BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts

Do you think the UK leaving the European Union would be a good thing?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 50

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: BREXIT - A Poll & Discussion

#2421 Post by FD2 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:38 pm

Divide and rule perhaps?

Corbyn's 'plan' might well have been formulated to save his position from the Labour party members (that really means Momentum), dismayed at him not backing Remain. It's two years too late for May to be 'robust' with the EU. What was really behind Tusk's jibe about a place in Hell?

Slightly off topic (slightly) I see that France has recalled its ambassador to Italy. It seems that the Italians are fed up because the French only return migrants to Italy, rather than the left wing agitators the Carabinieri would like to interview. Then an Italian politician has his photo taken with a group of gilets jaune who are standing for election. What a perfect excuse to feel insulted!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2422 Post by llondel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:40 am

I think Tusk is getting angry and frustrated that the UK didn't bend to his wishes and it looks like he might lose completely as a No Deal exit is looking increasingly likely. It's brinkmanship at the moment, Theresa is saying they must give legal guarantees or Parliament won't back the deal, they're saying no change to the deal on offer, neither really wants No Deal so who's going to give ground first? Or worse, will they agree an extension to Article 50 (no point if neither side has budged by the end of March, it'll just prolong the staring match).

Capetonian

#2423 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 am

There are several reports in this morning's news about how the Frogs and Germans are worried about how a no deal Brexit will damage their exports.

Meanwhile :
Brussels is terrified of Brexit being a success – no wonder they’re threatening hellfire.
Germany falls into 'recession' as Brussels slashes EU growth forecasts
French firms start to panic about no deal Brexit

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2424 Post by OFSO » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:14 am

Also reports of France v. Germany in matter of new gas pipeline. That entente cordial don't last long. And France plus Germany against Brussels re new trainset. Oh my....

compo
Capt
Capt

#2425 Post by compo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:10 pm

If the port the boatless ferry company was planning to use as a base closed in the near future, would it make a difference?

(In the spirit of if a tree fell and no one around ...)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2426 Post by OFSO » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:21 pm

Or did clocks tick off the time before the Big Bang ?

BBC TV has just had a program seggy on British in Spain after No Deal Brexit. Biggest problem, said BBC, is that their pets passports won't work. Brits expressed opinions they won't come if can't bring their pets. Nice the BBC is so concerned with pets. All British interviewed were living in a place the interviewer called Ali Kanti, by the way. Only part of Spain the BBC has ever heard of.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2427 Post by llondel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:27 pm

There should be no reason why pet passports wouldn't work if there was political will for it. The fundamental reason for the UK wanting something like that in the first place is rabies, and originally they were introduced so you could get your pet vaccinated and show that it had had top-ups to keep it protected. Originally you had to to a bunch of stuff 6 months in advance, but I think it's down to 21 days now. I can't speak for Spanish rules, but there is no reason the UK couldn't continue to allow animals in with suitable proof of vaccinations. Similarly for Spain, you might need a less convienent document set but no reason apart from bloodymindedness why it couldn't work.

I know, I've imported cats and dogs both before the existence of paperwork, so 6 months in jail, to some with full paperwork, straight in, and some that hadn't completed the 6 months, so a couple of months in jail.

Capetonian

#2428 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:11 pm

One of my doom-monger remainer friends has told me that I won't get my Spanish and Frog pensions as they won't pay them to UK nationals after 29MAR, regardless of residence. This all reminds me of the Y2K bug and the prophecies of doom, hellfire, and brimstone.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#2429 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:44 am

OFSO wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:21 pm
Or did clocks tick off the time before the Big Bang ?

BBC TV has just had a program seggy on British in Spain after No Deal Brexit. Biggest problem, said BBC, is that their pets passports won't work. Brits expressed opinions they won't come if can't bring their pets. Nice the BBC is so concerned with pets. All British interviewed were living in a place the interviewer called Ali Kanti, by the way. Only part of Spain the BBC has ever heard of.
There's actually some truth in the BBC's concern about pets. My sister and BiL are. or, were thinking about spending a year in France....their concern however is the uncertainty about any changes to the quarantine rules post Brexit as there is no way they would be prepared to incarcerate their dogs for an extended period.

Meanwhile, some great news for those of you wishing to come out of retirement in the UK's hour, well probably decades to be more realistic, of need !

Obviously, those whose sensitivities were deeply offended at the sight of pig farmers being allowed to cross the same portals of an upmarket supermarket chain as themselves, may not really be suitable for a position with Defra, likewise those who get terribly emotional as the term "unflappable " gets mentioned. You can see the potential appeal however for those previously employed in an Admin capacity.....a perfect opportunity to continue with the gross incompetence and " managerial " ineptitude by rigidly conforming to the implementation of rules and regulations ....

