The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#6981 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 pm

Copied RiS. Let us try to meet on our way back. Of course you could always get on a ship and come and see us =))

Cape sends his regards.

Our ship has just arrived.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#6982 Post by Capetonian » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Sorry to hear that the Ex-As didn't enjoy the flights on Qatar Airways but at least they weren't victims on this one:

https://simpleflying.com/qatar-airways-crew-drunk/amp/

reddo
Capt
Capt

#6983 Post by reddo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:42 pm

Ta Slasher :)
The stalls were a doddle. No trickery there. The flying with a YD at that altitude was entertaining. Evil Dutch roll until about 30,000' or so when the air was thick enough to damp it out. The glide to land was fun. Sort of reverted to the London City profile and that was a good eyeball picture.

My colleague is ex Luftwaffe Tornado pilot. He was also their maintence check pilot so he was familiar with flying without hydraulics and yaw damper. He handled it beautifully. Not a hint of Dutch roll. Very impressive.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6984 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:05 pm

The Tornado has no manual reversion for the rudder, so it either works correctly by wiggly amps or it doesn't work at all. You probably mean "used to flying with a degraded CSAS, in any of around 60 different combinations of roll, pitch and yaw response".

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#6985 Post by larsssnowpharter » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Many, many moons ago it was one of an examining instructor's little tricks to disconnect the rudder cables on a glider prior to a winch launch.

One is told (😉) that the expression on the examinee's face was priceless! That said, checks for 'full and free movement' were doubtlessly completed somewhat more assiduously in the future.
Suspect the fun police have now stopped that one

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6986 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:15 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:04 pm
at least they weren't victims on this one:
https://simpleflying.com/qatar-airways-crew-drunk/amp/
First Officer and flight attendant

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6987 Post by llondel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 pm

OK, that's a first for me. Filling up the car at the local garage, as I was finishing up with my car, the one in front drove off. I heard a bang and wondered if it had hit something. Then it reversed slowly back into view, trailing the filler pipe that the driver had neglected to remove from the car before driving off.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6988 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:21 pm

llondel wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 pm
it reversed slowly back into view, trailing the filler pipe that the driver had neglected to remove from the car before driving off.
How on Earth does one manage that?
Formula One pits maybe, but standard forecourt?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6989 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 pm

Genius comes in many forms, and the non-genius will never understand it ;)))

Around a million people think Jeremy Corbyn is the Second Coming, and another million think Theresa May can always be trusted.

Anyway, happens once a month in every gas station in Maryland, apparently. Not just Maryland, obviously; they are pretty dumb in Tennessee also. As for Oklahoma, the less said the better...

The answer ?
"Invariably when consumers drive off with the gas nozzle it's because they were on the phone."
https://www.businessinsider.com/drove-a ... ed-2012-10

Still, don't worry;
Fortunately, driving off with the gas nozzle doesn't pose a big danger. The gas pump has a break-away device that detaches the hose automatically if it is pulled with enough force.

fin
Capt
Capt

#6990 Post by fin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:30 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:21 pm
llondel wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 pm
it reversed slowly back into view, trailing the filler pipe that the driver had neglected to remove from the car before driving off.
How on Earth does one manage that?
Formula One pits maybe, but standard forecourt?
Just guessing here, but it seems to me that the more times you have fueled your vehicle, the more routine your motor triggers have become. You take off your seat belt, get your wallet, find the credit card, put it in the machine, select your grade, push a button and begin pumping till it clicks. Then remove handle, get receipt, replace wallet buckle up.

BUT- suppose something, anything unusual interrupts this set of muscle memories. In the US, some filling stations have television sets on the gas pumps themselves which blare commercials at you while you are captive. Perhaps a passenger needed assistance with something unusual or upsetting, or another motorist involved him in some sort of conversation or dispute. The familiar, almost subcortical series of tasks is broken, and sadly, not necessarily picked up where it left off. IMO it seems this would be more likely for someone who has done this countless times than for a beginner. Just thinkin' out loud, sorta. i have never done it, hope I never will, but I can't say for sure it will never happen.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6991 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:38 pm

When refuelling my car, I press the trigger on the nozzle until it clicks when 'full' then return the nozzle to the pump before going into the kiosk to pay.
Only then do I return to my car and prepare to drive away.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6992 Post by llondel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:06 pm

She had been at the pump for a long time, there before I was (probably part of the reason I had to wait for a free pump) with the nozzle in her car, so I assume she did just forget. I had originally thought she was waiting for someone to come out of the garage shop. It may also be significant that on her car the fuel cap was on the passenger side, not the driver's side. US pumps, or at least California ones, still have the little trigger lock so you can walk away and leave the thing running.

