Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#4541 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 am
Morning all,
What is becoming normal, crisp, clear and cold.

I live on a ridge right next to the track and all my land is on the top of the ridge falling over to the North side.
It is roughly divided into three. A formal garden around the pool and house, A cleared area descending the hillside to the North and a jungle area a mainly overgrown Olive orchard steeply sloping down to my boundary. About 6,000sqm all told.
The cleared area has been rotavated by wild boar overnight. That is the closest they have come in the last nine years (that I know of)

Boring and Pointless
But behind every boar is a good twitching tail! ;)))

I hear that the Spanish wild boar are not to be trifled (or should that be truffled) with, and that there have been fatalities in man/boar encounters!

Had some local (insofar as it came from somewhere in the UK) boar for starter for lunch last Sunday, Num num!

Caco

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4542 Post by ian16th » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:58 am
My maps were not from the AA but flight planning. Used to half inch a few a week. They were used for low level navigation IP to target. Goodness knows how much they cost a year. As some folk here know you would cut them up into strips and mark your route on them then throw them away. Or in my case probably lose it on the floor of the cockpit and get hopelessly lost as usual.
I always thought that you flying types followed the Railway Lines, and used Bradshaw o:-)
Cynicism improves with age

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#4543 Post by k3k3 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:24 pm

Doesn't IFR mean "I Follow Railways".

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4544 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:28 pm

I do know one person, name unmentioned to protect the guilty, who has taken VFR to the extreme that he has flown low enough to look at the signs on the overhead gantries on the motorway to regain his position, which he had become monetarily unsure of!

Not me, I can assure you! ;)))

Caco

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4545 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:20 pm

I hear that the Spanish wild boar are not to be trifled (or should that be truffled) with, and that there have been fatalities in man/boar encounters!
Not even cheesecaked with !
I believe, but do not KNOW, that a special license is needed to hunt boar. There should be no hunting so close to houses anyway.
This is quite a large family, we had an encounter about a month ago when they were crossing the track about 500m away.
There was seven or eight of them and 'Punto' gave hot pursuit, fortunately he was not athletic enough to follow them up the banking.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4546 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:35 pm

The boar on the south side of the Pyranees are firstly ill tempered, secondly large, and finally not to be trifled with. They will not attack unless cornered but if they do you will be surprised by how fast 100Kg on spindly legs can travel and what a steep mountainside they can ascend. We have car wild boar insurance.

Capetonian

#4547 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:57 pm

Capture.JPG
Southern Africa in more civiilsed times.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4548 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:12 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:57 pm

Southern Africa in more civiilsed times.
That was my mother's preferred map. I suspect that she and Cecil John Rhodes would have got on splendidly alhtough her social opinions were probably far too liberal for him,

My father's looked like this, with the Cape Colony reverting to the Boers as well,as it did eventually and look where that got us!

Caco father map.JPG
Caco

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4549 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:01 pm

Where's the bit marked "Here be dragons"?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4550 Post by llondel » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:28 pm
I do know one person, name unmentioned to protect the guilty, who has taken VFR to the extreme that he has flown low enough to look at the signs on the overhead gantries on the motorway to regain his position, which he had become monetarily unsure of!

Not me, I can assure you! ;)))

Caco
Provided he didn't fly under the gantries...

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4551 Post by ian16th » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:04 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:01 pm
Where's the bit marked "Here be dragons"?
In Lancashire.
Cynicism improves with age

Slasher

#4552 Post by Slasher » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:23 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 am
Caco wrote:No desk is complete without a globe.
To cheer the chaps up this morning. Globes on a desk.

index.jpg
Very nice indeed Boac! 😜

Midnight here. Me and Ap spent nearly all day taking the out-laws all over the bloody place for sightseeing and shopping. Tedious as buggery, broken only when Ap's dad yelled at someone since he's nearly deaf as a post.

I offered to take 'em both up in the Cub (one at a time) for a nice pootle around town and surrounding hills. Me MIL was tempted but the old man was real dead against it saying the PA18 is "too small'. Guess he would rather the false comfort of heavy metal. I did try telling him it doesn't matter what you're in at 1500 AGL - the view outside is still the same, but he wouldn't have a bar of it. Ap said he'd be ok if I did it in a Daffy 737. 🙄

Since MIL is in charge of the house kitchen I had a decent brekky smorning and a damn good dinner. Since we were out at lunchtime Apsara took command of my diet and ordered me a Cesar's salad with a glass of lemon juice. Wasn't that bad really.

