The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#12121 Post by Ibbie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:27 am

Morning from a sunny Costa. Cooler now with only a high of 18c expected.

Sorry had missed that the good reverend was not A1. Hope you recover soon Jim.

May all construction projects meet required deadlines.

Right foot a little tender this morning after minor surgery on it yesterday afternoon.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12122 Post by Wodrick » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:52 am

Morning all,
Creeping up from an overnight low of 11c
Paco is expecting a drop out of the 20s today with a high of 19.
Cool wind too.

Next door was burning olive last night.

SM off to the Health Centre - Dressing change and abscess flush out.
Blood test and sample all disgustingly normal, nothing found.

Me dog sitting and getting garden out of pond again.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12123 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:57 am

+2C and we've had small flurries of snow just now!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12124 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:58 am

Back from doctors having left a thousand euros behind. Negative remarks about the NHS not tolerated in this house....

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12125 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:09 am

OFSO wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:58 am
Back from doctors having left a thousand euros behind. Negative remarks about the NHS not tolerated in this house....
Ah, but when did you make the appointment?

We moved surgeries a few months back. Waiting time was 4 weeks or two days for urgent. Really urgent was A&E.

At least our new one, 10 miles away offers less than a week for routine and same day for urgent.

Our local hospital is at the mercy of our NHS Trust which wants to close it. It is in need of a severe make over, from the ground up. The next trust a few miles south has a bright modern PFI facility. It is hard to criticise the PFI costs at their point of use.

One bright spot, it has just been ruled that the Hospital Trusts are charities and can claim billions in back taxes. Conundrum for the Government, they can't fight the judgement on one hand and promise 40 new hospitals (up from 20 three years ago).

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12126 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:24 am

Morning folks. 30 degs all night now heading towards 40 but a little breeze. RiS:
Ex-A how long do you try to obtain the copy of the residence permit?
My dear chap, as long as it takes, Dis is Effrica mon. I have honestly no idea how many times we had to go there for our first permits but I do have my own chair there as well as at the taverna on Amorgos. The penultimate visit the first time was get the permits stuck into our passports but the sticky permits were stuck to the inside of the printing machine. We honestly thought that we only had to go through this just one more time as we should get permanent residency next time around after 2x5yrs. Bastard thieves.

Big solar problems, Battery failure yet again. £3,000 and 10 year guarantee I don't know why they don't just replace it.

Bat population has gone down from 14 to just 6 now. No idea what the pelican Squadron boss is up to. He seems to have split them up into flights of about 50 each. That makes 6 flights. We have three here at the mo separated by 100 m or so. Perhaps the others are out on reconnaissance looking for better fishing grounds then they send a runner to inform the others. Must ask one of our guide friends. It was very odd the way that 300 all arrived at the same time two weeks ago.

Just had a phone call. The speed of our internet is not good enough to run the CCTV system we have to upgrade. Yet more expense. We currently pay $1,000 a year which we consider pretty good for satellite. I think that there are five levels. I have told them to go to just the minimum to run it.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12127 Post by Wodrick » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:30 am

New hospitals are not going to affect your or my lifetime we will not see them even if they ever start building.
My Father was an Architect. He designed The Royal Preston Hospital.
I don't know just how long but I don't remember when he was not working on it, must have been 20 years start to finish.
Somewhere we have a picture of him showing Princess Diana round at the opening. She at the height of her popularity.
That dates it dunnit.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12128 Post by Woody » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:16 am

Even if they do get built, you can’t use them X(
Three floors at a stalled new hospital must be rebuilt because of "complex" structural flaws left by construction giant Carillion, a review has found.

Building work at the already delayed new Royal Liverpool Hospital was halted in February last year after Carillion's collapse.

The review by structural engineers from Arup found three of 11 floors require strengthening.

