Saving Outlook e-mails .

Title says it all
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Saving Outlook e-mails .

#1 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:12 am

Saving Outlook e-mails .

I’ve asked this before, maybe 2 years ago (!) and did appreciate the system at the time, and thanks to those who replied and educated me. e.g. create a new Folder on the desktop, then open that and my Outlook folder side by side – having reduced them in size somewhat - and physically drag the e-mails that I want to save from the Outlook folder to the newly created folder, then “send” that folder to an external disk drive – easy, but .....

I have just re-visited this task – you can see how fast I work, but Mrs. ExS is now about to migrate her ex-PC data to a new iMac, so the subject has arisen again, as she would like to ensure that important e-mails are not lost, as might well happen, but when I dragged the “Inbox” folder across to the new desktop folder prepared to receive them, it then opened the file “Inbox” in something called a .XNK file, which was in machine code and unreadable, i.e. it didn’t open my e-mails for reading.

I then “ highlighted” all the e-mails on the first page of my Inbox on the Outlook screen, and dragged about 30 e-mails across to the new folder in one go, success ! every e-mail was individually readable at my choice, but .... the list was arranged in alphabetical SUBJECT order, not NAME order, as it is in the Inbox. Unless I know the first word of the subject title that my senders used, there is no way I can locate the e-mail I want, e.g. from Joe Bloggs, two years ago.

The new Folder list is just headed Name, not From, as is the Outlook Folder, and there is no way to change it. Curiouser and Curiouser, said Alice.

Any clues pls.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Saving Outlook e-mails .

#2 Post by Boac » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:19 pm

For your wife - to read an Outlook file on a Mac https://www.labnol.org/software/open-ou ... -mac/9804/ It may be worth exploring Thunderbird on the mac and seeing if it will open outlook emails on the mac.

For you, your folder contains only the email files and not the actual emails so you will not have the normal file details. I don't think anyway you can 'drag' an outlook folder somewhere else, only the contained emails.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:47 am

Thanks, still working on it, have been told that there is a YouTube video tutorial on the subject, but not had time to look yet.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Download private enterprise Classic OE for free (with ads) or pay a small fee (without). Just like early OE but better.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Thought that had died! Does it have an option to copy Windows emails to a Mac?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by OFSO » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:41 am

Not only not died but get regular updates from the software house that produces it. Their premise was to correct everything that was wrong with the MS original. I have no idea of any other features but worth a look.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by OFSO » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:38 am

This is what I use:

https://www.oeclassic.com/

You can choose where to store your e-mails so maybe it would be applicable.