The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Slasher

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#6261 Post by Slasher » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:24 am

At VTBS (BKK) in between flights at the moment airside.

My big worry is whether I can get past Honker's Customs with 3 precious bottles of Yousef's 'shine (one in each cargo bag). I have been told by the old bloke I'm replacing that if I declare it BEFORE the bags enter the machine they should be ok with it, and to give him a ring if anything seriously fuksup as he knows a coupla guys. Although the bottles are unmarked and well wrapped he said just act dumb, say it's Southern Comfort and pay any duty they want without making a song and dance about it.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6262 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:12 am

just act dumb, say it's Southern Comfort

Good advice. After all, who would willingly carry crap like that anywhere?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6263 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:48 am

Colleague of mine (a very nice fellow) had Southern Comfort one or two weeks ago and next day he was practically out of commission. How many weeks on/off are you schedule for Slasher?

Slasher

#6264 Post by Slasher » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:13 am

Crap? You sir are a philistine. Mo Yousef's creation is prized stuff! ;)))

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6265 Post by Ibbie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:42 am

Good morning.

It's FRIDAY!

Another blue sunny day out there, It was a tad chilly walking Ed in the campo this morning though.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6266 Post by handsfree » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:04 am

The wind is cutting up rough this morning. Blowing force 6 gusting force 7 in FSL terms.

Went to see the renal surgeon at Nottingham City Hospital yesterday to see the surgeon to assess me
for transplant surgery. Passed A1 and now awaiting my tissue matching to be done which should result
in me being on the active transplant list in 2 to 3 weeks. Another step towards normality (of sorts).

:-bd :YMPARTY:

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6267 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 am

Cyprus Sherry and Cyprus Brandy come in wicker bound flaggons. The duty into Malta wasps different. Hoskins flew in and declared the flagging to the RAF Police as Sherry (legal) and not Brandy (dutiable).

"No problem said the plod"

Sigh of relief.

"Will just take it back to the office, clear it with customs, and call the guy you say it is for."

Gulp.

I was driver 😀

At the office the guy for whom the brandy had been bought chickened out and refused to say if was for him. Malt customs arrived.

Friend sweating.

Malt customs uncorked flaggon and took big sniff.

Surprised friend still standing.

"Fine stuff this Cyprus Sherry" replaced cork "carry on"

Message received and understood. It was obviously too much trouble to make it official.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6268 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:21 am

Hands-free, but warm wind.

Good luck when you have the op.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6269 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:30 am

Morning folks. Good news HF. Hope they find you a spare part soon.

Standard day, blazing sunshine. Mammoths watered now the safari shower room is having a new wall built. Lataka, a sort of bamboo. Apart from the front we have it all around the estate the maintenance is constant and the cattle eat it. It is difficult to get hold of and is not cheap.

Hope you get your hooch through Capt. Those chinks can't take their pop. Give the customs officer a swig then just step over him.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6270 Post by Ibbie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:43 am

Just had a call from the Welsh beer Monster, advising me that Mrs IB and I are having dinner tomorrow night with him and his good lady at 20.30. Some rather good local restaurant in town. Not in diary....ooops!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6271 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 am

Trying to give our chap more rein as in a month he will be unsupervised for three months. He has never screwed up on lataka fencing before. Three hours work down the chute. The stalks are thinner at the top than the bottom so you invert every other one. We are going to have a wastage of a few feet at the top which has to be trimmed down level. He didn't want to waste the thick parts so put all the thin at the top. Below was the result. I have no idea what he thought he was going to do to fill in the triangle top left. Bloody idiot. It is going to take at least an hour to take it down and recover the very expensive string. Then start again.

Solar oven is currently at 130 degs. I will shove his head in it.
Attachments
Fence.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Octopussy2
Capt
Capt

#6272 Post by Octopussy2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:46 pm

I've been away so have just seen the news about the FSL; very sorry to read that. An absolute legend.

London was much as usual, although with unusually foul weather. Back there again next Tuesday for the annual rubber chicken and old men dinner - I am actively looking forward to it this year, which can only be a sign of age. The speeches can only be got through with a tidal wave of alcohol though... I fear I won't be doing very well on Wednesday... but I have a recovery lunch already booked.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6273 Post by handsfree » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:07 am

We're still enjoying kite flying weather here.
Forecast for this afternoon is heavy rain of which I give not a hoot as I shall be in the pub
watching the rugby. Assuming of course that the pub isn't flooded as the Trent is
beginning to do it's Nile delta impersonation.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6274 Post by Woody » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:54 am

JuniorWoody got back from Iceland last night pretty exhausted 💤 , not expecting him to surface for a couple of hours yet despite the wind howling , isn’t Caco meant to be egg beating today?
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#6275 Post by Capetonian » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:15 am

Ref. mention of Southern Comfort, to this day just the sight of a bottle of that stuff behind a bar invokes feelings of nausea.

Years ago I had a g/f who was a tour guide for Springbok Atlas Safaris. I got a call in the middle of one night that she was in the Oudtshoorn Hospital with 'alcohol poisoning'. Apparently she'd seen off the best part of a bottle of Southern Comfort. I drove up the next day to fetch her and on the way she threw up a couple of times in my car. Despite steam cleaning done professionally I always imagined that I could smell it and eventually sold the car.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6276 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:26 am

I was concerned that this morning flight would be adventurous, like miss it but it turned to be ok. Cape you are right about airlines imposing self check in and SLF saying is good having no other choice.

They couldn't find my reservation using only my ID card. So much for paperless ticket. A shaving foam can was confiscated but I have hopes to get it back. Espresso in Corfu.

Octo enjoy your trip in London.

Slasher

#6277 Post by Slasher » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:57 am

Phew! Finally back at the pub. A good day with all the paperwork done and meeting the facility personnel and well as learning around the facility itself. Have finally met the old bastard I'm replacing.

Big day tomorrow where I have to prove meself:
- four x 30 min briefings on whatever subject is asked. Two will be on Systems, two on mem and non-mem drills. I won't be told what particular system or drill until I'm there in the briefing room.
- six hour sim session (2 x 3h with a 45min tea break in between). They call 'em tea breaks here even though 99% of everyone slurps coffee.

It's gonna be a bloody long demanding day.

Anyway I'm gonna quickly gloss over the books then hit the sack very early. Call time is 4am for a 6am start!

Moonshine time! 🥃

PS: moonshine entry no problem. Ended up just paying duty on only one bottle.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6278 Post by Ibbie » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:02 am

Morning ALL.

Another sunny day here. Temp should get over 20c again. However cold spell expected with some rain early next week, with normality returning at the weekend.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6279 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:11 am

Morning folks. Blazing sunshine. Two hippos in the water out front at the mo. They were out of the water by our fence at dawn. The house is set well back from the fence so not a problem. The guest accommodation is right by the fence. Lying in bed there you can have your feet about four metres from a mouth the size of a garage door and teeth as big as Cleopatra's needle. :-o =))

Who are you looking at?
Attachments
Who are you looking at.JPG

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6280 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:14 am

Ex-A is there anything sturdy enough to stop them advancing should they so choose?
handsfree wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:07 am
Assuming of course that the pub isn't flooded as the Trent is beginning to do it's Nile delta impersonation.
Have seen photos of self and sister being pushed along in tin bath by Father during '47 Trent floods. The water was up to our first floor in the Meadows.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)