General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#541 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Letter, sent today to the CEO of Barclays Bank International:

Dear Mr Throsby
I do not take lightly the task of accusing staff of idiocy, but sadly your staff at Barclays International (IoM) more than deserve this title.

For the past year I have been attempting to change the telephone number which they have for me - not an unusual happening, one would think. To my innocent mind, one would think all that was necessary was for me to inform Barclays Bank in writing that I had a new number; your staff could then call me, ask the usual security questions to verify it was indeed myself on the phone, and then note the new number. How long would that take ? Five minutes ?

But alas ! Barclays Isle of Man have difficulty with this. After the first letter I sent, they called back on the old, superseded number, presumably to verify the new number. I didn't receive the call as Barclays have difficulty in understanding my written statement that "this number is no longer in use to contact me".

And again, after my second letter.

And today, after I sent yet another letter requesting them to use my new number - accompanied by a certified passport copy - they again called on my wife's phone to contact me - she wasn't with me, and refused to take a call not meant for her - Barclays following it up with an e-mail saying they had been unable to contact me.

I wonder why.

Perhaps you can help.

The (only) telephone number associated with the above a/c is as follows:

Yours Sincerely.......

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#542 Post by ricardian » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:52 pm

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#543 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:14 am

Let's get Christmas over and done with today:

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#544 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:04 am

I normally live a largely secluded life (I live alone), and, although I make a point of going out into the village every day (and occasionally meet people that I know - that I greet) and I 'shop' so have an exchange of cash with cashiers.
However, I find that, whenever I attend a 'mass event' (today was our village 'Christmas shopping' afternoon and evening which generally attracts about 12,000 visitors as well as non-village-people stallholders, and I was there from 13:30 to 22:30 acting as a steward dealing with parking access for stallholders and directing visitors to loctions such as Santa's grotto) I inevitably come home with the sniffles (a mildly running nose).
Rarely does it develop into a full-blown 'cold', but there is definitely 'something in the air' that I catch.
Today I was only embraced by one acquaintance, but she didn't appear to be displaying 'cold symptoms'.
Anyone got an explanation?

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#545 Post by Wodrick » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:29 am

Being exposed to the masses you are exposed to bugs abnormal , by that I mean things you are not normally exposed to.
We get it all the time with visitors or when, heaven forbid visiting the 🇬🇧.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

belfrybat
Snr FO
Snr FO

#546 Post by belfrybat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:17 am

It may be an allergy to something in the air which isn't there closer to your home. Try taking some histamin next time and see if it helps.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#547 Post by Woody » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Thames Water has reported a big fall in half-year profits, saying extreme weather has hindered its ability to fix leaks and overhaul its infrastructure.
The company said the Beast from the East cold snap had caused pipes to burst, while the summer heatwave had brought supply problems.
Underlying pre-tax profits fell by nearly half to £67.7m, from £129m a year earlier.
It said the weather had had an "enduring impact" on leakage problems.
The firm added that it had received 11,083 written complaints about supply interruptions in the six months to 30 September, up from 8,242 in the same period a year earlier.
Chief executive Steve Robertson said: "During the intense summer heatwave, we worked tirelessly to protect our customers from supply restrictions.
"However, along with the impact of the Beast from the East, it has delayed our progress on leakage and other performance measures."
Since 2017, Thames Water has been fined more than £128m for poor management of leaks.
By pure coincidence I got my latest statement from Thames Water this morning, guess what my direct debit has increased X(
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#548 Post by OFSO » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Post 541: e-mail from Bank at lunchtime to say they would phone me at 17:00. Now 18:45. Phone has not rung. Should I be surprised....

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#549 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 pm

Should I be surprised....
You mean you expect them to know how to use a phone ?

and even if they do, it'll only only be some minion dialling the number then asking if it's you, then telling you that they will now connect you .... 3 hours later you will have heard all Beethovens Symphonies at least twice. ( which is at least a little better than some of the so called "modern" rap that one has to endure. )

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#550 Post by OFSO » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:29 pm

They phoned this morning, four easy security questions, asked what my phone number was, to which I replied "the one you just phoned me on !" And that was that. After 11 months they have noted my new phone number in their records.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#551 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:20 am

Just researching 'Taking without consent' to present to my garage owner when I pick up our car (his perceived personal runaround) next week. Apparently referred to as TWOKing in the UK. Not 100% sure of the law here but in the UK any passenger who is aware of the situation is guilty of the same crime. This was brought in to cover joy riders. I have the law here which is: Taking a vehicle without authority. Got all the sections and subsections of the act to present to him. Max penalty UK 5,000 GBP and or 6 months in the clink. Here 22 GBP and or 9 months in the clink. Next time I need to hire a car I will just borrow one it will be cheaper by far.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

compo
Capt
Capt

#552 Post by compo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:20 am
Next time I need to hire a car I will just borrow one it will be cheaper by far.
9 months free board & lodging would be a significant saving.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#553 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Just researching 'Taking without consent' to present to my garage owner when I pick up our car (his perceived personal runaround) next week. Apparently referred to as TWOKing in the UK. Not 100% sure of the law here but in the UK any passenger who is aware of the situation is guilty of the same crime. This was brought in to cover joy riders. I have the law here which is: Taking a vehicle without authority. Got all the sections and subsections of the act to present to him. Max penalty UK 5,000 GBP and or 6 months in the clink. Here 22 GBP and or 9 months in the clink. Next time I need to hire a car I will just borrow one it will be cheaper by far.
Ask if he carries a comprehensive traders' policy - ie would you be recompensed for any damage done to your vehicle whilst in their 'care'?

Slasher

#554 Post by Slasher » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:39 am

Yet another reason why GM should never have been bailed out.

A slimy fcuking bitch no matter what her excuse. :ymtongue:

https://moneyandmarkets.com/barra-most- ... le-Traffic

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#555 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:03 pm

The BBC will be pleading poverty next. It really is time this extravagant organisation was made to fund itself instead of fleecing the licence payers.

BBC very good at wasting other people's money.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#556 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:29 pm

The new set was originally due to open in 2018, but won't be ready until 2023.
Perhaps it would be better if the programme was cancelled?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#557 Post by OFSO » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Or filmed in/on a real place ?

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#558 Post by Wodrick » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Which is what the cunning Northerners did with the rival if I recall, they adapted an existing street round the back of Granada studios methinks.

However, living with an addict, I just avoid it whenever possible. She is currently 32 episodes behind as of tonight's episode.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#559 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Best example of same is to be seen in the film Ferris Bueller's day off! ;))) Well worth watching if you haven't seen it.

Maun petrol boy amazed by Ex-A's Ferrari!

Local garage taking Ex-A' Ferrari for a spin....JPG

Caco

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#560 Post by Magnus » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:14 pm

It's a ferkn disgrace!! RotDV2 was about to drop off the front page. Disgraceful. People these days simply don't rant enough. You lot should be ashamed of yourselves.