Any of you thinking of applying ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -civilians

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2430 Post by OFSO » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:44 am

Well here's something which is no rumour, just pure fact, and shows the EU acting against citizens interests. Until 1.1.2018 banks were free to impose, or not, bank charges (not commission) paid on pensions which originated in euros but were paid in other currencies. Most banks didn't bother. However from that date under EU Directive 2015/2366 it is mandatory that banks pass the charges to customers. Coordinated Organisations pensions MUST be paid to your country of residence so all of us living in non-euro member states now HAVE to pay bank charges which euro recipients do not. Reprisals for not joining the eurozone ? You decide.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#2431 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:14 am

OFSO wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:44 am
Well here's something which is no rumour, just pure fact, and shows the EU acting against citizens interests. Until 1.1.2018 banks were free to impose, or not, bank charges (not commission) paid on pensions which originated in euros but were paid in other currencies. Most banks didn't bother. However from that date under EU Directive 2015/2366 it is mandatory that banks pass the charges to customers. Coordinated Organisations pensions MUST be paid to your country of residence so all of us living in non-euro member states now HAVE to pay bank charges which euro recipients do not. Reprisals for not joining the eurozone ? You decide.
I would suggest "reprisal " is suitably emotive for many on here.

That said, you can't blame the EU for adopting this stance. Think of it as being a fringe benefit of being part of the community. As the UK has decided to stick one, or two, fingers up to this community, there's no reason to retain or be granted the same benefits.

Finally, relax........ chaps..the Guardian has other political cartoonists besides the excellent Mr Bell. Here's another for you....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... it-cartoon

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2432 Post by OFSO » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:52 am

So K&C you approve of the state (EU) meddling in private business (banking) by imposing unnecessary and unwanted financial charges on Pensioners. Great.

Krystal n Chips
Capt
Capt

#2433 Post by Krystal n Chips » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:16 am

OFSO wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:52 am
So K&C you approve of the state (EU) meddling in private business (banking) by imposing unnecessary and unwanted financial charges on Pensioners. Great.
Oh dear. That smacks of desperation.

Here's a cut and paste from your link...

Coordinated Organisations pensions MUST be paid to your country of residence so all of us living in non-euro member states now HAVE to pay bank charges

[/
u]

Of course, it could just be my complete misunderstanding of matters, but, the bit about "non euro member states ", such as, erm, lets think..the UK perhaps ? may have a relevance here.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2434 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:55 am

..and now for an alternative view of the "backstop".

It's always my fault - SWMBO

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2435 Post by OFSO » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:34 am

.....and Switzerland. And Turkey (lots of former NATO Pensioner there.) And the USA.

Capetonian

#2436 Post by Capetonian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:44 pm

The EU seems to be functioning beautifully, everyone happy and peaceful.
“Chaos. Disaster. Costs.” These are all words Dutch businesses use to describe how Brexit will hit their trade with the UK.
The Netherlands, seen as one of Theresa May’s closest European allies, has a lot to lose, particularly with a disorderly departure.
Relations between France and Italy have hit a low ebb, with France claiming they are at the lowest point since the end of the Second World War.
The catalyst for the latest row was when Italy's deputy prime minister met with members of the "yellow vest" protests. France recalled its ambassador to Italy in protest.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2437 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:25 pm

Someone in the contingency planning department has had a re-think.

The department should have carried out the checks before letting the contract.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2438 Post by Boac » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:20 pm

Yes, I was baying for Grayling blood, but an expanded news item on the Beeb explained that Arklow were planning a major ferry operation of their own from Ramsgate to Calais into which this 'backup' would fit. It appears that they pulled out and Grayling had been unable to previously give more detail of the 'ferry-less' company without breaching commercial sensitivities.

However, as with everything media and government related, I have no doubt there will be more 'revelations' to come.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2439 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Capetonian

#2440 Post by Capetonian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:55 pm

It's all coming unravelled at the seams, just as many forecast it would. The self-destruct seems to be gathering momentum.
An influential economic research centre has warned that 100,000 jobs could be put at risk in Germany if the UK leaves the EU without securing a deal.

The study by the Halle Institute for Economic Research found that jobs in the car industry would be particularly vulnerable to the uncertainties created by Britain tumbling out of the EU without securing a favourable trading relationship.

Export giant Germany sold 770,000 vehicles to the UK in 2017 and 15,000 jobs in its automobile sector are reliant on this huge level of trade.

The study estimates that Wolfsburg, hometown of Volkswagen, would be hit hardest by a collapse in exports that would result from a no-deal exit.
Italy is drawing up emergency plans to safeguard financial stability and keep trade with the UK flowing even if there is a no-deal Brexit, if necessary through a bilateral deal between Rome and London.

The country’s insurgent Lega-Five Star coalition is increasingly worried that a mishandling of the EU’s Brexit crisis could push Italy's fragile economy into a dangerous downward slide and risk a funding crisis for its sovereign debt at a treacherous moment.

Premier Giuseppe Conte has told his Brexit Task Force to focus urgently on ports, airports, customs, and the handling of food trade, as well as the status of Italians living in the UK.