Any animal killers here?

General Chit Chat
Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Any animal killers here?

#321 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:40 am

In my days as a Catman I was obliged to attend bullfights in Oman.

They are very different to the Iberian version. An Omani bullfight is between two bulls. It lasts five minutes and the winner is the one who dominated the other. No blood is drawn and injuries are rare. If the fight starts to get really nasty the handlers disengage their bull and the fight is called off. It's actually quite a civilised game. It's a tremendous social occasion where one meets old friends and makes new ones.

The Spanish slaughter show is just horrible.

Capetonian

#322 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:22 pm

Apparently a trio of idiots have been gored today at the 'festival'.

I do hope the bull is unharmed.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#323 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:09 pm

Sadly, the bull is quite certainly dead.

A Thpanish bullfight uses six bulls. There are never, ever, any bovine survivors.

I greatly prefer the Omani way. Their bulls are treated with respect and even affection, win or lose. They are almost household pets.

In Ethpain, maltreatment of animals seems to be almost respectable.

The only Thpanish bullfight I ever saw was on telly in a bar in Algeciras. I cheered loudly when a matador got a horn up his arse and was tossed out of the ring like a rag doll.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#324 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:33 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... swana.html

Tourism is already down here because of the lifting of the hunting ban. Things like this will make things worse. Our government is so stupid.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#325 Post by ian16th » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:20 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:33 am
Our government is so stupid.
They are not unique in this world!
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#326 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:26 am

Teen disowns dad for proudly posing next to slaughtered lion in Kalahari
2019-07-19 14:09

A teenage girl has vowed to never speak to her father after a photo of him and his wife kissing in front of a slaughtered lion went viral. Sydney Carter (19) from Canada slammed her father Darren and his wife Carolyn Carter for reportedly spending £12 000 (around R210 000) on trophy hunting in South Africa, where they shot two lions, instead of paying her tuition fees, People reports.

"I refuse to call him my dad anymore. Who does that?" Sydney said on YouTube.

"I will never understand people like that - who take pride in shooting a beautiful animal like a lion. I'll never understand it. So, Darren, if you're ever watching this, just know that I don't call you my dad anymore. You are a horrible person. Knowing you trophy hunt beautiful animals like lions, who are slowly becoming endangered, is just . . . it's too much. I'm someone who loves animals and wouldn't want anyone to hurt them, and to know that my own father does that - I don't even consider you my dad anymore."

The angered teenager went on to say that she hopes her dad never contacts her or her mother again, Mirror reports. The picture recently went viral after it was posted by a Twitter user and received a backlash from many animal lovers.

"Beyond disgusting! This is how they get their kicks. So disturbing," one person commented.

"I am thoroughly disgusted and appalled at these people. This is all for sport and it is absolutely disgusting. This has to stop now!" another person said.

The Carters have since disabled their Facebook and Instagram pages, Express reports

Slasher

#327 Post by Slasher » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 am

Capetonian

#328 Post by Capetonian » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:28 am

Carrie Symonds takes aim at puffin killers in first public outing

Trophy hunting is "cruel, sick and cowardly", Carrie Symonds declared last night at her first public engagement in her new role as girlfriend of the Prime Minister.

Miss Symonds, who moved into Downing Street with Boris Johnson last month, was addressing a crowd of birdwatchers at Birdfair at Rutland Water.

Wearing a dress made of recycled cotton by British designer Justine Tabak, she took aim at hunters who shoot puffins for fun.

Miss Symonds, who has been in a relationship with Mr Johnson since last year, told the audience of her unbridled joy at seeing her first puffin "in all its glory" last month at Bempton Cliffs in the East Riding of Yorkshire.

Then, changing tack, she spoke of her horror at seeing another photograph in an article in the Sunday Telegraph a fortnight ago of a puffin "his bloodstained body lined up alongside dozens of others, all slaughtered by so-called “trophy hunters” on trips to Iceland.

