Quiz 2-19..

General Chit Chat
Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

Quiz 2-19..

#1 Post by Stoneboat » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:03 pm

Today is the tomorrow I warned you about yesterday, sooo...

...Time for a quiz. This is a pub type quiz, so Google is not your friend. Have fun, all.
Please do not reply using a quote. That makes it harder to correct the quiz. Merci.

Rules

1...The quiz will be posted on Saturday or Sunday evening, my time.

2...Answers are worth a point apiece, except some questions may ask for additional info, worth extra points.

2a...There are musical clues scattered throughout the quiz (in groups of 5 or 10). Identify the song and artist from the clue supplied.

3...Until the first set of answers have been posted players are restricted to one post apiece, containing as many answers as they like. Additional posts will be ignored and edited posts will be disqualified. After the first answers have been compiled, all restrictions are cancelled (free for all).

4...The judge's decision is final.

1...What car company is named for the Zoroastrian God of light?

2...Who was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson better known as?

3...Name the breakfast cereal(s) that were advertised as 'Food shot from guns.'

4...In ye olde Englishe this malady was called gican pox, gican being itchy in ye olde Englishe. In ye new English what is it known as?

5...What did Mr. Whipple caution against squeezing?

6...George Mendonsa died recently. He and Greta Friedman appeared in what iconic photograph taken on VJ Day, in Times square, that has recently been declared an act of sexual aggression.

7...Name the Scottish bridge from which dogs unexplainably jump to their deaths.

8...Name the sailing vessel found intact off the coast of Portugal on December 5, 1872, but with all the crew missing.
Bonus point, name the vessel that found her.

9...Name the British author who went missing for almost two weeks in 1926.

10..Which member of the Manic Street Preachers is alleged to have committed suicide by jumping off the Severn bridge?

11..Oh give me the beat boys and free my soul...

12..Love was ours it tasted sweet like cherries in the summer heat love so sweet...

13..I did my best to notice when the call came down the line...

14..Son of a bitch give me a drink one more night this can't be me...

15..I rode your Ocean Liner to Newfoundland where I made a living in an iron mine...

16..Who were Fabrice Morvan and Robert Pilatus better known as?

17..Who was the first British artist to hit # 1 on the US Billboard chart?

18..What ABBA song was written about the divorces of the members of the group?

19..Which member of ABBA was a tyskerbarna?
Bonus point, what is a tyskerbarna?

20..ABBA was called ABBA because a Swedish company- also called ABBA - allowed them to use the name. What product did the company produce?

21..A boz is a goat carcass minus the head, legs and internal organs. What game is played with a boz?

22..Drummer Harold Simon Belsky died recently. By what name was he better known?
Bonus point, name the group of session musicians he played with.

23..Name the world's oldest commercial airline still operation under its original name.
Bonus point, name the second oldest.

24..What airline was founded as Huff Deland Dusters?

25..What does the LAN part of LAN Chile mean?

26..What airline was a joint venture between Pan Am and the Grace Shipping Company?

27..Dick Dale died recently. What genre of rock music was he credited with starting?
Bonus point, what 1962 hit started his career?

28..What are contronyms?

29..Of what material were the flags left behind on the moon by the Apollo astronauts made?

30..January 30, 1972, has become known as what?

31..On October 25, 1988, a soccer game took place between Bena Tshadi and Bashangana, two Congolese teams. All eleven members of Bena Tshadi were killed in a freak lightning strike. What did the locals blame it on?

32..What major league baseball team was allegedly subjected to the curse of the goat?

33..What gem - now in the Smithsonian - has been said to be cursed since it was brought back from India to France in 1642?

34..Whose grave is said to be protected by the following curse:
Good friend for Jesus sake forbear
To dig the dust enclosed here.
Blest be the man that spares these stones
And curst be he that moves my bones.

35..What is a person who conducts a séance called?

36..One of us is crying one of us is lying in her lonely bed...

37..I've gotta take a little time a little time to think things over...

