The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#10941 Post by OFSO » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:22 am

Cold and sunny in Londinium. Off to a meeting on Administrative Jurisprudence. I spelled that correctly first time so brain must be in order. A Good Start. Must remember not to introduce myself as Herr Flick of the Gestapo. Been watching too many episodes of...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#10942 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:46 am

Morning folks. Standard weather. Trying to renew passports on line. We need a friend or relative in the UK to answer a questionnaire to confirm that we are we. Mrs Ex-Ascot's sister hasn't got a passport which is required. Most of our friends there do not have the required 'professions'. Those that do have live abroad. Our only chance is with our dentist friend but he is useless with the computer. We will see.

We are very twitchy here after the 'daylight' robbery. Now the water has receded we are getting more folk passing by on short cuts. Will be happier when we get the CCTV. The guy fitting it asked us if we wanted remote guns fitted. Think that is going a bit far.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10943 Post by ian16th » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:13 am

handsfree wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:12 am
FRIDAY HAS ARRIVED

That's one reason to be joyful.
Another one is that Mr Sun has come to visit.

On this day in 2004, Brian Clough died.
Gone but certainly not forgotten in the Derby/Nottingham area.
Nor in his birthplace.

People forget his playing career.

His strike rate per match played was one of the best ever in the EFL, tragicly cut short by knee ligament damage in the days when the medics couldn't fix it.

204 goals in 222 league appearances for Middlesbrough.
251 goals in 274 league matches in total.
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10944 Post by OFSO » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:19 am

Ex A, see the e-mail I sent to you.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10945 Post by Wodrick » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:52 am

Morning all,
Same grey at home but down here on the coast it's trying to brighten.
Sat outside the Health Center aiting for the daily dressing.
Henry woke me this morning desperate. Let him out and he had massive diahorea . good boy for holding on.
Appointment at vet this afternoon.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10946 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:10 am

Summer has returned. Cloudless skies, no wind and hotting up nicely. Waiting for the electrician to arrive to fit a new socket upstairs. BT engineer - 7th one in 5 weeks - came first thing and is presently up the pole at the end of the driveway. Fingers crossed he fixes the problem.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10947 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:30 am

C16 how's that hearing claim going.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10948 Post by OFSO » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:44 pm

UK TV tonight, Channel Five, 21:15: "Secrets of the Royal Flight. ... the private world of regal life in the air......"

From 1936 on......

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10949 Post by Woody » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:15 pm

OFSO wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:44 pm
UK TV tonight, Channel Five, 21:15: "Secrets of the Royal Flight. ... the private world of regal life in the air......"

From 1936 on......
Is anyone brave enough to send a copy to Botswana :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10950 Post by OFSO » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:31 pm

I would have thought that if the documentary producers had spoken to our friend down there he would have told us it was coming.....we shall see.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10951 Post by OFSO » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:45 pm

Very "Daily Mail" with perhaps a tinge of the "Sun". Glad to be informed that the Royal Corgis never had what was coyly called an 'accident' while in the air. Otherwise, eminently and sycophantically forgettable.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10952 Post by Tall Bird » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:34 pm

+1 OFSO. What the f... does Kate Williams know about aviation ref the Comet? I thought the Royals had always travelled with mourning clothes since the year dot. The talking head tonight said it was as a result of HMQ being caught out in Kenya in '52. Several accounts I've read state HM was fully prepped apart from black gloves which a lady in waiting/diplomat's wife hastily supplied IIRC.

Didn't see Ex-A, not even an arm putting out the Royal Standard, but no doubt he knows the boss, nav, engineer/steward et al who featured.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10953 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:16 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:30 am
C16 how's that hearing claim going.
Claim form, letter and copy of my War Pensioner's Certificate were all sent off first class post on Wednesday to the Royal British Legion Veterans Hearing Fund. My audiologist has said he'll provide any information needed. As receipt of a lump sum compensation payment is one of the accepted prerequisites I'm confident of getting through the first stage but as for the second stage, who knows! They are saying it could be more than 5 months for a decision on that due to the number of applications.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#10954 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:34 am

Morning folks. Sounds like an interesting programme. True, never known a corgi accident. The dog handler used to walk them around before they got on board. They were scared of walking up the steps with the gaps between them so our furnishings bay came up with the idea of a canvas sheet which could be fitted behind them. However when HMQ was not around the handler said forget it and they got kicked up the steps. We did lose two puppies on arrival once. Found them asleep under a seat.

