Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Slasher

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#1881 Post by Slasher » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:53 am

Yes Fox it was a complimentary term too in my young days in Adelaide. "Man I had to work like a nigger to get last night's homework done" or "he ran as hard as a nigger during the 100m sprint" was not uncommon at school.

If Hollywood is any guide (and it probably isn't) blacks in America can call each other nigger as a term of endearment. Selective racially biased laws of course prevent white trash from saying it.

I wonder in the latest editions of Huck Finn by what name is given to his black mate?

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#1882 Post by Stoneboat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:13 am

I wonder in the latest editions of Huck Finn by what name is given to his black mate?
African-American Jim, of course.
Old news Slasher. Huck Finn has been pulled from many libraries, as has Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird.
Hopefully that article isn't behind the WaPo paywall.

A school district drops To Kill A Mockingbird and Huckleberry Finn...

During WW2 two US warships, the USS Thruxton and USS Pollux ran ashore and were wrecked near a little town called Lawn, on the Burin Peninsula in Newfoundland. Most of the survivors were covered in bunker oil, but the locals washed it off. One survivor was a black man, and they scrubbed him a couple of times until he came to and told them it wouldn't wash off. They had never seen a black man before, and didn't know any different. There was a book written about it that I have kicking around somewhere, but here's a bit of the story. There's another link in that story worth following.

Newfoundland commemorates 1942 marine disaster.

Slasher

#1883 Post by Slasher » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:22 am

To Kill A Mockingbird was required reading in high school English lit. Very good point made in the courtroom at the end of the book. You'd think the bloody leftist PC morons would've insisted it remain.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#1884 Post by Stoneboat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:42 am

...You'd think the bloody leftist PC morons would've insisted it remain.
I like this definition of political correctness:
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the position that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end. Dunno who said that, may have ben Dennis Miller.

Then there's this quote from Ben Franklin:
We are all born ignoramt, but one must work hard to remain stupid. :D

Slasher

#1885 Post by Slasher » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:10 am

Stoneboat wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:42 am
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the position that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end. Dunno who said that, may have ben Dennis Miller.
Sounds like something Frank Zappa would've said. Smart bloke.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1886 Post by OFSO » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:24 am

Extinction Rebellion posters calling for a day of protest in London, taped to the lamposts in my Islington street. At least they WERE. Some infuriated bastard must have ripped them all down, tore them into pieces, done a dance on them, and thrown them in his rubbish bin.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1887 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:06 am

In UK it was 'black' not 'nigger'. If course coal miners and chimney sweeps were black. Coleman delivering 8 cwt bags of coal were also black. All worked very hard.

Then there were other adjectives attached to particular races, I bet you can all add the appropriate noun: thieving, greasey. Curiously I don't know a similar description for Caribbeans.

Capetonian

#1888 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:22 am

In ZA it was 'kaffir'. I was never sure quite why the term 'work like a kaffir' had currency since any white South African would tell you that the blacks were lazy and did nothing.
The reality with many of them was that they lacked initiative and confidence to make decisions, but in the old days once you got them working in a particular way they generally carried on and were reliable and honest, more so than the coloureds who were devious and dishonest.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1889 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:31 am

Just booked in on line for SA flight. Booking ref: WOGS..
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1890 Post by Woody » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:33 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:31 am
Just booked in on line for SA flight. Booking ref: WOGSJP.
RAGHEAD has to many letters =)) =)) =))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#1891 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:34 am

I'm not sure that it's a good idea to publish your full PNR online. Anyone with access to the system and malicious intent could ..... I won't give any ideas.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1892 Post by Woody » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:36 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:34 am
I'm not sure that it's a good idea to publish your full PNR online. Anyone with access to the system and malicious intent could ..... I won't give any ideas.
Rerouted to Lagos :)) :))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1893 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:46 am

Our surname is always incorrect cos the system can't cope with it. Also my title is incorrect. Have to know all the other details to fiddle with it. Anyway dropped the last two letters in post.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#1894 Post by Slasher » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:02 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:31 am
Just booked in on line for SA flight. Booking ref: WOGS..

Passed the booking ref to Apsara who in turn passed it to her booking hacking guru mates at Daffy.

Both the Sqn Ldr and TS are now rerouted DOH-BKK with a 7 day transit) then BKK-DOH-JNB-MUB. Apsara will meet them at arrival level 1 between gates 3 &4 and take them to Don Muang for the prepaid Daffy trip to our town in N Thailand. She'll be bearing the sign "SQN LDR AND TS". Boarding passes already issued and Ap will be in seat 1A while our guests in seats 1C/D.

She's been told that Ex-A can raid my moonshine stash upon arrival at our digs and to instruct TS to immediately start cooking up heaps of tomato risotto. Sun dried method depends on the wx (currently Wet season). I'll be there tomorrow night.

Next day Ex-A begins his enforced Super Cub training (one circuit) then the check flight (incl stall turns, barrel rolls and spins).

The girls will go shopping in town.

Capetonian

#1895 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:05 am

Someone with the correct level of authority can access a a PNR with the record locator and nothing else.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1896 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:26 am

Just checked out of the hotel. Bar bill same as hotel room. At DBX it is usually twice the room bill. Just been given two beers on the house and two ridiculously priced bottles of water from mini bar knocked off. Next we have a big argument with our taxi driver who will not want to charge us for the trip to the hotel last night.

Capt we are going back to MUB. Anyway TS doesn't do shopping. I tested her out before we got together. Took her to a shopping mall in Washington DC. After 10 mins she asked where the pub was. That's my girl.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1897 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:23 pm

Rerouted to Lagos
SYD loader put all the bags for Port Moresby on the B.A. flight to London.

They were labelled POM.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1898 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 pm

=))

Fox 3 - former Ten Pound Pom.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1899 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:23 pm

Received an e-mail from Railcard promoting lots of offers (2 for 1 etc) for days out. Normally I send these e-mails straight to the bin but on this occasion,I decided to have a look to see what's on offer, maybe a treat out somewhere for Mrs 4ma and myself.

Every offer was for a London based activity and valid only at weekends and school holidays - we have Senior Railcards.

Fer crying out loud, doesn't the rest of the country exist in the eyes Railcard? There must be plenty of places outside of the M25 circle which can be reached by rail - York for one place - to which some of these offers could be applied.

I pity folks who live further from London than we do, they have little chance to take up an offer and enjoy a day out. There's a point of view that Railcard are targeting spare capacity into London; it's the last place I want to go to - personal invite from HMtQ excepted.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1900 Post by ian16th » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:08 am

SM's hand held hair dryer is on its last legs.

It is a 2200w model.

Being aware that the green idiots have made it very difficult to buy a vacuum cleaner of such consumption, I was expecting to have a similar problem replacing the hair dryer.

Found the the replacement model from the same company is now 2400w! o:-)
Cynicism improves with age