38..I don't know where my soul is I don't know where my home is...

39..There ain't no water here to be found some day baby when the river runs free...

40..I'm down on my knees I want to take you there...

41..One for the Trekkies. What was Mr. Spock's blood type?

42..Name the language created by Eliezer l. Samenhof?

43..Frogs cannot lift or turn their heads. Why?

44..Name the British children's author who is credited with inventing the word gremlin, during WW2.

45..Ed Gein died on July 26, 1984, in a Wisconsin instituted for criminally insane. Point each, what character from the following three movies was loosely based on his crimes?
a...Psycho
b...The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
c...Silence Of The Lambs.

46..What is/was a Jarvik-7?

47..What are elvers?

48..What is necritizing faschiitis better known as?

49..What English expression has evolved from this line from the Iliad:
"Do not let the sun go down until thousands who share this quarrel fall headlong in the dust and bite the earth."

50..The brand name of what Australian dish is taken from a line in the old English nursery rhyme Sing A Song Of Sixpence?
Bonus point, when is this dish traditionally eaten?

51..Why was the Raleigh R20 bicycle called by that name?

52..In Britain and the US this dish is called macaroni and cheese. In Canada it's called KD. What does the KD mean?

53..The Northern Territory stone curlew is better known as a what?

54..What Australian city was named for the wife of Charles Todd, the man who was in charge of installing the Overland Telegraph Line?

55..In what Australian city does the world famous Henley-on-Todd Regatta take place?
Bonus point, what makes the Regatta unique?

56..Some people run some people crawl some people don't even move at all...

57..Maybe this is my heart maybe this is yours burns away the eyes peering in our doors...

58..There are ghost out in the rain tonight high up in the ancient trees...

59..Oh it's been such a long long time looks like I'd get you off my mind but I can't...

60..The lights in the harbor don't shine for me I'm like a lost ship adrift on the sea...

61..The most successful double-sided hit in history was by Elvis Presley. The "A" side was Hound Dog. What was the "B" side?
Bonus point, Hound Dog was actually a cover. Who was the original artist?

62..In what western Canadian province is it illegal to set fire to a person's wooden leg?

63..In Cockney rhyming slang what is a 'Donald Trump'?

64..In 1988, what auto manufacturer bought out Rolls-Royce?

65..What famous feminist said "The truth may set you free, but first it will piss you off."

66..Point each, name the missing player and what were they called:
L C Greenwood, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert...

67..Paris' 5ie arrondissement is better known as what?

68..The Pennsylvania Dutch in the US aren't from Holland. Where are they from?

69..What is selenology the study of?

70..What band played their last public concert - with their original lead singer - at Knebworth Park, Hertfordshire, on August 9, 1986?

71..What is a howdah?

72..Billie Holiday had a hit song titled Strange Fruit. What was the song a condemnation of?

73..What Paul McCartney song became the title of the movie about the Charles Manson murders?

74..The colours of what four characters from the Bible are said to be white, red, black and ashen?
Bonus point each, name the characters.

75..On November 13, 1974, Ronald DeFao Jr. shot and killed six members of his family in a town on Long Island, NY. What movie was made about the house where the crimes took place?

76..In the movie, Jodie was a what?

77..What Australian player won the tennis Grand Slam in 1962?

78..What Sinead O'Connor hit was written by Prince?

79..In 1829 this city introduced the world's first modern police force.

80..Who sang lead vocals on the Alan Parsons Project hit Eye In The Sky?

Bonus question, translate the following:
Saluton! Kiel va Fartas?
Bonus bonus question, what language is this?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Quiz 2-19..

#2 Post by ian16th » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:32 pm

Puffed Wheat

4...In ye olde Englishe this malady was called gican pox, gican being itchy in ye olde Englishe. In ye new English what is it known as?

6...George Mendonsa died recently. He and Greta Friedman appeared in what iconic photograph taken on VJ Day, in Times square, that has recently been declared an act of sexual aggression.
The Sailor kissing a girl

7...Name the Scottish bridge from which dogs unexplainably jump to their deaths.

