The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#11821 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:10 am

I may have to post on the health section but I am expecting some lab results to show if I have shingles. An ex GF really insisted me to have a blood sample taken on Thursday night.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11822 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:22 am

ExSp, the Germans virtually killed the market after 1870 with mass produced clocks. Obviously the more recent the clock the greater the possible age range of components.

Know what you say about lack of spare time. I am stealing 2 hours watching the rugby. Our diary for October is full and November filling rapidly. With age comes decrepitude. Had three filling collapse this month, a rasin, overcooked bacon, and an interdent 🙁. Fortunately insurance will pay.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11823 Post by Wodrick » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:29 am

I am expecting some lab results to show if I have shingles.
Oh good luck with that for a negative outcome, not the nicest thing in the world Shingles, even in a mild form.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Capetonian

#11824 Post by Capetonian » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:13 am

A Southwest Airlines flight attendant alleges she caught 2 pilots watching a livestream of the plane's bathroom
Bad pun intended or not?

Slasher

#11825 Post by Slasher » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:36 am

+1 wot Wodrick sed RiS. Shingles ain’t nice. Luckily never had it meself.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#11826 Post by Groundgripper » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:21 am

Best wishes to Apsara for a speedy recovery and sympathy to RiS re shingles. I've never had it - I caught chickenpox off my son in the mid-80s and he suffered shingles a couple of years ago but I think I dodged that one.

On the subject of long case clocks, I've often wondered about the origin of ours; inherited from my grandparents, who came from Newcastle/Gateshead, and bearing no marks or makers name whatsoever (but the chime/strike is german). It fascinated a local clock repairer who I called in some years ago to put right, his comment was that it was like the Morecambe and Wise sketch with Andre Previn - all the right bits but not necessarily in the right places. Mechanism probably dated early 1900s with an earlier case. He thought it was put together by a skilled amateur or apprentices. It's still accurate to a few seconds a week and it's remarkably soothing listening to it ticking away in the corner of the sitting room, chiming on the quarters and striking the hours. I love it. As ever, I wish that I'd found out more details when my grandmother, or my father, was still alive.

GG

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11827 Post by Magnus » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:32 am

Had shingles a LOT of years ago. Never again, please.

We have 3 clockwork clocks. It's a bugga remembering to wind them up every week, not to mention this morning's runaround putting them back an hour. I haven't done the upstairs timers yet.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11828 Post by om15 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:39 am

not to mention this morning's runaround putting them back an hour
I had to reset the digital clocks on my motorbikes this morning, what a fiddle, I'm not sure why I did that as I can't see the digits anyway. I am buying large round analogue clocks that bolt on the handlebars.
The other clocks in the house are so complicated that my wife has to adjust them, ovens, telly and so on.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11829 Post by ian16th » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:04 pm

om15 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:39 am
The other clocks in the house are so complicated that my wife has to adjust them, ovens, telly and so on.
Our previous microwave was so complicated we gave up.

It was somewhat a relief when it packed up. The new one is simple, select 'clock', then you key in the time, and hit 'Start'
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11830 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Our MW, it is hit Clock, set hours, Clock, set minutes, Clock - job done. New cooker, well 'nough said.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11831 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm just glad that we don't change time-zones here. :YMPARTY:

The trouble is remembering what time zones the rest of you are in. ~X(
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11832 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:32 pm

On the Trans Canada Highway, the thing I did most often in the vehicle was change the time zones; slightly more often than fuel fill-ups, and a lot more often than things like negotiating a bend in the road ;)))

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11833 Post by OFSO » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:24 pm

A microwave with a clock ? Wow. Ours has one Knob you rotate for strength of the magic waves, and a mechanical timer Knob. Actually selected on the basis of simplicity.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11834 Post by ricardian » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:27 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:54 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:29 am
Yep well my heat stoke was caused by sitting in the heat drinking beer! It is not too hot at the mo. Lower 40s it can hit 50.
Yesterday hit our first 38 degree day. Tend to forget to rehydrate regularly, though it's not Summer yet. Felt woozy last night until I drank a litre of water.
Alison
Too much water is just as bad as not enough!
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11835 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:30 pm

Quite right Ricardian. Up there you need more hot toddies and tea than cold water but down here it is a case of constant rehydration. Same in Greece in the Summer.

As on aircraft. Must keep drinking water all the time. Plus fizz of course. We insist on having bottles of water available by our seats.

Down here we buy about 35 litres of drinking water a week. Mind you our staff get some of that. Our housekeeper tanks up before returning home.

By the way Ricardian, we watched Whisky Galore II (again) last night. Always makes us think of you up there. We think that the remake is better than the original, which is rare.

The weather has all cleared up now. Nice evening. A little breeze. It didn't touch 40 today.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11836 Post by OFSO » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:44 pm

A great sea mist sat on the Bay of Roses all day. In ye olden days when I had marine VHF it was most amusing to listen to German skippers who went charging out of the Empuriabrava entrance in bright sunshine and were then lost in fog a hundred or so metres off shore. These days we have to be content with French "captains" missing the harbour entrance by a mile after drinking all afternoon.....
Media 807.jpg

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11837 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:55 pm

That could be why les frog have designed remote controllable amphibious boats. Saw one last year. If you've lose control simply call up Ops and they will drive it for you.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11838 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:17 pm

Thanks for the wishes - still no symptoms and no blood results either on my body or the email respectively. I may have to visit the medical facility to ask for the results tomorrow.

Capetonian

#11839 Post by Capetonian » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:44 pm

We have had had heavy rain since lunchtime today. Extremely welcome.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11840 Post by ricardian » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:13 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:30 pm
Quite right Ricardian. Up there you need more hot toddies and tea than cold water but down here it is a case of constant rehydration. Same in Greece in the Summer.
As on aircraft. Must keep drinking water all the time. Plus fizz of course. We insist on having bottles of water available by our seats.
Down here we buy about 35 litres of drinking water a week. Mind you our staff get some of that. Our housekeeper tanks up before returning home.
By the way Ricardian, we watched Whisky Galore II (again) last night. Always makes us think of you up there. We think that the remake is better than the original, which is rare.
The weather has all cleared up now. Nice evening. A little breeze. It didn't touch 40 today.
There were shipwrecks in the past when sailing ships were the only method of travel. Islanders were very quick to discover the nature of the cargo and arrangements were made for its distribution before the Customs officer turned up. In 1909 the 3 masted schooner, the Edenmore, struck rocks to the E of Papa Stronsay and sank, her cargo which included 23 pianos and 23,000 slates was "well looted by islanders"
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER