ATC - Pissed off

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

ATC - Pissed off

#1 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:32 pm

The only rollicking rows with any ATC personnel I have ever had were both with military types, one in St, Pertersburg in Fl when I simply couldn't make out what the good lady was saying due to her accent and had the temerity to ask her politely to "say again" and the other overhead Lyneham as cleared by London Information who said the base was inoperative (which it was) but some well spoken RAF ATC jockey decided to throw their weight around and question my temerity in overflying their MATZ while squawking as advised by London Info and keeping the MATZ on frequency as well. Generally though my experiences of ATC here in the UK, SA and USA have always been very good ones but do wonder if the good job ATC does has become even more stressful for the folks concerned.

It has judging by the very pissed off people here … =))

Caco

Wilco

Re: ATC - Pissed off

#2 Post by Wilco » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:55 am

This one never gets old 😂😂😂

admin
Chief Engineer

#3 Post by admin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:53 am

Wilco, don't need a media container for YouTube. Just paste the URL stand alone. Our site is pretty clever with such things.

Admin/Alison
PS. I have corrected your post accordingly. :-bd

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:01 am

Wilco wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:55 am
This one never gets old 😂😂😂
Aagh, the open mike trap... How embarrassing! I wonder if these guys were canned for this faux pax! =))

Whatever the case, this conversation is going to follow their flying careers to the end of their days.

Caco

Wilco

#5 Post by Wilco » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:26 pm

To err is human, to forgive divine

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/sou ... nt-7138141

However, I believe his wife was not as forgiving

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:49 pm

Wilco wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:26 pm
To err is human, to forgive divine

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/sou ... nt-7138141

However, I believe his wife was not as forgiving

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned! =))

I note that one of the dudes is called James Taylor, so one guesses that he was well able to face the music and ask his better half "Will you love me tomorrow"!

I tell you if the lady cabin crew on current Southwest flights all looked like this I'd buy myself a season ticket and fly in a perpetual circuit from Dallas to God knows where, in an infinite search for Love Field.
southwestairlinesflightattendent.jpg
southwestairlinesflightattendent.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 3024 times

Pity I was a snotty teenager in the non PC 70's and you, Wilco, still in Baghdad!

Caco

Wilco

#7 Post by Wilco » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:51 am

“I tell you if the lady cabin crew on current Southwest flights all looked like this I'd buy myself a season ticket ”

I am guessing so you could find some inspiration for your next yoga outfit?

Hot pants worn by SWA FA’s intertwined with your inner Liberace couture style = the perfect Soy Boy yoga outfit? :)

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:27 am

The high boot style is so yesterday Wilco, and besides, it is what I have in my pants, that makes them so hot.!

Getting back to ATC, or rather radio, I asked for helicopter startup yesterday only to be denied (the only thing the humble radio can deny) because yet another stick of human meat bombs had disgorged themselves above my soon to be whirling rotor and as I waited I idly watched an N registered Pilatus PC12 trundle off the grass and taxi towards the concrete apron and then immediately block the frequency with a request for instructions on how to drop off their VIP passenger at gate 12 (makes Headcorn sound like an international airport which it is not) and the now stationary pilot continued to block the frequency as he arranged the taxi to the taxi as it were for another 3 minutes during which time an errant French aircraft declared a Pan and my engine start was unobtainable! I must admit I have never heard anything like it ever before!

Do you have similar problems at Rancho Cucamonga Wilco?

Caco

Wilco

#9 Post by Wilco » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:53 am

I feel your pain Soy Boy. Similar problems at JFK with foreign pilots, even for the ones coming from English speaking countries :)

Based on the verbal diarrhea of the PC12 pilot, my guess would be that our favorite American East Coast liberal arts grad pilot took to the skies again.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:02 am

Wilco wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:53 am
I feel your pain Soy Boy. Similar problems at JFK with foreign pilots, even for the ones coming from English speaking countries :)

Based on the verbal diarrhea of the PC12 pilot, my guess would be that our favorite American East Coast liberal arts grad took to the skies again.

I wonder what chukwu is up to these days. Personally I would be delighted if he returned to post here again. I am a big fan of his mordant wit and precise English. :))

Caco

2Donkeys
First Solo
First Solo

#11 Post by 2Donkeys » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:11 am

This chap, "Farnborough Radar" is brilliant value... Here heard providing a somewhat sarcastic LARS to the masses one Sunday afternoon.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:29 pm

As far as I know I have only pissed of ATC once which was when I did aeros in my JP in an airway. They didn't like that. I still have the letter somewhere.

