The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#4621 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:44 am

Sore throat, aches and pains... I have already had enough of the day.

Weather - EGSS 110457Z 1106/1212 32006KT 9999 FEW015 SCT030 TEMPO 1106/1108 5000 BR BKN010 PROB30 TEMPO 1106/1108 3000 DZ BKN003 PROB30 TEMPO 1115/1206 7000 BKN014 BECMG 1203/1206 26014KT TEMPO 1206/1209 BKN012 PROB30 TEMPO 1209/1212 7000 RA BKN008

Caco's out of the game today. Back to bed for me.

Caco

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4622 Post by ian16th » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 am

I once shared a lift with the man that has become the President of Pakistan.

Hat, coat..............
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4623 Post by OFSO » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 am

Wrenched shoulder from carrying gas cylinder downstairs. Nose blocked from last week's cold. Couldn't get comfortable in bed last night. Outside it's three degrees and force nine wind again. But...sunny.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4624 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:17 am

Another boring post about Napoleon------ my great, great, great grandfather on my mother's side, Mark Malam (1788-1862), was a Colour Sergeant in the 20th Regiment of Foot during the Peninsular War (1808-14) and was one of the soldiers who guarded Napoleon when he was exiled on St. Helena.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4625 Post by handsfree » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 am

Rejoice, Friday is once again upon us.

The docs have been fiddling about with my medication which has resulted in a headache I would rather not have.
It's a 10 pints of Owd Roger level headache.

4C and CAVOK. Light rain Prob 30 for later.

Slasher

#4626 Post by Slasher » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:27 am

Afternoon. 4pm o'clock here with a not that bad 31C and clear.
handsfree wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 am
4C and CAVOK. Light rain Prob 30 for later.
Yeh saw that earlier HF. Downtown Cacoville is 6C with a couple of PROBs too. The Ascot Manor Pool & Gardens is currently 30C with a PROB for a late thundery this evening.

Ice Station Slasher recorded 16C at 5.59 smorning which I'd gotten up to go for me morning run. That's way too cold even with a full track suit so instead I made Apsara her brekky and took the little bloke to school. I had my usual begging bowl of raw oats with blueberries and a glass of OJ. After Ap left for work I snuck in 2 pieces of toast with coffee. :ymdevil:

On the slate front nothing is happening. Builder says there still isn't enough orders for high quality stuff to despatch a truck from the 'kok. I obtained from him the supplier's number and rang him myself - but his English is about as good as my Thai so we got nowhere. Rang Ap at work and asked her to ring him herself. She told me the damn gIt said no way it'll be sent up till maybe next month. The main pissoffery was this "maybe" sh!t. I wanted the gazebo completed before I buggered off to my new job but that can't be done now. So the objective is to have as much of it done before I leave. The supplier gave Ap his address.

I rang the Daffy girls at Don Muang and asked is it possible to pick up boxes of the slate and have it piped up to us on the 737. They said that can be done but they'd have to charge an arm and a leg for freight costs. I was gonna hang up when another chick grabbed the phone and said if Ap brings down a couple of large suitcases on her next visit and loads 'em up with the slate, they will travel with her on the return leg and an FOC will be quietly wangled. I tell ya those chicks are real honeys! :-*

I'll have to work out the logistics as Ap can't trundle into the slate joint and walk out dragging two huge suitcases full of bloody slate weighing a ton each. There are a few options but I'll have to pick the one that dovetails into her day. Plus there's the weight factor - if each case is going to break the loaderers backs getting into the aircraft hold then a forklift will be needed because Daffy don't do containers. A forklift has to be ordered and signed for. This could draw beancounter attention for the service as forkliftery is not a FOC thing and is spensive. However the girls are the smartest on the planet and they'll work around it.

Hmm...that reminds me. I have to pass Ap a wad of Baht before she leaves on Sunday night as my 'contribution' to the Daffy girls's BKK retirement fund is due.

I think I'll relax now and down an extra glass of moonshine behind everyone's back! :)

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4627 Post by Ibbie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 am

Got my gas delivery man to carry full barrell to place it was required yesterday, OFSO.

Mix of clouds and sun out there today

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4628 Post by Wodrick » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:02 am

Morning,
Cold too, just scraping into double figures here.

SM has just gone out getting her red nose following, nice start to her annual event.
Out tonight to celebrate another year.

Menieres does seem controllable nowadays, I had to have a read up on it. 'bout 50 years ago I had a pal whose father had it and at that time he was bed ridden for days at a time. Other times he was nearly normal. Always an obnoxious sod you see.
The boy is not the luckyist person on the planet is he, all the best.

That is about it, all my jobs involve water in varying quantities, not really the temperature for it.

Edit. You two remind me a gas bottle run is prudent one thunks.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Slasher

#4629 Post by Slasher » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 am

OFSO wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 am
Wrenched shoulder from carrying gas cylinder downstairs. Nose blocked from last week's cold. Couldn't get comfortable in bed last night.
Well at least you're not a shipwreck mate. An old codger I know up the road (80 not out I believe) is blind in one eye, has had 3 heart attacks since 60 so he can't do nothing physical (except walk slow) currently has a broken arm and I heard a day or so ago he tore his heel tendon. Poor bugger.