8...Name the sailing vessel found intact off the coast of Portugal on December 5, 1872, but with all the crew missing.
Marie Celeste

Agatha Christie

10..Which member of the Manic Street Preachers is alleged to have committed suicide by jumping off the Severn bridge?

12..Love was ours it tasted sweet like cherries in the summer heat love so sweet...

15..I rode your Ocean Liner to Newfoundland where I made a living in an iron mine...

Petula Clark

20..ABBA was called ABBA because a Swedish company- also called ABBA - allowed them to use the name. What product did the company produce?

21..A boz is a goat carcass minus the head, legs and internal organs. What game is played with a boz?

22..Drummer Harold Simon Belsky died recently. By what name was he better known?

23..Name the world's oldest commercial airline still operation under its original name.
KLM
QANTAS

26..What airline was a joint venture between Pan Am and the Grace Shipping Company?

27..Dick Dale died recently. What genre of rock music was he credited with starting?

28..What are contronyms?

29..Of what material were the flags left behind on the moon by the Apollo astronauts made?

31..On October 25, 1988, a soccer game took place between Bena Tshadi and Bashangana, two Congolese teams. All eleven members of Bena Tshadi were killed in a freak lightning strike. What did the locals blame it on?

32..What major league baseball team was allegedly subjected to the curse of the goat?

33..What gem - now in the Smithsonian - has been said to be cursed since it was brought back from India to France in 1642?
Star of India

39..There ain't no water here to be found some day baby when the river runs free...

esperanto

44..Name the British children's author who is credited with inventing the word gremlin, during WW2.

45..Ed Gein died on July 26, 1984, in a Wisconsin instituted for criminally insane. Point each, what character from the following three movies was loosely based on his crimes?
a...Psycho

47..What are elvers?
Baby Eels

"Do not let the sun go down until thousands who share this quarrel fall headlong in the dust and bite the earth."
Another one bites the dust

50..The brand name of what Australian dish is taken from a line in the old English nursery rhyme Sing A Song Of Sixpence?

52..In Britain and the US this dish is called macaroni and cheese. In Canada it's called KD. What does the KD mean?

54..What Australian city was named for the wife of Charles Todd, the man who was in charge of installing the Overland Telegraph Line?
Adelaide

55..In what Australian city does the world famous Henley-on-Todd Regatta take place?

57..Maybe this is my heart maybe this is yours burns away the eyes peering in our doors...

59..Oh it's been such a long long time looks like I'd get you off my mind but I can't...

60..The lights in the harbor don't shine for me I'm like a lost ship adrift on the sea...

61..The most successful double-sided hit in history was by Elvis Presley. The "A" side was Hound Dog. What was the "B" side?

62..In what western Canadian province is it illegal to set fire to a person's wooden leg?

VW bought the company and then discovered that they hadn't bought the name.
BMW then bought the name.

65..What famous feminist said "The truth may set you free, but first it will piss you off."

The Left Bank

70..What band played their last public concert - with their original lead singer - at Knebworth Park, Hertfordshire, on August 9, 1986?

71..What is a howdah?
A saddle for an elephant

72..Billie Holiday had a hit song titled Strange Fruit. What was the song a condemnation of?

73..What Paul McCartney song became the title of the movie about the Charles Manson murders?

74..The colours of what four characters from the Bible are said to be white, red, black and ashen?

75..On November 13, 1974, Ronald DeFao Jr. shot and killed six members of his family in a town on Long Island, NY. What movie was made about the house where the crimes took place?

