God-forsaken Places I Have Diverted Into thread

Aviation related only
Slasher

God-forsaken Places I Have Diverted Into thread

#1 Post by Slasher » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:22 pm
I feel a God-forsaken Places I Have Diverted Into thread coming on.. ;)))

Window Rock, AZ would be my nomination.

Calcutta in my case yonks ago. The whole place was (and still is) literally one big humungus steaming pile of human sh!t. The stench could be smelled passing 10,000 ft on descent while diverting from Delhi. We all thought there was a leak in the upper deck dunny. Wasn't till we got to D1L that we realised it 'twasn't the onboard ablution. 😱 :ymsick:

We were stuck in that hell hole for 24h.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: God-forsaken Places I Have Diverted Into thread

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:49 pm

I might add:
Kulusuk, Greenland.
The weather front failed to get over the icecap as forecast, and took out Narsarsuaq. Four and a half hours later, all on instruments and no autopilot, I just got over the icecap and made it to the patch of gravel surrounded by snow and ice that is Kulusuk. It is near the DEW line station that isn't there. It was manned by a Dane who communicated in grunts. I got away after three days, having to penetrate a band of icing cloud that took three hours at 100 feet over the Denmark Strait for it to melt off the aircraft. In June. But I couldn't stand another day there.
On the plus side, everything is always frozen, so no smells.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:54 am

Thinking hard, not many bad but Wittering and Cottesmore deserve a mention. On a Pan Wittering said we would not be allowed in the Mess as we only had flying suits. We diverted from that diversion to Cottesmore. They said we could eat in a screened area of the dining room but have to stay in a room down the corridor, not the bar.I

This was when there were Brits, Italian and German there. The Brits were a jackets and ties, the Italians in shirts and sweaters, the Germans in fetching orange flying suits. We joined the Germans.

Capetonian

#4 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:13 am

Not so much a diversion but a fuelling stop on the old SAA Springbok routes between ZA and EU in the 70s.

A miserable island off the west coast of Africa, infested by rats, diseased dogs, wogs, and where catering consisted of very little apart from festering crayfish, warm coffee and warmer beer, tap water was brown and smelt of brown stuff, and the room of your hotel on stilts was over a stinking bog and rubbish dump with rats and dogs crawling over it.

I refer to Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde Islands. Apparently people go there on holiday now. The Cabo Verde people were very nice but spoke an impenetrable Portguese/Creole which even the Potchies battled to understand.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:07 am

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:13 am
Not so much a diversion but a fuelling stop on the old SAA Springbok routes between ZA and EU in the 70s.

A miserable island off the west coast of Africa, infested by rats, diseased dogs, wogs, and where catering consisted of very little apart from festering crayfish, warm coffee and warmer beer, tap water was brown and smelt of brown stuff, and the room of your hotel on stilts was over a stinking bog and rubbish dump with rats and dogs crawling over it.

I refer to Ilha do Sal, Cape Verde Islands. Apparently people go there on holiday now. The Cabo Verde people were very nice but spoke an impenetrable Portguese/Creole which even the Potchies battled to understand.
I have heard that it was site of some riotous parties by SAA crews that had to stop over there.
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Lisbon. Even when scheduled into there it is crap service. Try diverting with a medical emergency. If the chap hadn't been dead before we landed he would have been by the time the steps arrived.

F/O got dead drunk one night there. He was all over the place. Denided access to a club. Told the bouncer he was discriminating against a disabled guy with MS. We got in.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

421dog
Snr FO
Snr FO

#7 Post by 421dog » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:06 pm

Shamattawa, MB.

Truly the worst place in the world.

Spent 36 hrs waiting for parts sitting on a chair next to my plane on the Hayes river with more flies than I have ever experienced, so that the fetal alcohol syndrome urchins didn’t punch holes in my wings to huff my 100LL...