"I ask you, why would anyone want to shoot a puffin? Why would anyone want to destroy something so beautiful, then stuff its poor lifeless body to keep as some kind of macabre trophy? A trophy is meant to be a prize. Something you’re awarded if you’ve achieved something of merit that requires great skill and talent. Trophy hunting is not that. It is the opposite of that. It is cruel, it is sick, it is cowardly and I will never, ever understand the motivation to do it. And when we look at trophy hunting, when we look at habitat loss, when we look at climate change and the catastrophic levels of plastic pollution in our oceans – a million sea birds die every year as a result of ingesting plastic – when we look at all that we see why events like Birdfair are so important.

Capetonian

#329 Post by Capetonian » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:23 am

https://www.independent.co.uk/environme ... 63751.html

British hunters ‘paying to kill endangered giraffes in Africa’, campaigners say

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#330 Post by Woody » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:55 pm

Some good news :D
The capture of wild African elephants for transfer to zoos is to be banned under new restrictions by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (Cites).

A committee at the Cites conference in the Swiss city of Geneva approved the ban, but the measure will still need to be passed by the full conference.

Conservationists said it was a historic win.

The decision applies to southern African countries.

Elephants in western, central and eastern Africa are already banned from all trade.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

Britain will have toughest trophy hunting rules in the world as Government announces ban of 'morally indefensible' act

#331 Post by Capetonian » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:20 am

A step in the right direction although I suspect there is a greater need for such legislation to apply in North America.
Britain will have toughest trophy hunting rules in the world as Government announces ban of 'morally indefensible' act

Britain is to have the toughest trophy hunting laws in the world as the Government announced they will be tabling a ban on the "morally indefensible" act.

Hunters will no longer be able to bring back endangered animal parts from Africa as part of wide-ranging legislation that will also stop the import of exotic furs and rugs.

The move, announced today by the Minister for International Wildlife Zac Goldsmith could see the lives of thousands of elephants, lions, rhinos and other endangered species saved.

There is said to have been support for this policy within Number 10, and Boris Johnson's partner Carrie Symonds has been campaigning against the issue for some time. Mr Goldsmith's appointment by Boris Johnson was seen by those who oppose trophy hunting as significant, as the animal rights campaigner was effectively put in charge of the issue.

Ms Symonds said in her first speech to the public as "First Lady" earlier this year: "A trophy is meant to be a prize. Something you’re awarded if you’ve achieved something of merit that requires great skill and talent.

"Trophy hunting is not that. It is the opposite of that. It is cruel, it is sick, it is cowardly and I will never, ever understand the motivation to do it."
It is thought both inhabitants of Number 10 are against trophy hunting

After a consultation, the ban is expected to pass through parliament either as primary or secondary legislation after Conservative Party Conference.

The Minister for International Wildlife, Zac Goldsmith, has been campaigning against trophy hunting for years and credited the Telegraph's reporting on the issue with pressuring the government to implement a ban.

While some countries including France, Australia and the Netherlands have banned the imports of specific animals such as lions, this ban will affect dozens of endangered animals.

The animals it will no longer be legal to import will be those on the Cites Appendix I and II lists, as well as animals on the I UCN list.

Unlike the ivory ban, where it is banned to sell the product in the UK, this just concerns imports and exports, so it will still be legal to sell rare animal skins within the UK.

Mr Goldsmith said: “The fight against trophy hunting of endangered animals matters. It is clear that it is morally indefensible and that is why I am delighted that the Conservative Government will consult on a ban on the import of these trophies. By placing a higher value on animals alive rather than dead, we will begin to turn back the tide of extinction.”

There is said to have been support for this policy within Number 10, and Boris Johnson's partner Carrie Symonds has been campaigning against the issue for some time. Mr Goldsmith's appointment by Boris Johnson was seen by those who oppose trophy hunting as significant, as the animal rights campaigner was effectively put in charge of the issue.