Also got fined for taking off from LHR before the end of the jet ban. That was quite ridiculous. Because of who we had on board we were allowed to land during the jet ban (limited ops). Had been flying all night. Sat there for hours waiting for the end of the ban. Started up with five minutes to go. Got to the front of the queue with a pile of transatlantic 747s etc behind us with one minute to go and we were cleared take off. What was I supposed to say, 'just give us a minute'. Noise abatement folk at LHR fined us. Got a hat on interview with the Stn Cdr. When I explained the situation I got my tea and bickies. No idea what happened about the fine or how much it was. Probably substantial. Anyway if you are going to bust the jet ban best do it in style with four massive RR Conways strapped to your bum. Bet that woke up Hounslow.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Sisemen

#13 Post by Sisemen » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:06 pm

The one and only time I got busted was transmitting through Jandakot airspace to Rottnest Island (Perth WA). I’d done the trip numerous times - it was routine; call up at Forrestdale Lake, announce intentions and request clearance for overflight (very narrow height band between Perth CTA and Jandakot CTA); never had any problems. Except for this day when the answer was “nah!”. I had very few choices; couldn’t go up or down; couldn’t go right into Perth CTA; couldn’t do a ‘u- eye’ as I knew there was another airframe up me chuff; and off to the left was a bunch of lights milling about in the Jandakot ‘play zone’. By the time I’d made my mind up what was the best course of action I’d slightly, very slightly, infringed the zone! Lots of paperwork later and got off with a minor bollocking!

Flintstone
Snr FO
Snr FO

#14 Post by Flintstone » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:16 pm

I've never infringed airspace.

Yet.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by barkingmad » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Ready for departure at Glasgow some years ago, we were cleared “after the approaching E319 you are cleared to lineup and hold”.

2 empty thinks bubbles erupt in our flight deck as we ponder WTF an E319 looks like!

Some sort of ‘bus lands but of E319 there is no sign.

Testy query from ATC why we still holding short. Turns out the “E319” referred to was actually an “A319” in the local dialect.

Our apologies proffered and we scarpered pronto and sometime later I received a CD with the actual recorded R/T exchanges courtesy of the Tower lassie who was on freq at the time.

And that following more than 5 years internment at Stalag Luft Lossiemouth some quarter century earlier!

Only embarrassment and no danger but us oldies always remember Tenerife North........

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Early in my training, after a deeply bored call of "Overshooting" by self when ATC at RAF Leeming screwed up aircraft spacing on approach, I was taken to task by my instructor on several grounds. Firstly, that whilst ATC had screwed up, being negative wasn't going to help them get better in the short term. Secondly, that ATC had to train somewhere (Leeming was a first posting for baby ATC-ers), and thirdly that we were all fellow officers and I might need a favour off them on the ground. As in all things, he was perfectly correct and I have been nice to ATC ever since.
ATC have both attempted to kill me, by a misident then descending me back into the cloud-covered mountains I had just done an emergency low level pull up out of (I emerged below cloud into a valley - 1 life of the nine gone), and then maybe saved me by a perfect talkdown when the weather was way below limits.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Sixty miles off flight plan track all the way across the pond. The Shanwick control was very polite and understanding.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:11 pm

Collecting a new jet from Warton, I was informed that the lads who built it expected a show every time, and they duly appeared as I started up. I asked ATC for a low circuit to an overshoot, then a climb to FL330, for which they had to bell up Manchester Control because of the airways. On taxi they came back with "Manchester Control are requesting your heading for the climbout" "Vertical" I said, without thinking. It was approved! And then on top I got routing directly Coningsby. Very nice people. Maybe they were used to such requests. Thinking about it, I guess vertical eases their deconflictions. I wonder how they informed any airliners about vertically crossing traffic?!

Slasher

#19 Post by Slasher » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:21 am

Yonks ago when on the 737-200 we were told by Macau Twr to expedite (the long) taxi to R34. I asked why. "Boeing 727 at 13 miles." Said we'll depart after the arrival.

Momentarily stopping at a strategic point along the taxiway (due to 'instrument check') we watched the landing. Capt or F/O had an Aussie voice(!) and so I asked "full testosterone reverse mate?"

"Yep!"

It was a Transmile with unpoofterised JT8s back then. The view of seeing a 727 land is like watching ballet. Full reverse could be heard through my window. Music to me ears.

F/O asked why I stopped to watch. "You never ever waste the chance to see a 3-holer land." Unbeknown to me due to a stuck stick mike ATC also heard it.

"Xxx check microphone". I picked up the problem. The 2 way rocker switch on the stick had been already written up as getting intermittently stuck. I'd forgotten at that point.

"Xxx continue taxi to runway 34 and line up after reporting ready. I assume your instrument check is now complete?" he asked in a condescending voice.

"Xxx clear for takeoff. Call Zuhwei immediately when airborne."

"And next time if you want to see a 727 land JUST SAY SO!" added the surly c**t.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by ricardian » Fri May 03, 2019 10:45 am

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER