The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#5461 Post by OFSO » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:58 am

Barman just came on the PA to tell us all that due to exceptional weather conditions Mt Blanc can seen to the east from the top deck. Just a ploy to get travellers up there to buy breakfasts.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5462 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:05 am

Are announcements given in English as well as French?
Will that cease in April?

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5463 Post by Ibbie » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:20 am

Slash

It comes to mind that you are about to build a gazeebo and have brought all that slate in on Daffy.

Does it have deep enough foundations to put a few of them ejits in and concrete over?

If it does and you go down that path, you could go out to said structure in an evening and vent at them with nothing coming back.

ex-A

Does the name of Ray Ward on VC10s ring any bells?

Dog requirements have been gathered in.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5464 Post by OFSO » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:20 am

Announcements are given in French, always, plus....depending on linguistic ability of the staff. Always also in Castilliano heading south (never in Catalan) on trains that cross the border. Not infrequently in English. As an aside, a Catalan government minister was speaking in English - with a fine Scots brogue - last night on French TV. One never knows......

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5465 Post by ian16th » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:42 pm

Just heard that my grandson has joined the Australian Air Force Cadets.
Cynicism improves with age

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5466 Post by llondel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:53 pm

Morning all, a windy, wet one too, albeit quite warm, almost 16C. Flood warnings locally since yesterday evening, and while driving to work there was one of these fancy emergency alerts on the phone for an evacuation notice along one of the local rivers, so presumably a bit too much rain up in the hills. Sitting here frustrated in my ability do to anything but post, because the main office internet is down and so I can't get access to stuff I need.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#5467 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Ibbie wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:20 am
Slash

It comes to mind that you are about to build a gazeebo and have brought all that slate in on Daffy.

Does it have deep enough foundations to put a few of them ejits in and concrete over?

If it does and you go down that path, you could go out to said structure in an evening and vent at them with nothing coming back.

ex-A

Dog requirements have been gathered in.
Yes but can't remember where from. What was he and which Squadron? The dirty tankers (101) or the shiny 10s (10)?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5468 Post by Ibbie » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Shiny 10's I think. Same rank as you was mentioned. Went off to fly for some freight outfit over the pond I think.

He's an old school mate of one of the guys down the local. I'll ask more.

Eddie has just been taken for a wash and blow, to get rid of the dog refuge smell.

He's spent most of the time since he arrived here on the settee next to me watching tv!

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5469 Post by Woody » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:59 pm

Sitting in Club Class, just waiting to push back :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5470 Post by Ibbie » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:11 pm

More on Ray Ward for ex-A.

His claim to fame was he flew a Bucaaneer on the Tory Canton raid. He went to Pan Am and then American. Not a frieight jockey.
I’m sat having a drink with his cousin.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5471 Post by Wodrick » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Ah well *Ibbie* up when the sparrow doth fart to show him round in the morning 😊
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5472 Post by Ibbie » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:32 pm

I’ve got him in the local with me.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5473 Post by Wodrick » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:35 pm

No harm in training him from the start

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5474 Post by Wodrick » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:18 am

See *Woody* just passing that most desirable place Lagos just 5h30m to go.

Slasher

#5475 Post by Slasher » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:50 am

Morning. 7.30am here. Currently clear sky, dead calm wind, a cold 18C. Sitting under a tree outside to clear my head.

After a marathon session at the War table yesterday, interrupted only by drunken yelling by yours truly and a Buddhist temple visit, the dust has settled with the following resolutions:

- Apsara has disowned her family except for her sister and first cousin. They are now persona non grata. She will not even attend their funerals when they fall off the perch, which for a Thai is almost unprecedented. Such is her depth of anger and disgust. She couldn't believe the vile venom spouted by her dear old granny and that of her complete arsehole of a brother.

- We will have no contact with her family (save those mentioned above) ever again and vv.

- After they left I contacted the Daffy staff and told them straight that no longer can Ap's clan sponge off the goodwill I have with the airline, and to charge them all the full airfare back to Hat Yai except for the sis and cuz. This I found out later through the sis they did, as it's quite an effort by the staff (who I've known for some years) to give them 75% off for "goodwill" reasons.