Out-laws head back tomorrow.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4553 Post by Magnus » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Boac, I will, after #4532, always think of your handle as standing for Boobs On A Console. :-bd

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4554 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Magnus wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 pm
Boac, I will, after #4532, always think of your handle as standing for Boobs On A Console. :-bd
I hereby nominate Boac for two Golden Globes Awards.

Caco

fin
Capt
Capt

#4555 Post by fin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 pm

Add me to the list of people with TONS of paper maps. I have National Geographic war maps from WW the FIRST, touring maps from Esso and Texaco from the mid to late 1950s, and for many years, I would buy local maps from the many places I visited. I have the entire Isle of Long taped together in two long strips of the 1:24,000 US Geodetic Survey map collection, showing every building existing in 1956 or so.

When herself and I got 'lost' between the Grand Canyon and Vidal, Calif (gas = $6 US per US gallon), our pathetic little gps and the telephones were quite inadequate, and I swore I would never go motoring again without good paper maps to back up the electronic stuff. Maps which were FREE in any service station when you filled up your car and several attendants would do the windshield, check oil and water, check tire pressure and wear and recommend good diners for a meal.

Happy Motoring indeed (except for stopping every 50 miles to add a quart of oil to the 1938 Plymouth.)
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#4556 Post by izod tester » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:55 pm

I also had the entire UK 50,000 maps and also most of West Germany, France, Denmark and N Italy but disposed of most of them when we moved here. I do have all of UK 50k and 25k as digital tiles and also subscriptions for the equivalent French IGN maps, so can print out whatever I need for a particular trip. I also use the ViewRanger app on my tablet and phone with access to the same mapping data as well as Open Cycle map and derived maps such as open ski maps.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4557 Post by ricardian » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:24 pm
A sunny but windy day here, gusting 46. A mere breeze in comparison to ricardian's abode - it was gusting 73 in Kirkwall half an hour ago so I expect Stronsay is much the same.
It did get a bit windy on Monday afternoon. So much so that the power failed at 5pm and, although some parts of the island soon had power again, power to Whitehall village did not return until 1pm today (Tuesday) after a team from mainland arrived on the morning ferry and, with the aid of the island's electricity team, soon had the broken cable repaired.. Fortunately I have a Calor gas cooker, several portable Calor gas heaters (and several spare 15kg butane containers) along with candles & matches, a legacy from our arrival 15 years ago when power cuts were more frequent than they are now.

Wind speeds on Orkney
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4558 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:23 pm

.........to look at the signs on the overhead gantries on the motorway ...........
Remember when PanAm landed at Northolt instead of Heathrow ? After that they painted arrows on top of a large gasometer ( gas holder ) to the North of Hounslow (?)

I still have a load of maps in the car, NZ not being embedded in my brain, like my pre-teen memory of Yorks. and Lancs., none of this in-car GPS nonsense. A visiting friend got lost recently, having inserted "Direct to" in his GPS, and was eventually totally lost in the midst of farm tracks and semi-rural roads that the GPS had used instead of the more prominent, but not as direct, main highway. Nor do I get a constantly nagging "Digital Doris" telling me to turn left in 78 Km. ( Mrs. ExS does that ! )

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4559 Post by Boac » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:26 pm

I hereby nominate Boac for two Golden Globes Awards.
- ooh! Do I get to fondle them and put my head between them and go...............?

I accept the nomination!!!!!!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4560 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:31 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:23 pm
A visiting friend got lost recently, having inserted "Direct to" in his GPS, and was eventually totally lost in the midst of farm tracks and semi-rural roads that the GPS had used instead of the more prominent, but not as direct, main highway.
Shortly after receiving my current car (with inbuilt satnav) I headed for a remote part of Ettrick Valley.
Having selected the shortest route option I found that I had to detour when I reached an 'agricultural vehicles only' ford and then again when it became obvious that the goat track over the hill wasn't going to be negotiable with a car.