Original v Compatible Laser Printer Toner.

Title says it all
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Original v Compatible Laser Printer Toner.

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Any thoughts? We are light users of a HP Color Laserjet MFP M477fdw printer - our first laser one - which is just over a year old. We're coming to the end of the reduced size toner cartridges that came with the machine. I'm tempted to go with Cartridgesave's compatible toner as it's so much cheaper and they guarantee it won't harm the printer.

I've always used original supplies with the previous inkjet but what does the team think about compatible laser toner? Anyone used Cartridgesave products? They seem to get good reviews.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Original v Compatible Laser Printer Toner.

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:59 pm

With compatible you often get more for your money. By that I mean not just lower price but more ink.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OFSO » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:22 pm

Tried compatable inkjet cartridges once. They leaked. HP originals for my printer cost €25 which is fair. And they never dry out like Epson's.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:44 pm

I have a HP Printer-Scaner-Copier black and white HP LaserJet Pro MFP M125. I had a discount coupon of 50 €that was about to expire. The normal price of the ink was around 85 € then the reduced at 65 and for a limited period when I went to use the coupon was at around 48 €. I didn't bother to check for a compatible one. A friend does know what ink she needs and buys and stocks them when they are on sale.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#5 Post by jimtherev » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Have the same MFP M277dw. Too tight to buy OEM toner. Now buy from Amazon at less than a quarter of HPs price. Sometimes it reports 'Non-HP toner cartridge in use' sometimes it doesn't even notice. Quality usually good but occasionally get a sprinkling of a particular colour as we get down to 20 - 25% full. Either grin and bear it or change the cartridge.
FYI I've now printed 30,000+ pages, colour carts usually last about 2,500 sheets or so, black up to 3,000 if I get the high-capacity.

And of course, being a laser, the toner never dries up. More than I can say for my Canon photo-printer, a pain in the bum. Non-OEM ink for this too; use it so little that it wastes more ink setting itself up than it ever does printing stuff. I've found IJT direct sell good compatible ink with good fade-resistance and good colour truth.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 am

jimtherev wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:00 pm
Have the same MFP M277dw. Too tight to buy OEM toner. Now buy from Amazon at less than a quarter of HPs price. Sometimes it reports 'Non-HP toner cartridge in use' sometimes it doesn't even notice. Quality usually good but occasionally get a sprinkling of a particular colour as we get down to 20 - 25% full. Either grin and bear it or change the cartridge.
FYI I've now printed 30,000+ pages, colour carts usually last about 2,500 sheets or so, black up to 3,000 if I get the high-capacity.

And of course, being a laser, the toner never dries up. More than I can say for my Canon photo-printer, a pain in the bum. Non-OEM ink for this too; use it so little that it wastes more ink setting itself up than it ever does printing stuff. I've found IJT direct sell good compatible ink with good fade-resistance and good colour truth.
How much cheaper is the Amazon purchase than the OEM toner?

Regarding ink-jet friend of mine has such a printer. She is a teacher so her summers are work and thus print free. Last year I pointed out the drying up of the ink jet however she saw no such an issue. The printer worked fined after the summer break.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:16 am

RiS, I would expect that if it was HP, never had a problem.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:19 am

PN good point that I didn't know it.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by unifoxos » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:13 am

Refilled my Lexmark black toner some months ago with compatible at half the OEM price, it's printing fine.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#10 Post by jimtherev » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:09 pm

Amazon Pricing: Can't find the invoice for the last lot of toner carts I bought, but from memory £78 for the set of 4. HP OEM - a single high-capacity black offered for £70-ish.