from the girl and chaos reigned.

Caco