General Election views

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: General Election views

#121 Post by om15 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:49 pm

I have been an admirer of THP, but as I mentioned a few days ago, in a big significant general election like this I believe that people will go tribal, labour will lose seats to the Lib Dems, but despite the cock ups, failures, deceit, incompetence, the only game in town for realistic people is the Conservatives.

Meanwhile, Labour think that borrowing 600 billion pounds from loan sharks to randomly splurge at attention getting topics to woo their addled supporters is a winner. How on earth can 27.2% of the electorate think that is a good thing, the mind boggles.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#122 Post by barkingmad » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:09 pm

https://www.thebrexitparty.org/the-brex ... andidates/

Can’t find any HoC ex-interns nor SPADs nor pollyticks/economics/sociology graduates in amongst this lot and I understand TBP candidates have been chosen because they’re real people who’ve had real jobs and acquired some maturity and gravitas.

So the task of repopulating the swamp and converting it into a thriving healthy pond is now up to the great unwashed ignorant electorate out there. Remember, it’s our last chance before we’re dragged off the the EUSSR Gulag to sink without trace and certainly without hope.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#123 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Worth remembering that TBP isn't going to get 10 seconds of airtime if the MSM can avoid it, though they will get a lot of negative comments. Also, nobody I know who voted Brexit has ever been asked for their views in an opinion poll (I asked them) - not statistically valid, but interesting.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#124 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:42 pm

The Tories need to be careful of what happened after they won the 1992 election, when it seemed to go to their heads and things went steadily downhill until they were crushed in 1997. They all need a course in how to engage brain before opening mouth to try to avoid the soundbite incidents (although that's probably true across all parties) and especially need to not act like entitled, smug gits who are in it for personal gain.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#125 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:25 pm

Things were already going downhill by 1992. I'll always remember the Spitting Image sketch just after, with Major and the Cabinet bemoaning that they'd quietly screwed up the economy for the incoming Labour government.....except they f#cked up and won themselves. =))

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#126 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:35 pm

Yes, it was already on the way down in 1992, which is why it was a surprise that they won. Mind you, given that Kinnock was still Labour leader at that point, people probably didn't want him in charge. Smith would probably have succeeded where Kinnock could not.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#127 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:53 pm

Pity about John Smith. With him still around, Blair, Brown and Corbyn would still be arguing the toss in wine bars, pubs and coffee bars respectively, rather than f#cking up the country like they did/wish to.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#128 Post by barkingmad » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:10 pm

Beautiful autumn oop north with the trees in fantastic colours between showers when sun shines.

Talking of fantasy, anyone from Kew Botanical Gardens able to explain the sudden thriving of the mythical Money Trees, both being cultivated by the main pair of dreaming gardening teams going about mumbling and muttering about their next harvest?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#129 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Just watched the history of Britain's nuclear bombs. Atlee went ahead off his own bat didn't tell Parliament until 2 years after the event.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#130 Post by ian16th » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:29 pm
Just watched the history of Britain's nuclear bombs. Atlee went ahead off his own bat didn't tell Parliament until 2 years after the event.
As atonement for Stafford Cripps selling RR Derwent's to Stalin?
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#131 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:51 pm

Barking, the Labour Money Tree is fertilised by higher taxes* and the Conservative Money Tree is fertilised by higher borrowing.

* Higher taxes on the wealthy, defined by Corbyn & Co as anyone with more than a fiver in their back pocket.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#132 Post by Woody » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:59 am

Can’t find any HoC ex-interns nor SPADs nor pollyticks/economics/sociology graduates in amongst this lot and I understand TBP candidates have been chosen because they’re real people who’ve had real jobs and acquired some maturity and gravitas.
Isn’t a Rees-Mogg one of their candidates, which kind of blows that argument out of the water :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#133 Post by barkingmad » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:25 am

Woody, unless JR-M has ‘crossed the floor’ or gone in via the back passage I think you’ll find he’s still a fully paid-up member of the Conservative & Unionist Party.

My posting referred to the TBP candidates as opposed to the recent crop of the (now) ex-MPs some of whom are even now polishing the turds they call CVs.

Could be a lot of ‘fertiliser’ on the open market up until the 12th and then we’ll smell the malodorous cloud as all the “promises” evaporate?!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#134 Post by Boac » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 am

I suspect Woody is 'surmising' about Annunziata?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#135 Post by Woody » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:01 am

Boac wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 am
I suspect Woody is 'surmising' about Annunziata?
That’s the one :D

Here’s her work experience =)) =)) =))

Edit

After leaving school in 1997, she decided against going to a university and instead tried a series of different jobs, in journalism, investment banking, publishing, public relations, and stockbroking.[4][1] In 1998, she moved with her family to Mells, Somerset.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#136 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:16 am

Here's her life experience:

My daddy's rich!

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#137 Post by Ibbie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:20 am

She is a Brexit Party MEP barkingmad

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#138 Post by Boac » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:37 am

What a dilemma! Resign her MEP'ship in anticipation of Brexit and stand as a BP MP or not - aarghh!

For those interested (?) Mr Rees took the middle name of his wife in 1805 to become Rees-Mogg. Pretentious? Moi?

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#139 Post by barkingmad » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:48 am

My error! I did not notice the ‘a’ before the R-M name so incorrectly assumed I’d been asleep during the news ( frequent occurrence these days!) and that the toff with a top hat had jumped ship.

Though I do accept her daddy is articulate and well-informed when compared with many of the life forms who left the HoC recently-hopefully never to return.

And at least the Blessed Annunziata has had some jobs outside the HoC, my rant was against those school-leavers whose first job is as an ‘assistant’ in the House where they learn the ropes and start sliding up the pole to candidacy. They are accompanied by the economics and sociology graduates who went into the House as ‘special advisors’ having just left whichever safe-space no-platformimg university which was incautious enough to award them a degree!! End of rant, dark room beckons. ~X(

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#140 Post by Boac » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:57 am

Possibly still a touch of sandman in the eyes, BM? Annunziata's father was William RM, former editor of the Times amongst other things. She is the J's sister.