Any animal killers here?

General Chit Chat
Slasher

Re: Any animal killers here?

#221 Post by Slasher » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:01 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:47 am
Here you go Capt:

A canned hunt is a trophy hunt in which an animal is kept in a confined area, such as in a fenced-in area, increasing the likelihood of the hunter obtaining a kill. According to one dictionary, a canned hunt is a "hunt for animals that have been raised on game ranches until they are mature enough to be killed for trophy collections.
Thanks for your reply sah. That the human specie is capable of the above is unreservedly obscene. It's an Auschwitz for animals pure and simple...without the Zyklon.

But anyway - amidst all this nasty stuff could you show this pic to TS? I know it'll cheer her up a bit. :)

IMG_0059.PNG
IMG_0059.PNG (772.52 KiB) Viewed 964 times

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#222 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:59 am

Slasher thank you for the lovely picture :x

There is hope for the white lions; in this months Airlink magazine there is an article with some gorgeous pictures about the work that The Global White Lion Protection Trust (GWLPT) is carrying out in South Africa. Set up in 2001 they rescued 10 white lions from a breeding for hunting camp and three years later they were released back into the wild. The following year they had cubs. In Kruger national park apparently there were cubs born in 2014. :)
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#223 Post by Woody » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Some more pictures for Mrs Ex-a and anyone else who appreciates wildlife without getting the urge to shoot it :D

https://www.diyphotography.net/these-ar ... oCtBMKkh9A
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#224 Post by Woody » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:03 am

Really enjoyed this programme, even had a sensible discussion in our rest room about was this the correct thing to do :-?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46261959

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#225 Post by Woody » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:59 pm

I’m sure that we’re going to have this rammed down our throats by Disney for the next few months, but it’s definitely a beautiful trailer :x

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#226 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:21 am

Yet another American w@nker. He claims that he killed in self defence although he was on a trophy hunt. We have been charged a few times by elephants. Never a young one and never a full charge. it is extremely rare for an elephant to go into a full charge straight away. And, both of them! They usually do a mock charge first then back off giving you time to retreat. His guide would know the difference between 'mock' and 'full' it is obvious. Absolute ***** excuse. Hope his business goes down the tubes just like the American w@nker dentist did.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... fense.html
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#227 Post by Hydromet » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 am

If these wankers really want to show how brave and skillful they are, let's see them track down their prey, with a camera, lens limited to say 300mm focal length, and get some nice, candid shots of some big game. Evens up the odds just a bit.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#228 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 am

Hydromet wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 am
If these wankers really want to show how brave and skillful they are, let's see them track down their prey, with a camera, lens limited to say 300mm focal length, and get some nice, candid shots of some big game. Evens up the odds just a bit.
Yes indeed Hydro which is exactly what we do, don't know about the 300mm though. I bet that they didn't even track those ellies they knew where they were. We have spent hours tracking animals and sometimes never found them but we find the actual activity interesting and usually rewarding. We spent 4 hours once tracking a cheetah with two cubs. Very difficult terrain to track due to short grass, can't see the tracks. Gave up at dusk and went back to camp to find a leopard lying by the side of the path. For the record ellies are easy to track. They can't exactly walk on tip toes and always leave a whole trail of dung. You can tell the age by the size of the prints and the older they are the smoother their pads become. You can tell the sex by where the urine has landed in relation to the track. Right, that is the ellie tracking lesson for today. Tomorrow we will do the difference between leopard and hyena tracks, both the same size and similar.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#229 Post by ian16th » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:54 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 am
Hydromet wrote:
Tomorrow we will do the difference between leopard and hyena tracks, both the same size and similar.
I was once close enough to a hyena to smell the disgusting thing!
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#230 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:06 am

ian16th wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:54 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 am
Hydromet wrote:
Tomorrow we will do the difference between leopard and hyena tracks, both the same size and similar.
I was once close enough to a hyena to smell the disgusting thing!
We think that is unfair to name them one of the ugly five. The cubs are great fun. Sure they smell but so do many of the locals. They also do a great job of cleaning up the bush. They will eat anything. Including a tourist baby here a few years ago. The stupid parents left the tent flap slightly open for air. The hyenas got the smell of the dirty nappy and had it for dinnner. Yum yum.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#231 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Can't even trust similar species not to kill each other.
An endangered Sumatran tiger has been killed by another tiger at London Zoo.

Male tiger Asim was brought to the zoo from a Danish safari park 10 days ago in the hope he would be the "perfect mate" for long-term resident Melati.

After spending time apart in the tiger enclosure to get used to the new arrangement, the two were then introduced to each other earlier.

But tensions "quickly escalated", things became "more aggressive" and Melati died in a fight, the zoo said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-47170454
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Capetonian

#232 Post by Capetonian » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Marital bliss.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#233 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:37 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:23 pm
Marital bliss.
They took his wife away from him and chucked him a new one. He wanted the first one back. Can't blame him. He had her trained, she did all the washing up and everything. See that they are going to have another bash at chucking another tiger into the den. I would not like to have the responsibility for that.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#234 Post by Magnus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Warthogs are fugly, but really funny to watch. Ranger told us the tails provide the wifi for the camp. :) Nice as carpaccio, too (the warthogs, not the ranger).

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#235 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:03 pm

Warthogs are very brave little critters.

Magnus, to pervert the Pink Floyd, Leave Them Warthogs alone!

Cappacio indeed! :p

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#236 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:30 pm

There is one safari camp we frequent that has a resident sounder of warthogs of up to ten including piglets. They are very amusing. For some bizarre reason they all like going into the lodge ladies loo. The gents is exactly the same and alongside but always the ladies. They have been doing this for years.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#237 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:30 pm
There is one safari camp we frequent that has a resident sounder of warthogs of up to ten including piglets. They are very amusing. For some bizarre reason they all like going into the lodge ladies loo. The gents is exactly the same and alongside but always the ladies.
Of course they go into the Ladies! The urinal in the Gents is too bloody tall for 'em, so they have to use the Ladies loo.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#238 Post by Woody » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#239 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Woody wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:10 pm
Some gorgeous photos :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-47216227
Indeed; makes you wonder why anybody wants to kill such animals for fun or so called 'sport' . X(

My favourite is the one of the Wild Dogs with the lions number two . :x
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Flintstone
Snr FO
Snr FO

#240 Post by Flintstone » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:54 pm

I shoot animals for vermin control or meat (rabbits, foxes and deer). It is done for good reason, not fun, and in a way that will mean little to no suffering. If it's not a good, clear shot then the safety stays on until another time.

No, I don't unbderstand the trophy hunter mentality either. Maybe as a by-product of the above but for the 'trophy' alone, no.