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:54 pm

****. Makes Calcutta look like Switzerland.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Woody » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 pm

Invercargill on South Island, mistakenly went there, when I had a couple of spare days, locals watch traffic lights change for entertainment :(
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Slasher

#10 Post by Slasher » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:17 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:54 pm
****. Makes Calcutta look like Switzerland.
Only went to Banglaville during transits in Dhaka. Those were bad enough. And that was just the terminal!

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#11 Post by G~Man » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:40 am

Tonopah, Nevada.... Gotta be right up there....
DSC_0381.JPG
DSC_0371.JPG
DSC_0368.JPG
DSC_0367.JPG
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by Stoneboat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:23 pm

421dog wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:06 pm
Shamattawa, MB.

Truly the worst place in the world.

Spent 36 hrs waiting for parts sitting on a chair next to my plane on the Hayes river with more flies than I have ever experienced, so that the fetal alcohol syndrome urchins didn’t punch holes in my wings to huff my 100LL...
Did said urchins steal the rubber balls out of the float pump-out wells? :D

Late in the fall of 1968 I was sent on a gamma ray scintillometer survey with a 185 on floats. The company leasing the airplane supplied a navigator!! and a technician to operate the instrument that was located in the baggage compartment behind the seats. A nav because the lines had to be flown very precisely, a quarter mile apart and I seem to remember the lateral tolerance was only a couple hundred feet. He'd call out corrections in two or three degree increments. The flying was what passed as nap of the earth for a 185, not below 400 and not above 500 feet. The terrain was lumpy - on the north shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence - and some lines couldn't be flown their full length because the airplane couldn't outclimb the hills. In that case we'd break off the line and come down the hill from the other end. I'd stayed in the village were we were based - a place called La Tabatiere - before, but at the guest house at the local fish plant. This time there was no space available, so our agent found us a place to stay at some guy's house that had rooms to rent. He had fashioned a little hand written sign outside that said Bording House. There was no running water or anything but a dunny out back. Drinking water was brought in buckets from a local well. The place was clean and the guy's wife was an excellent cook, so we ate like kings, if you liked fish and wild game. One morning I went to get some water from the bucket to brush my teeth, and there were little fish swimming around in it. Made a beer drinker out of me, it did. :))

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by ian16th » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Stoneboat wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:23 pm
One morning I went to get some water from the bucket to brush my teeth, and there were little fish swimming around in it. Made a beer drinker out of me, it did. :))
In Karachi we used Gordon's Gin, and we still got dysentery.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#14 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm

I have used gin many times to clean my teeth.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by om15 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:57 am

Marham

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by ian16th » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:11 pm

om15 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:57 am
Marham
Didn't have to divert, I lived there for over 4 years. In 2 sessions, the second time by choice!

reddo
Capt
Capt

#17 Post by reddo » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:38 pm

I've been to Marham. Had to pick up pax who were spending Xmas at Sandringham.

Re diverts? Birmingham. Yesterday. Too windy at Oxford. Actually, to be fair, the airport did let us in and the FBO guys were extremely helpful.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Boac » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:37 pm

If you go to EGBB again, Reddo, look out for the CL1/2 ρ V2 S =))

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#19 Post by Rossian » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:42 pm

Argentia in Newfoundland. To be fair we didn't "divert", we went to visit the Class 6 duty free store on our way back to Ballykelly. The refuel was a grunt and done . The bus driver grunted and took us and waited. We made our purchases and went back to the a/c thanked the driver who grunted and went.
Requested clearance, "clear take off" I swear he grunted it. We went and 14 hours later we arrived home. I felt really sorry for the folks that were posted there. I think it was a sneaky beaky terminal.

The Ancient Mariner

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:20 pm

I think it was a sneaky beaky terminal.
There was nothing there.

I was on a base on the other side of the Atlantic that also had nothing there, and was therefore not connected to Argentia.
It also wasn't connected to Iceland...because there was nothing there either.

Reminds me of those occasions being #2 to land at Akrotiri despite being the only aircraft in the circuit, but that was a different kind of Nothing There =))