Yvonne Goolagong

London

Saluton! Kiel va Fartas?
Cynicism improves with age

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:00 pm

1. Ahura Mazda
2. Lewis Carroll
6. Sailor kissing a girl in Times Square
8. Marie Celeste
11. I wanna get lost in your rock 'n roll, and drift away. Doobie Brothers made it famous, but I don't think they wrote it.
18. The Winner Takes It All
19. I'm guessing Anna-Frid. Her father was a German soldier, which is why her mum moved to Sweden after WW2. I would guess from basic linguistics that the word translates as Sad Baby.
20. They still are a fish-canning company.
21. Mongol Polo
23. KLM?
29. Mylar?
35. Medium
36. Abba again, One of Us
44. Roahl Dahl
47. Baby eels
49. Sundowners
52. Kraft Dinner
68. Germany. Dutch is a corruption of Deutsch
69. The Moon
70. Queen, and I WAS THERE!
72. Lynchings, referring to blacks hanging from trees.
74. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. War Famine, Plague, and Death
78. Nothing compares 2 U

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:41 pm

Not the best effort but accomplished by torchlight, mega slow internet, jungle bunny noise across lagoon, and hippos munching and roaring, in between us searching for a snake.

Tata

Lewis Carroll

Chicken pox

Gordon Lightfoot

German Girl

KLM
Qantas

Lineas Aereas Nacionales

28..What are contronyms?

Cotton

Apartheid

Medium

Esperanto

Enid Blyton

a...Psycho

c. Lester

47..What are elvers?
Baby eels

Flesh eating bug

20 inch wheels

Emu

Adelaide

Henley

British Columbia

Fart

BMW

Germaine Greer

Montmartre

Sweden

71..What is a howdah?
Indian conveyance

11 Rillington Place

Nothing compares to you

London

Saluton! Kiel va Fartas?
Hello, where are you going.
Esperanto
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by Smeagol » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:58 pm

1) Mazda
2)Lewis Caroll
3)Puffed Rice
6) sailor kissing girl in New York
8) a)Mary Celeste b) Dei Gratia
9)Agatha Christie
15) Canadian Pacific by Hank Snow
16) Milli Vanilli
21) Kok-Boru
23)a)KLM b)Qantas
24) Delta
27)Surf Rock , Misirlou
28) words with 2 opposite meanings
30) Bloody Sunday
34)Shakespear
35)Medium
36) ABBA - one of us
42)Esperanto
43)Very short neck
44)Roal Dahl
46)Artificial heart
48)Gangrene
52) Kraft Dinner
53)Bush Thick Knee
54)Alice Springs
55) Alice Springs - dry river bed
61)Don't be Cruel
67) Latin Quarter
68) Germany
69)Moon
71)Canopied seat on an elephant
72)American racism
74) Horses
77) Rod Laver
79) London
We hates Bagginses!

Planepsycho
First Solo
First Solo

#6 Post by Planepsycho » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:16 pm

5. Charmin toilet paper
6. the sailor kissing gal after the war declared over
11. Drift Away/Dobie Gray
16. Milli Vanilli
17. The Beatles?
23. KLM
29. nylon
30. Bloody Sunday
32. Chicago Cubs
33. Hope Diamond
35. a medium
37. I want to know what love is/foreigner
43. no neck
52. kraft dinner
63. um, #2
68. Germany
73. Helter Skelter
74. 4 horsemen of the apocalypse

Mole
FO
FO

#7 Post by Mole » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:01 pm

most of the few I knew have gone already, so only...

13 - Killers; Are we human or are we dancer
25 - Linhas Aereas Nacionale?

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Hydromet » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:04 pm

1...What car company is named for the Zoroastrian God of light? Mazda

2...Who was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson better known as? Lewis Carrol

6...George Mendonsa died recently. He and Greta Friedman appeared in what iconic photograph taken on VJ Day, in Times square, that has recently been declared an act of sexual aggression. Sailor kissing a girl.

Bonus point, name the vessel that found her. Marie Celeste

9...Name the British author who went missing for almost two weeks in 1926. Enid Blyton

11..Oh give me the beat boys and free my soul... I want to get lost in that rock & roll...and drift away

Bonus point, name the second oldest. KLM, Qantas

28..What are contronyms? Words that sound the same but have opposite meanings, e.g. raise & raze, cleave (together) & cleave (apart).

