What is your most satisfying 'food'?

General Chit Chat
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

What is your most satisfying 'food'?

#1 Post by G-CPTN » Fri May 17, 2019 1:09 pm

Some people eat for pleasure rather than necessity, and there are various satisfying options - though some are short-lived.
As an example, I like pickled herring, and I had some today, though very soon afterwards, the experience was gone.
Just now I have eaten two iced doughnuts, and the experience has lasted much longer.

Of course some foods are cheap (crisps?) and so the consumption of a set value of crisps will last longer than a similar value of oysters.

Steak, lobster, pate de fois gras, wine, fish and chips and many others are probably chosen for their enjoyment rather than simply for survival - but your choices might vary.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: What is your most satisfying 'food'?

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri May 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Steak, lobster, pate de fois gras, wine, fish and chips and many others are probably chosen for their enjoyment rather than simply for survival - but your choices might vary.
I think time of the day has something to do with it.

Bacon sarni as a snack for me beats a minute steak. I think tea time I would opt for pate or Marmite, but in the evening don't let me near a Cadbury's chocolate bar (milk every time)

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Fri May 17, 2019 1:27 pm

On a cold day, Ox Tail and creamed potatoes.

A bottle of robust red helps.
Cynicism improves with age

ribrash

#4 Post by ribrash » Fri May 17, 2019 2:00 pm

A Doner Kebab with screaming hot chilli sauce washed down with a few pints of Henry Westons.

603DX
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by 603DX » Fri May 17, 2019 2:53 pm

Melted cheese in a small saucepan, with the addition of shredded onion and a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce, poured over a lightly toasted slice of bread, and finally grilled for a few minutes to integrate the mix. Dunno what to call it, some sort of "rarebit" I suppose, but my dad used to occasionally make it when I was little, and it brings back memories of happy times.

Sometimes the simplest concoctions can be like manna from heaven! :)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by OFSO » Fri May 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Cheese, no doubt about it. Kippers also, but not with cheese !

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by G-CPTN » Fri May 17, 2019 3:12 pm

My childhood memory of favourite food was a lightly-boiled (brown) egg turned-out into my high-sided Beatrix Potter baby bowl and served with 'soldiers'.
This chopped-up egg was called chuckelorum, and I occasionally revert to this when there is nobody around to watch me.

Although my early childhood was during rationing, my father's work took him to rural farms and he would regularly come home with 'fresh' eggs.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Undried Plum » Fri May 17, 2019 4:33 pm

Goose.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by om15 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Missus om has quite a strict food regime, I eat plenty of fresh salad, kale, fruit, fish, red meat once a week, lots of cereal and nuts, I am reasonably content with this diet and don't especially miss the banned foodstuffs like confectionary and chocolate.
However, tomorrow we are going to a steam fair, drizzle is forecast, I shall really enjoy some deep fried chips, covered in salt and drenched in vinegar, washed down with a couple of pints of warm flat bitter in a plastic glass.

I contracted at Aberdeen for a while, the NAFFI wagon used to provide crayfish buns, I became addicted and have crayfish salads a couple of times a month, often with cockles and roll mop herrings with crusty bread, mainly with a glass of Tesco bright red.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri May 17, 2019 4:58 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:12 pm
Although my early childhood was during rationing, my father's work took him to rural farms and he would regularly come home with 'fresh' eggs.
My father didn't get home from the war until 1947 but then he used to bring fresh eggs from Australia. They were immersed in a bucket of isinglass. Then we bought a hen house and 6 hens from Me Bather (as in farther) a lucky farmer.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by larsssnowpharter » Fri May 17, 2019 6:09 pm

I agree on the simple foods principle. My favourite dish:
Spaghetti alle vongole. 10 minutes from when the water boils to being on the table.
As a sprog at a third rate boarding school, I craved stale fried bread and beef dripping. Mmmm.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri May 17, 2019 6:13 pm

Larss, ah boarding school. Pater and Mater would post cooked kidney. Hole in wall tuck shop sold huge baps so the tomatoes and lashings of salt. Savoury was more desired than sweets.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#13 Post by larsssnowpharter » Fri May 17, 2019 6:22 pm

No tuck shop at my prep school. I was once strapped for putting sugar from my tuck box to the ref and putting it on the lumpy porridge drowning in sour milk.
I was also told that I was "the worst boy in the school".
Believe me, basic training in the military was a piece of piss after 9 years of the boarding school system!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 pm

The tuck shop was a tiny little house and shop run by a very ancient couple, Tysons, reputed to be in their 90s.

Sugar, just out of rationing, was issued each week in a tin, possibly an elastoplast tin the size of 50 cigs tin. All painted red. Used to hoard it and take it home.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by ian16th » Fri May 17, 2019 9:52 pm

This talk about rationing.

