Queen's Flight

Capetonian

Queen's Flight

#1 Post by Capetonian » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:37 am

This article was in the latest Brooklands Bulletin and I thought would be of interest to the Ex-As as well as others here.
Sorry for the poor quality of the second page but I had to resize it to allow the site to accept it.
Queen's Flight.jpg
Queen's Flight 02.jpg

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Queen's Flight

#2 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:50 pm

Thanks for that Cape. He is wearing well. Last time we communicated he was complaining about his pension and trying to maintain his wife's gee gees. He has been doing these talks for many years. On The Queen's Flight you had to be a QFI to be a Captain as you often flew with HRH PP or HRH PC in the LHS. I was a F/O not a QFI so even though they offered me an extension to see the HS146 in I wanted to go onto the VC10 to get a command (It was your choice of posting after The Queen's Flight but they wanted me to go to CFS.). Graham was instrumental in getting me onto The Queen's Flight (long story) and getting me my choice of posting afterwards. He said and I quote, 'He is a brilliant pilot but would make a useless instructor'. so very true on the latter don't know about the former. He persuaded them to post me to 10 Sqn to go into the Royal and Ministerial long haul role for which they had three crews. So that is what happened. That gentleman was one of the principle officers responsible for a great Royal Air Force career for me. I only did 14 years in the role though not his 20.

I learnt a hell of a lot about Royal flying from the four Capts there but especially Graham. real cool guy. Always wore a baseball cap at weekends on the flight deck as he reckoned that it was his time to relax. B-) =))

Tried to find a photo of us with HRH PC but I think the only one is on the wall in Amorgos. Could only find a drinking one which is second best. or maybe better. Mombassa April 1984. Left to right, back row to front: Grd Eng, Grd Eng, Steward, Grd Eng, Rozzer (sorry, flight security officer). Crew Chief, Capt, Nav, and a young Ex-Ascot.

Mrs Ex-Ascot knew Graham well, he always used to go up to the control tower at NHT when he was there. In fact it was her that controlled him in with the late HRH The Princess of Wales on that dreadful day.
Attachments
Crew.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Woody » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:10 pm

Visited Brooklands Museum this afternoon, very pleasant afternoon and I came across this in the shop, assume that you have a copy Ex-a :-bd

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#4 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:50 am

Glad you enjoyed Brooklands. I go there as often as I can both as a Club Member and a volunteer. It is extraordinary how much you can learn from listening and talking to some of the older volunteers there, sadly a dwindling number.

Haven't been for a while, in fact I haven't set foot on mainland UK since February, which is unheard of. About to be rectified next week. Let me know when you next plan to go, and we can have lunch in the clubroom (open THU FRI SUN).

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Woody » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:06 am

First time I’ve been, but it’s only half an hour away, so I’m sure we could arrange something :)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:31 am

Woody wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:10 pm
Visited Brooklands Museum this afternoon, very pleasant afternoon and I came across this in the shop, assume that you have a copy
Yes indeed, one of the first copies with a note from Dick King. He sent it to Bots for me. Miracle it arrived.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Woody » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:22 am

Glad about that, was wondering how I was going to get you a copy to you o:-)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:27 am

Thanks for the thought Woody.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Woody » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:27 pm

Not sure if this is one of yours Sah, but I think that you would be interested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-53528017

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#10 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:29 pm

Woody wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:27 pm
Not sure if this is one of yours Sah, but I think that you would be interested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-53528017
Thanks Woody but no. It is one of those scruffy tanker things from 101 Sqn not a shiny 10 Sqn one. Turn it into razor blades as far as I am concerned.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Boac » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:35 pm

Did your 'shinys' have refuelling probes and did you ever stick it in?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:23 am

Boac wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:35 pm
Did your 'shinys' have refuelling probes and did you ever stick it in?
Towards the end of my time there they did fit probes. They wanted my ops room to be combined transport and AAR. I refused to have anything to do with it. Far too military. I was running an airline not some military airborne Shell station. I gave them a little desk in the corner but didn't allow them to use any of my staff or give room for tasking and crew boards. They could do it on scraps of paper as far as I was concerned. After I left they even painted my beautiful aircraft aircraft grey. I would have kicked up one hell of stink. Of course I have never tanked. The tanking guys even went around in grow bags, thought it was punchy, wankers. They tried to post me to 101 (tankers) offering me promotion. I turned it down on the spot. Barnwood saw sense in the end.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:12 am

Ah well, ex-A - you missed out on the satisfying last thrust into the basket, then! A great feeling. :))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 am

Boac wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:12 am
Ah well, ex-A - you missed out on the satisfying last thrust into the basket, then! A great feeling. :))
I didn't realise that Ex-Ascot had played basket ball or, perhaps even, been a wicker pervert... :))

Hat, coat, etc...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:54 am

No, TGG, Not basket ball or wicker - I'm talking about the last thrust into the basket and the sheer elation (/relief) as the juices start flowing. The only problems can be a rim shot or breaking the end off your probe. One can see why 'sah' didn't want to have anything to do with it, even in full dress uniform.... It is, after all, a bit 'military' :))

Not sure HMQ would have enjoyed the necessary 'motion', though.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:33 am

A bit of thread creep.

With this talk about thrusting into baskets, any thoughts of the other system, on the new(ish) KC-46 (B-767) that is fitted with the other, flying boom, system. But they do not have a direct line of vision for the boom operators, they depend on a TV camera?
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:35 pm

Yes - no more the big white toothy grin looking at you as you plug. (NB Being very careful to avoid racist connotations...) :))

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:38 pm

For some reason the last few posts can provide a very hot double reading.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#19 Post by k3k3 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:36 pm

Is there any reason why the probe installation from the E-3Ds couldn't be used on the P-8 and E-7? They are the same forward fuselage after all.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Boac » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:43 pm

Do they all have the necessary plumbing to get the fuel to the tanks?