And curst be he that moves my bones. William Shakespeare?

35..What is a person who conducts a séance called? Medium

42..Name the language created by Eliezer l. Samenhof? Esperanto

47..What are elvers? Baby eels

"Do not let the sun go down until thousands who share this quarrel fall headlong in the dust and bite the earth." Another one bites the dust

50..The brand name of what Australian dish is taken from a line in the old English nursery rhyme Sing A Song Of Sixpence? Four & Twenty pies
Bonus point, when is this dish traditionally eaten? At the football

54..What Australian city was named for the wife of Charles Todd, the man who was in charge of installing the Overland Telegraph Line? Alice Springa

55..In what Australian city does the world famous Henley-on-Todd Regatta take place? Alice Springs
Bonus point, what makes the Regatta unique? It's cancelled if there's any water.

63..In Cockney rhyming slang what is a 'Donald Trump'? Taking a dump

64..In 1988, what auto manufacturer bought out Rolls-Royce? BMW

71..What is a howdah? An elephant saddle

72..Billie Holiday had a hit song titled Strange Fruit. What was the song a condemnation of? Lynchings

74..The colours of what four characters from the Bible are said to be white, red, black and ashen? Mathew, Mark, Luke & John

77..What Australian player won the tennis Grand Slam in 1962? Rod Laver

79..In 1829 this city introduced the world's first modern police force. London

Slasher

#9 Post by Slasher » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:26 am

Big huge pebble called Ayers Rock.

Alice Springs.

It's raced while the Todd riverbed is dry.

Slasher

#10 Post by Slasher » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:21 am

I Wanna Know What Love Is.

I forget the band sorry. Edit: just remembered - Foreigner.

Green.

BTW Boat we starship captain wannabees call ourselves Trekkers. We are educated in Warp speed theory and 'propulsion' (warp field generation), the purpose of space matrix restoration coils and galactic navigation using the Shapley Centre. Trekkies are simply sublight-limited sci-fI nutcases who use technobabble. Speak of them not! [-( ;)))

Four n Twenty pies.

VFL Grand Final day in Melbourne(?) Here's some VFL players from my day making a song and dance about it...

Slasher

#11 Post by Slasher » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:39 am

Helter Skelter

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by Stoneboat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:17 pm

...Time for a quiz. This is a pub type quiz, so Google is not your friend. Have fun, all.
Please do not reply using a quote. That makes it harder to correct the quiz. Merci.

Rules

2...Answers are worth a point apiece, except some questions may ask for additional info, worth extra points.

2a...There are musical clues scattered throughout the quiz (in groups of 5 or 10). Identify the song and artist from the clue supplied.

3...Until the first set of answers have been posted players are restricted to one post apiece, containing as many answers as they like. Additional posts will be ignored and edited posts will be disqualified. After the first answers have been compiled, all restrictions are cancelled (free for all).

Mazda - Fox

Lewis Carroll - Fox

Puffed Wheat - ian16
Puffed rice - Smeagol
There wuz two of 'em.

Chicken Pox - Mrs. Ex-A

The Charmin - PP

Sailor kissing a girl - ian16
Point anyone, what has this photo since been titled?

Open

The Mary Celeste - ian16
The Dei Gratia - Smeagol

Agatha Christie - ian16

Open

Drift Away/Doobie Brothers - Fox
Have a point for Dobie Grey PP, 'cause that's who I had.

Open

(Are We) Human/Killers - Mole

Open

Canadian Pacific/Hank Snow - Smeagol
Would have accepted George Hamilton IV.

Milli Vanilli - Smeagol

Open

Open

Anna-Frid Lyngstad - Fox
Open
German something, it's rather inelegant.

Fisk - Fox

Open

Open

KLM (Founded October 17, 1919) - ian16
Open
QANTAS is the third oldest, but the second oldest continuously operating airline. KLM suspended operations during WW2.