Standard weather. Getting warm now. Mid 30s. Going up river to the safari camp for a few beers at lunchtime.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#10955 Post by Capetonian » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:22 am

Was anyone able to record this - I did start a thread on it?

This why we've lost our IPTV although we are only missing the UK channels and can still get TV from dozens of other countries.
The Xtream Codes IPTV Takedown is Complex and Confused

The international law enforcement action against Xtream Codes and what appear to be several entities using its services is a complex affair. While some will argue that the IPTV management service was a neutral player offering no illicit content, it's becoming ever more clear that the authorities are viewing things from an entirely different and sometimes confusing perspective.

As reported Wednesday, police in Italy and several other European countries coordinated to take down Xtream Codes, at least one IPTV provider, and more than twenty individuals and related equipment linked to the services.

The precise roles of all these people remain unclear. However, there can be little doubt that emphasis is being placed on the importance of the Xtream Codes management system which, according to law enforcement officials, lay at the very heart of the targeted criminal operation even though the software didn’t supply any content.

This very large operation involved police forces in Italy, the Netherlands, France and Bulgaria. It was coordinated across borders with the assistance of Eurojust, an EU agency that helps agencies from member states to co-operate in criminal matters.

This is the email I got last night from the provider :

20 Sep 2019, 20:48 (11 hours ago)

Hello

Sorry for the inconvenience but we are aware of the problems.

This is an unexpected issue from Xtream Codes due to the raids on the Xtream Codes company across Europe, the problem is not from our side.

Our technical team are working on trying to find a solution but we are not currently able to give you the exact time when it will be resolved.

Maybe later tonight or tomorrow but we can't be sure at this stage.

Regards
Admin

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10956 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:40 am

A Royal Flight 146 landed at RAF Sandringham Marham to be met by all the great and the good from the station, including the Orderly Officer who was the WO from GEF. Over dinner he recounted how the meet n greet line-up had tarted themselves up in No 1's with the ladies wearing nice frocks. Aircraft taxis in, doors open, said WO stands at the bottom of the steps, chucks up a salute and out pops....the dogs plus the flunky who head straight for the Royal Range Rover and away. Nowt else. Paddy expressed his embarrassment, in a way only an Irishman could, at having to salute a f.........g dog!!

I noticed the VC10 on the Zambia trip was XV106 - was that our Botswana correspondent's personal mount?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#10957 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:13 am

4M
I noticed the VC10 on the Zambia trip was XV106 - was that our Botswana correspondent's personal mount?
We didn't have personal aircraft but XV106, 107 and 108 were our Royal and VIP aircraft. Only three Captains in that role so we most often flew those three aircraft, Just checked the log books. I last flew XV106 with Mr Whippy down the back.

TB mentioned standards. They were a pain in the butt. It was the crew chief's responsibility to put them up and take them down. You had the personal standard of principle pax and the one of the country you were visiting. Turning off the runway they would go up, Turing onto the runway they would go down. I used to add them to the check list but did once take off with them up. Goodness knows where they ended up but the poles were like bananas when we got them down. On landing the Captain had to check through the top window the correct standards were flying and on the right side of each other. Once glanced up and the crew chief had stuck up an African flag of a neighbouring country who our host county had be at war with for years. We arrived in sight with no standards.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10958 Post by OFSO » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:16 am

Power off house back in Spain after severe thunder storms. Friend will pop up and turn back on after next ones I can see on meteocat radar have passed.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10959 Post by Ibbie » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:04 am

State weather forecast for severe weather absolutely wrong for second weekend running.

Clearly not fit for purpose.

Yes it's cloudy but no sign of wetness.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10960 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:27 am

We have our own water supply from a spring. It's out of limits for acidity so after filtering we treat it with ph media before it passes through a 15 year old UV tube to kill off the bugs. This morning I went into the hall cupboard where it is all installed and where we store all kinds of useless things. Found much of it soaked where the cardboard boxes touch the shelves. The UV tube is leaking from a joint where the internal quartz glass tube is attached. Not excessively so but I can't fix it so a plumber mate is calling in on Monday morning. Hope he can sort it as this plastic version is no longer made and it's £422 for a new stainless steel one to be delivered. The joys of country living.....