- The sis and cousin are welcome to come up and see us whenever they want on the proviso that they NEVER talk about the clan, be it births deaths house-collapses barmitzfahs whatever. This was sworn in the temple by all three in front of the statue of the fat happy bloke with incense sticks burning. It doesn't get any more resolute than that around here.

- Our 9yo son was also EXCLUDED from the clan at the behest of granny and the rest. Can you believe that??!! Me and Ap never intended he be included in this sh!t. Ap begged that he still be persona grata with the clan but granny said he has the stench of farang blood in his veins which was clapped and agreed to by the clan (except the sis and cousin). Such is the vile filth these people really are. You don't wanna know how I responded to that in the most insulting obscene Thai lingo I knew.

Apsara is completely devastated and a wreck from this week's war. Her greatest fear was that I'd walk out on her after her brother and parents revealed her past. Of course this gutless tactic had the complete opposite effect.

In the afternoon her uncle suggested we ALL go to the temple to calm down and pray for a peaceful solution. Everybody readily agreed - except for granny. If I was going she didn't want to. Christ... I tell you looks and charm can be deceiving. She's a complete racist bitch in every respect. Since she's matriarchal only Ap me the sis and cousin went. The above mentioned oath then took place.

And yep if I could've got away with it I'd've buried the bastards under the gazeeb foundations. Trouble is I had to put off the initial work till all this sh!t was over. No northern Thai wants to build stuff on a property with exquisitely bad kharma. It rubs off on 'em apparently.

Our little bloke was spared as he was at school when the fighting was on, and stayed at his mate's place when the war went into evening overtime. It'll be some time before we can explain all this to him. He's a smart kid and knows something's up, but we can't find the words at present.

Sorry for the long post but there you are. After all the false crap "politeness" and "welcome back into the family" and "joy" of seeing our son and their superior spruking of having a "civilized" attitude to my family, in the end it was all a made-up ***** facade of lies.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5476 Post by boing » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:40 am

Sorry Slash, tough time.

The good thing is that Aspara and yourself went through the fire together and supported each other so you will stronger and closer together because of the experience.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#5477 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:28 am

Sorry it should end that way Capt but at least it is now over and you can get back to a civilised existence. 75% eh :-bd =)) Would have loved to be there at check in. You should have asked one of the girls to take a video.

Big village bash again today which we were invited to as the duty white VIP guests of the chief. Did one just a few weeks ago not doing another so soon. A complete pain in the butt. Said we had a lunch appointment in town. We have to leave the house otherwise the staff will grass on us. Not intentionally but may be asked where we were and they will say at home.

Ibbie I have heard the name maybe he served on the Squadron before me. I was on 10 Sqn about 1985 for 9 years.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#5478 Post by Slasher » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:33 am

Too right boing.

I'm about to take Ap out to lunch. She's been a weeping mess all morning. Also she has to drop into the office as she's had to be off work all week dealing with this mess. Fortunately her boss and workmates all understand.

What really got to her was their freely admitted hatred towards her son for no other reason than me being his father. The further extreme filth that eminated from their foul mouths even I can't repeat, but it is something I will never ever forget.

Edit: yes sah and there was nothing they could do about it. Cough up the extra or walk home!

Oh and you, TS, Caco and Mrs Caco will come up from BKK free. Just be prepared to carry 65kg of slate each! ;)))

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5479 Post by handsfree » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:08 am

Crumbs it's all been happening in the few days that I've failed to read in.
Slasher, what can I say, except that Aspra is well rid of the family. It must
be awful for Aspra but no doubt will have strengthened the bond between the
two of you. All history now.

Another fine start to the day; cold and a bit misty but great to garden in which
is what I've been doing the last few days. No man of the soil bit today though. Renal Clinic
at 10:50 and then into Derby afterwards for a snifter or two. The first for nearly two weeks. :((

Sorry to hear about your mate from the local Ibbie. A bit of an early departure.
Good news on the hound front though.

Anyway, rejoice, rejoice, today is FRIDAY. :-bd

Capetonian

#5480 Post by Capetonian » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:46 am

I hope you can return to some normality and harmony, Slash, what a dreadful situation. I used to think my MiL was the devil incarnate but compared to what you've been going through, she's an angel, and I have to say that despite her expressed dislike and disapproval of me, she has always treated our son as any grandparent should treat a grandchild.