Anyone else on here hand in his or her ration book on attestation?

I return we were issued with a NAAFI Sweet Ration Card. This wasn't normally needed as we B/E's couldn't afford to buy our entitlement.
The exception was when we were going home on leave and had been paid our 'Credits'. The NAAFI suddenly enforced the rules.
Cynicism improves with age

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat May 18, 2019 12:01 am

An aircrew survival exercise, 2 foot of snow in the Northumbrian hills, and our first food for three days was a pheasant we were permitted to catch, roasted in front of our bashas, eaten whilst we were wrapped in our parachute sleeping bags - utter food heaven. I suspect anything after 3 days starvation is food heaven, but roast pheasant!
There is a reason I now live somewhere where I can get lobster, steak and potatoes all from within 15 miles. In fact I get 95% of what I love to eat from the Island, and an increasing amount from my own garden. And this is very satisfying food not just because one has grown it, but simply because stuff one picks 10 minutes before eating it tastes so much better. I remember my grandfather dishing up fresh runner beans with fresh horseradish sauce from his own garden, aged about 10. I ate the lot and wasn't interested in anything else, even trifle for dessert.
Believe me, basic training in the military was a piece of piss after 9 years of the boarding school system!
That was the point!
Says Fox 3, former public schoolboy, and 10 years a boarding school teacher (my usual hockey coaching t-shirt read 'The beatings will continue until morale improves')

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat May 18, 2019 1:31 am

Missus om has quite a strict food regime, I eat plenty of fresh salad, kale, fruit, fish, red meat once a week, lots of cereal and nuts, I am reasonably content with this diet and don't especially miss the banned foodstuffs like confectionary and chocolate.
Same here, but I still go for the chocolate and ice cream when passing !
However, tomorrow we are going to a steam fair, drizzle is forecast, I shall really enjoy some deep fried chips, covered in salt and drenched in vinegar, washed down with a couple of pints of warm flat bitter in a plastic glass.
Fish and chips my first choice too, even the steam fair, if it was available here, used to enjoy the Blandford Forum events. Definitely the warm, flat beer. Keep mine in an outside, in the garage, so it is slightly sub-room temperature, then a quick stir gets rid of most of the fizz. Didn't the WWII yanks reckon that Limeys like warm, flat beer ? Can't stand the almost universal Lager type beer of the Carlsberg, Budweiser, Heineken, Steinlager variety, at least NZ produces some acceptable IPA style beers more like the UK Best Bitter from the pub, and of course many places are producing Boutique type variants now.

Sisemen

#18 Post by Sisemen » Sat May 18, 2019 2:47 am

Recently discovered Lancashire Hot Pot. Food of the Gods! Fortunately our local butcher has access to home-killed mutton. So simple to make and the reward is out of all proportion.

LANCASHIRE HOT POT
Ingredients

100g dripping or butter
900g stewing lamb , cut into large chunks
3 lamb kidneys, sliced, fat removed
2 medium onions , chopped
4 carrots , peeled and sliced
25g plain flour
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
500ml lamb or chicken stock
2 bay leaves
900g potato , peeled and sliced

Method

Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.

Heat a little of the 100g dripping or butter in a large shallow casserole dish and brown 900g stewing lamb chunks in batches, lift to a plate, then repeat with 3 trimmed and sliced lamb kidneys.

Fry 2 chopped onions and 4 peeled and sliced carrots in the pan with a little more dripping until golden.

Sprinkle over 25g plain flour, allow to cook for a couple of mins, shake over 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, pour in 500ml lamb or chicken stock, then bring to the boil.

Stir in the stewing lamb and kidneys and 2 bay leaves, then turn off the heat.

Arrange 900g peeled and sliced potatoes on top of the meat, then drizzle with a little more dripping.

Cover, then place in the oven for about 1½ hrs until the potatoes are cooked.

Remove the lid, brush the potatoes with a little more dripping, then turn the oven up to brown the potatoes, or finish under the grill for 5-8 mins until brown.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Fliegenmong » Sat May 18, 2019 7:31 am

Sise, I believe Lancashire Hot Pot meat used to be 'bulked out' more with oysters traditionally, as they were very cheap in the 19th Century..
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat May 18, 2019 8:00 am

Fox, aptly named.

On our first we were in a wood on the airfield at Hullavington. Each group was given a dead chicken. In those days chicken was a rare treat.

Our group just looked at it wondering what it was and what to do with it. I said give it to me, plucked it, gutted it and sour roasted it. Delicious.

The DS congratulated us on cooking it but said we should have boiled it to preserve all the fat. Later, on a CS, we were told to skin not pluck as the feathers would be a give away and we could use the feathers as a glove. But Fox doesn't skin a bird!