The hospital was originally due to open in March 2017.
What’s £650 million between friends

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50345344
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12129 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:02 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:30 am
New hospitals are not going to affect your or my lifetime we will not see them even if they ever start building.
My Father was an Architect. He designed The Royal Preston Hospital.
I don't know just how long but I don't remember when he was not working on it, must have been 20 years start to finish.
Somewhere we have a picture of him showing Princess Diana round at the opening. She at the height of her popularity.
That dates it dunnit.
Bloody Hell Wodders that is one heck of an achievement. See HRH PoW went on to Accrington after that. I was at primary school there right by Accrington Stanley football ground.

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12130 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:13 pm

I think that that the Sqn Cdr has now lost control. He now has about four flights of his whole Squadron just sitting about doing nothing. Probably playing Uckers. Can't even remember the rules. Help anyone?
Attachments
Pelicans.jpg

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12131 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:34 pm

As we had a 5-man crew, some evil B on the sqn created a board with 5 legs. A 4 leg board game might last as long as half an hour. The 5 leg game rarely finished under 2 1/2 hours.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12132 Post by ricardian » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12133 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Royal Preston Hospital was officially opened on 1 June 1983 by Her Royal Highness, Diana, The Princess of Wales. Royal Preston Hospital continued to expand and in 1985 a £1.5 million regional kidney unit was opened. The hospital opened its first satellite kidney dialysis unit at Accrington Victoria Hospital in 1989

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12134 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Pontius, we get to the doctor (private) before he opens, sit outside, and get seen first. No appointment. Later people get seen later. Very late people don't get seen at all. Doctor likes Mrs OFSO but if he has emergencies even she has to wait.

On the Spanish NHS, quite different. From friends with money but not prepared to spend it on private treatment, we know you can wait weeks for an appointment, not find the same doctor each time, find one who knows his subject or not.....

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12135 Post by Magnus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:50 pm

On the subject of quacks, I'm scheduled to get fettled on Wednesday with a balloon and stent in the dicky ticker. I should be out in a couple of hours, but if I don't post later next week, then the fettler fekd up. Fed up paying hospital parking charges. . . .

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12136 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:14 pm

OFSO, on the last, we now both have personal files, copies of hospital appointment letters, especially as we have used hospitals outside of NHS Trust area, and MRI, CT, and other results. When seeing and medics we can find information directly rather than wait while they trawl through the computer notes.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12137 Post by Wodrick » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:39 pm

It's an Africa night.

I too failed to spot that Rev Jim had not been too good,one hopes for a full recovery.
One also missed that Mrs IB is soon to be fettled, grand.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12138 Post by handsfree » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Good luck with the stenting Magnus. Should make quite a difference to you.

I know what you mean about the hospital parking charges; it was costing me £6.20 three times a week
at one point until some wonderful nurse pointed out that I could get a Renal Dialysis car park pass for
£25 that lasted a year.

Ventured into Derby City this morning. The River Derwent was in full spate. For those of you who know Derby, the swing bridge by the Silk Mill
has been swung out of the way of the currents. First time I've known that to be done. The Trent is well into flood territory again too.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12139 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:13 pm
......Probably playing Uckers. Can't even remember the rules. Help anyone?
I can't remember the rules either. In '66 we were on a joint exercise with 72 Squadron Wessex from RAF Odiham. They raided us one night in our camp in Yorkshire and stole our Uckers board. Never got it back. Most ungentlemanly behaviour! :D
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12140 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:03 pm

All the best for next week, Magnus. Sod's law that Edinburgh Royal Infirmary is one of only three hospitals in Scotland that still charge for parking, others being in Glasgow and Dundee - all Private Finance Initiative contracts which were too costly to buy out.

We are so fortunate in Aberdeen as a local businessman paid £10m for the total cost of a multistorey car park at ARI. The two conditions were that there were to be no charges and that only patients and their visitors could use it, no staff. It's made an incredible difference as parking was a nightmare before.

Never trust what a politician says - especially an SNP one who in 2017 said:
parking.JPG
parking.JPG (18.07 KiB) Viewed 224 times