My routine is to either set the pump going, then clean all the windows, which takes about the same time as a fill so I get back to the nozzle about the time it finishes, or stand next to the pump waiting.

Slasher

#6993 Post by Slasher » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:38 pm

Morning. 7.30 of clock, Easterly of brisk, 25 of C. Just had brekky.

Ran into overtime yesterday evening by 2 hours - crawled out of the place at 9.10pm. The kids had a lot of real problems in the procedural trainer and it looked to me they couldn't translate into physical action what they learned in the iPad (remote distance learning as it's called) and then the 4h briefing with me, even though they got through the final quiz quite well. Eventually everything sank in and the sessions were done. When I got back to the pub around 2145 Jasper had left some mixed sandwiches in my room which I ate then a glass of 'shine. I slept very bloody good and feel much betterer.

Enjoying the morning dose of Yousef's poison right now. I got the same cadets today and I just hope they remember what was bashed into their skulls yesterday as today it's in the touch trainer. I'll check that at Revision first thing.

The Ex-As should be on Amorgos by now. The Chair beckons!

Back home I usually fill up the tank just after dawn when the fuel is coolest. Volumetric weight and all that.

Edit: systemwide puter failure at the facility. No need to go there yet.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6994 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:16 am

Mayday Mayday Mayday my chair has gorn. Some bloody tourist broke it. I now just have MY spot. Currently in MY chair down in the port. Sunny but cool. 48 hrs after leaving home 4 airports 3 flights and 8 hrs on a ship we are here. Now all the hugging and kissing.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6995 Post by om15 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:24 am

Glad you made in one piece, enjoy the hugging and kissing.

Bit claggy but BBC promising it will clear and warm up, bracing ourselves for the billions descending on Dorset for the Easter break, plan to shuttle between pub and allotment for the next few days.

Slasher

#6996 Post by Slasher » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:59 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:16 am
Mayday Mayday Mayday my chair has gorn. Some bloody tourist broke it.
Man that's been my biggest worry - some stinking damn tourist nickin' or wrecking it.

Stay calm sah. I'm sure you have a drill for such an event. Any chance the port Chair can be temporarily brunged over? What about TS's chair? Has it survived? Can it be used as a loaner till THE Chair is repaired and back in service?

Can you still pee directly into the flower bed from your spot? Mate.. you don't want to lose your spot neither! 😱

A minute's silence will be observed inside the touch trainer (starting soon) in commiseration of this occurrence. 😔

Who the heck are you hugging and kissing? Any nice big boobs being pushed into your chest?

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6997 Post by handsfree » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:00 am

Grey here too and feels chilly even though it is 10C. Mist is forecast to leave us as the sun burns it off leaving us
with a fine old day topping out at 18C.

Runner and Ffrench beans to get started in the greenhouse, pharmacy to visit to pick up "stuff", stair carpet to
fix in place where is has come loose and side gates to paint. Madame has been deposited at the railway station
She is off to York for lunch and a natter with a mate.

No tales of the Chair !!! The world really is going to the dogs.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6998 Post by Ibbie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:07 am

Morning all.

Was chucking it down until 08.00 now a cloudy sky with a touch of blue.

It's Thursday and no art as it's a public holiday......so the artists are meeting for coffee.

I'm going to head for the paseo with Ed for a stroll.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6999 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:17 am

Never driven off with host engaged, not least perhaps as we don't have the hold on clip.

Same errors though such as wrong fuel or leaving filler cap off, even fuel door open.

On mis-fuelling, it is so common they even have a defuelling vehicle. Just sticking a tube down the filler doesn't work though as there are anti siphon devices. On my Merc the tank is also a twin tank so both need to be drained.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7000 Post by OFSO » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:30 am

09:30, just stuck my head out of the door, hot ! here in Islington. Over to Kingston to look at flats and houses again. Saw two yesterday, one so shabby and ill - kept. Vendors don't seem to realise that a thousand pounds invested in a refurb would bring in five or ten times that much in a sale. Both properties we are selling have been redecorated inside, de-cluttered, bits renewed or replaced. Other people obviously can't be bothered.