Just remember that age old saying mate: I once complained I had no woman till I saw a man who had no dick. ;)))

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4630 Post by ricardian » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:46 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:59 am
4mastacker wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:34 am
You escaped intact from the Sgt's Mess Christmas drinks?? Good effort sir....or you were bloody lucky.....
As an innocent and wet behind the ears Acting Sub Lieutenant, one Christmas I was invited to the Chief Petty Officers' Mess at RNAS Sembawang, Singapore. I remember being plied with more than a drop of neaters*. As officers we were not entitled to the daily rum ration so this was my first experience of it. I don't remember leaving or how I got back to the Wardroom but it must have given me the taste for it as I'm rarely without a bottle of Pusser's Rum in the house. The 15 year old version is particularly pleasant!
rum.jpg
*neaters = undiluted rum. Grog = two parts water to one part rum for Leading Hands and ranks below.
You should have taken "sippers" instead of "gulpers"!
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#4631 Post by Octopussy2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:02 am

Hmm, not happy. Day 4 of braces and I'm still really struggling to eat anything - yesterday I spend about 25 minutes eating a quarter of a pain au chocolat (FFS, not exactly crunchy!) and then gave up on the rest. And I have a mouth full of ulcers/sores (sorry) where they're rubbing. I have absolutely no idea how long this is likely to last.

On the plus side, the heating may almost be fixed and we now have hot water again.

I have just noticed a massive ladder in the black tights I'm wearing to mitigate the fact that this skirt is almost certainly too short to wear at work; I'm now wondering uneasily how long it has been there... Buggerit.

Slasher

#4632 Post by Slasher » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:14 am

Octopussy2 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:02 am
I have just noticed a massive ladder in the black tights I'm wearing...

Hmm....that can't be too comfortable! ;)))

IMG_1042.JPG

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4633 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:57 am

Work here has finished for the week. Our chap gets paid at the end of the month (his decision). Every Friday I say 'Do you need anything for the weekend'. It is usually the equivalent of one or two Euro, today it was two he must be really planning to party this weekend.

As the Capt reports lower 30s bit of Cu building up Cb forecast but we had thunder all last night but no rain. Had to water again today.

We have both been bitten by summat, 'er on 'er knee me on my port foot. Nothing serious just irritating. Hope all with ailments and step ladders stuck in places making walking difficult recover.

Spoke to two people yesterday who have to send dosh to families in Zim. You pay the money transfer people in USD or BWP here but the folk in Zim get 'bonds' on which the exchange rate is very 'erotic' and will not be accepted by most places. Even pharmacies until very recently when the government jumped on them.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4634 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Hah! Just woken up and see a ladder!

This is a LADDER!

Laddered stocking.JPG
Laddered stocking.JPG (27.48 KiB) Viewed 304 times
=))

Caco

603DX
Capt
Capt

#4635 Post by 603DX » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:17 am
Another boring post about Napoleon------ my great, great, great grandfather on my mother's side, Mark Malam (1788-1862), was a Colour Sergeant in the 20th Regiment of Foot during the Peninsular War (1808-14) and was one of the soldiers who guarded Napoleon when he was exiled on St. Helena.
Congratulations C16, you have an interesting ancestor - not boring at all! My antecedents as far back as three "greats" were probably transported for life for sheep-stealing, or some similar transgression in this rural county of Kent, so I hesitate to explore the family tree that far ... ;)))

Also, 10/10 for using the adjective "Peninsular" correctly. You're clearly a gentleman and a scholar, it's astonishing how many folk doggedly insist on using it as a noun, rather than the correct "Peninsula" - including several educated members here ... :D

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4636 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:24 pm

603 - the only trouble with getting involved with family history is that it is addictive and never ending! The number of various types of ancestral transgressions in the 19th century is fascinating. On two occasions I found that in the middle of the last century family executors did not follow the instructions in the wills of the deceased. A long dead solicitor was complicit in one of these outright frauds and unknowingly at the time I lost out financially as a result!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4637 Post by ian16th » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:26 pm

My Great-Great-Great Granddad was a smuggler, he he got caught and did 2 years in York prison.

He got off lightly, because the magistrate for his trial, was his 'business partner'.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#4638 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:34 pm

I started my career as a smuggler aged about 12. I went on an exchange visit to an obnoxious French brat whose parents lived in a fancy apartment in the 16th. arondissement of Paris. They also had a 'chateau' in Normandy from which I made the great escape, but that's another story. His sister, who was really sweet, gave me a tortoise, which I smuggled back to the UK in my hand baggage. To say I was **** myself when I went through UK customs - there was no security in those days - was an understatement.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4639 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Readers may remember a huge branch coming down over the entrance to our driveway over Christmas which was removed. It had fallen on a dead tree. The latter must have been weakened because that has now fallen across the driveway and this is an even bigger bastard. Not exactly a twig. We are trapped in again. Good job we got the booze supplies in yesterday. It has also brought down the house sign - minor problem. Fortunately our project manager is just back from seeing his family in Zim and has agreed to come on Sunday with a team.

And, we have Jungle Bunny noise again.

And, it is hot and no rain. Rumbles again but we will see. Pool time with a scotch one thinks.
Attachments
Bugga.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#4640 Post by Octopussy2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Ex-A, very relieved the booze situation is fine for your enforced period of house arrest! #:-S

Caco, it didn't quite look like that but definitely had potential...

Almost the weekend. Have just talked very pissed-off colleague out of walking out.... Friday pm office politics! But beats working...