Delta - Smeagol

Lineas Aereas Nacionales - Mrs. Ex-A

Open

Surf rock - Smeagol
Misirlou - Smeagol

28..What are contronyms?
Words that have two opposite meanings - Smeagol
Ex. sanction - give approval/penalize.

Nylon - PP

Bloody Sunday - Smeagol

Open
Have a point for apartheid Mrs. Ex-A. It has been blamed for everything else.

Chicago Cubs - PP

The Hope Diamond - PP

William Shakespeare - Smeagol

A medium - Fox

One Of Us/ABBA - Fox

I Want To Know What Love Is/Foreigner - PP

Open

Open

Open

There are too many characters for a single reply, therefore I have split the thing in two.
Second half will follow this one.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#13 Post by Stoneboat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:21 pm

Answers part deux.

Open

Open
Green was too easy Slash. Have a point for Trekkers though.

Esperanto - ian16

No necks - PP

Roald Dahl - Fox

a...Psycho
Open

An artificial heart - Smeagol

47..What are elvers?
Baby eels - ian16

Flesh eating disease - Mrs.Ex-A.
A friend contacted that Mrs.Ex-A. The docs caught it in time, but he still lost the sight in one eye.

Bite the dust - ian16

Four 'N Twenty Meat Pies - Hydromet
During Aussie rules football games - Hydromet

Because of the 20-inch wheels - Mrs. Ex.A

Kraft Dinner - Fox

The Bush Thicknee - Smeagol
There is another nickname. Point anyone?

Alice Springs - Smeagol

Alice Springs
It takes place on the dry riverbed - Smeagol
The boats are 'rowed' by the crews running.

Open

Open

Open

Open

Open

Don't Be Cruel - Smeagol
Open

Open

A 'dump' - PP

VW - ian16
Point each for ian16, Hydromet, and Mrs.Ex-A for BMW who saw VW's oversight and bought the name.

Open
Not that one Mrs. Ex-A.

Open

The Latin Quarter (Pantheon) - Smeagol

Germany - Fox

The moon - Fox

Queen - Fox

71..What is a howdah?
A saddle for an elephant - ian16

Lynching - Fox

Helter Skelter - PP

The four horsemen of the apocalypse - Fox
Death, famine, war - Fox
One open

Open

Open

Roc Laver - Smeagol

Nothing Compares 2 U - Fox

London - ian16

Open
Hint, it wasn't Alan Parsons.

Saluton! Kiel vi Fartas?
Hello! How are you? - Mrs. Ex-A
Esperanto
The response to that would be "Mi fartas bone."

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#14 Post by Stoneboat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Initial scores:

Fox3 20
Smeagol 19
ian16 12
Planepsycho 9
Mrs. Ex-A 9
Hydromet 3
Mole 2
Slasher 1

Slash, you posted three times before any answers were posted. Hate like hell to do it to ya, but I could use only the first one, according to rule 3.
Boss Lady, I had to split the thing into two parts, the board said there were 11,860 characters in a full reply, vs 10,000 max.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:23 pm

second guessing
18. Knowing me, knowing you.
31. Witchcraft is a popular choice in those parts still, I believe.
74. If you won't accept Plague, you must want Conquest.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Tall Bird » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:45 pm

10. Richey Edwards
17. Acker Bilk/Stranger On The Shore
40. Madonna/Like A Prayer
56. Pozo-Seco Singers/Time
59. ?/Misty Blue
60. ?/Sea of Heartbreak
62. Alberta?
65. Gloria Steinem
75. Amityville Horror

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Opsboi » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Q 80 Colin Blunstone did a lot with the APP

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#18 Post by Stoneboat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:59 pm

Stoneboat wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:17 pm

Rules

Mazda - Fox

Lewis Carroll - Fox

Puffed Wheat - ian16
Puffed rice - Smeagol
There wuz two of 'em.

Chicken Pox - Mrs. Ex-A

The Charmin - PP

Sailor kissing a girl - ian16
Point anyone, what has this photo since been titled?