Michael Gove, the previous environment minister, was notably cautious in his language on the issue, and animal rights campaigners doubted he would enforce a ban.

He said in May: "If particular communities have got used to driving income from hunting, you don't want to seem as though you're basically saying, we're taking your livelihood away.

"We've got to make sure that there is a clear alternative, that they know that their livelihoods and their lifestyle are going to be respected and not patronised, before they will feel comfortable about moving."

The announcement is part of a wide-ranging list of policies announced by Defra to kick off the Conservative Party Conference this weekend.

Ministers also announced that they will consult on introducing compulsory micro-chipping for pet cats to subject them to the same safety measures that currently apply to dogs.

Defra said: "This should give cat owners more peace of mind and strengthen the measures we have to tackle cat theft."

They will also "effectively end" live animal exports, a practice which many animal welfare campaigners have urged the government to end after we leave the EU. This will stop livestock being transported in cramped, hot conditions over large areas, and they will instead be killed at the nearest abattoir.

Rt Hon Theresa Villiers MP, Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said: “High standards of animal welfare are one of the hallmarks of a civilised society. We have a long tradition of protecting animals in this country, often many years before others follow. Leaving the EU allows us to take even bigger steps forward on this.

“The measures we are announcing today will protect our animals in our homes, in agriculture, and in the wild.

“I have campaigned for an end to live exports and what has been announced today will choke off this trade.

“This is an important victory for all those thousands of people across the country who have campaigned for tougher measures to protect animal welfare.”

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#332 Post by llondel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:35 pm

Sometimes the animal gets one back.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/24/hunter-s ... -10978701/
An elderly hunter shot a deer – only for the furious animal to get back up off the ground and gore him to death.

Capetonian

#333 Post by Capetonian » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:34 pm

I do love these stories of 'the biter bitten ...."

A
man believed to have been stealing cables on Cape Town's railway line between Nyanga and Philippi on Friday has been electrocuted, police have said.

The man - whose identity is yet to be established - "was electrocuted while lying on the cross bar frame busy cutting overhead cables of the railway line", Western Cape police spokesperson Siyabonga Malo said.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#334 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:35 am

Good to see one lion successfully rescued from the vile canned hunting industry; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -lion.html

Reading the article I was appalled to learn that South Africa wants to change the status of captive bred lions to that of farm animals. :-q
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#335 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:59 am

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:35 am
Reading the article I was appalled to learn that South Africa wants to change the status of captive bred lions to that of farm animals. :-q
Could mean they can only be killed in a registered abattoir, not in the field.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Capetonian

#336 Post by Capetonian » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 am

Why would that be mitigation? Why would anyone want to kill a lion in an abbatoir?

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#337 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:38 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 am
Why would that be mitigation? Why would anyone want to kill a lion in an abbatoir?
Unfortunately in South Africa lions, tigers and even cross breeds are being mass bred and slaughtered to provide bones and skins for the chinese and far east markets. I have read several articles recently on the subject in more than one on line newspaper. As the article above points out it will make this vile trade even more vile. :ymtongue:
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Slasher

#338 Post by Slasher » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:39 am

The Chinks and Gooks are the largest consumers of these items, mainly the older generations. The younger ones have worked out there are no medicinal purposes in them at all.

Capetonian

#339 Post by Capetonian » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:37 am

“Killing animals purely for pleasure and to show off a trophy has no place in a civilised society. People want this disgraceful ‘sport’ consigned to the dustbin of history.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 81871.html

Slasher

#340 Post by Slasher » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:02 am

“Killing animals purely for pleasure and to show off a trophy has no place in a civilised society. People want this disgraceful ‘sport’ consigned to the dustbin of history.”
+1 big time.

In the animal kingdom there are no such things as trophies. Only us talking monkeys do it. When Tiddles brings in a dead bird and drops it at one’s feet, it is to show the alpha leader the hunting capabilities of the cat itself to curry extra favour from said alpha. This is merely feline instinct.