Open

The Mary Celeste - ian16
The Dei Gratia - Smeagol

Agatha Christie - ian16

Richey Edwards - TB

Drift Away/Doobie Brothers - Fox
Have a point for Dobie Grey PP, 'cause that's who I had.

Open

(Are We) Human/Killers - Mole

Open

Canadian Pacific/Hank Snow - Smeagol
Would have accepted George Hamilton IV.

Milli Vanilli - Smeagol

Open
Have a point for Acker Bilk TB, he came before the Beatles. This lady was before either.

Open

Anna-Frid Lyngstad - Fox
Open
German something, it's rather inelegant.

Fisk - Fox

Open

Open

23..Name the world's oldest commercial airline still in operation under its original name.
KLM (Founded October 17, 1919) - ian16
Open
QANTAS is the third oldest, but the second oldest continuously operating airline. KLM suspended operations during WW2.

Delta - Smeagol

Lineas Aereas Nacionales - Mrs. Ex-A

Open

Surf rock - Smeagol
Misirlou - Smeagol

28..What are contronyms?
Words that have two opposite meanings - Smeagol
Ex. sanction - give approval/penalize.

Nylon - PP

Bloody Sunday - Smeagol

Witchcraft - Fox
Have a point for apartheid Mrs. Ex-A. It has been blamed for everything else.

Chicago Cubs - PP

The Hope Diamond - PP

William Shakespeare - Smeagol

A medium - Fox

One Of Us/ABBA - Fox

I Want To Know What Love Is/Foreigner - PP

Open

Open

Like A Prayer/Madonna - TB

There are too many characters for a single reply, therefore I have split the thing in two.
Second half will follow this one.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#19 Post by Stoneboat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:09 pm

Stoneboat wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:21 pm
Answers part deux.

Open
Green was too easy Slash. Have a point for Trekkers though.

Esperanto - ian16

No necks - PP

Roald Dahl - Fox

a...Psycho
Open

An artificial heart - Smeagol

47..What are elvers?
Baby eels - ian16

Flesh eating disease - Mrs.Ex-A.
A friend contacted that Mrs.Ex-A. The docs caught it in time, but he still lost the sight in one eye.

Bite the dust - ian16

Four 'N Twenty Meat Pies - Hydromet
During Aussie rules football games - Hydromet

Because of the 20-inch wheels - Mrs. Ex.A

Kraft Dinner - Fox

The Bush Thicknee - Smeagol
There is another nickname. Point anyone?

Alice Springs - Smeagol

Alice Springs
It takes place on the dry riverbed - Smeagol
The boats are 'rowed' by the crews running.

Time/Poso Seco Singers - TB

Open

Open

Misty Blue - TB
Artist open

Sea Of Heartbreak - TB
Artist open

Don't Be Cruel - Smeagol
Open

Open

A 'dump' - PP

VW - ian16
Point each for ian16, Hydromet, and Mrs.Ex-A for BMW who saw VW's oversight and bought the name.

Gloria Steinem - TB

Open

The Latin Quarter (Pantheon) - Smeagol

Germany - Fox

The moon - Fox

Queen - Fox

71..What is a howdah?
A saddle for an elephant - ian16

Lynching - Fox

Helter Skelter - PP

The four horsemen of the apocalypse - Fox
Death, famine, war, conquest - Fox

The Amityville Horror - TB

Open

Roc Laver - Smeagol

Nothing Compares 2 U - Fox

London - ian16

Another member of the group Opsboi.
Hint, it wasn't Alan Parsons.

Saluton! Kiel vi Fartas?
Hello! How are you? - Mrs. Ex-A
Esperanto
The response to that would be "Mi fartas bone."

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#20 Post by Stoneboat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:11 pm

Intermediate scores:
I'll leave this up for another 24 hours if someone wants to take a stab at what's left.

Fox3 20
Smeagol 19
ian16 12
Tall Bird 11
Planepsycho 9
Mrs. Ex-A 9
Hydromet 3
Mole 2
Slasher 1