Could Hong Kong become a US state?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Could Hong Kong become a US state?

#1 Post by BenThere » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:59 pm

Could Hong Kong become a US state? Alberta? Poland? Israel?

Of course, none of us has a crystal ball to see what happens in the next 50 years. Call me a chauvinist, but I think the American idea and ideal have legs and will endure whatever the world throws at us and we will prevail, as we always have done. The secret is assuring that the power always remains with the people. The bureaucracy is the enemy. Our strength is expressed in our anthem, "Home of the Free, and Land of the Brave". I think we've lived up to that for more than 200 years and it has worked out quite well.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

Re: Could Hong Kong become a US state?

#2 Post by Stoneboat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:41 am

Dunno about HK or Poland, but Albertans are mightily po'd, as they well should be. The idea might be far fetched, but if that 'kin vacuum head in Ottawa doesn't get off his ass and to something to lessen the tension...
There was a report in one national newspaper that "Alberta is the world's largest place to be declared rat free." I sent it to a friend in Calgary, congratulating them for not electing a single Liberal member of Parliament in the recent election.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by John Hill » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:02 am

BenThere wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:59 pm
Could Hong Kong become a US state? Alberta? Poland? Israel?

Of course, none of us has a crystal ball to see what happens in the next 50 years. Call me a chauvinist, but I think the American idea and ideal have legs and will endure whatever the world throws at us and we will prevail, as we always have done. The secret is assuring that the power always remains with the people. The bureaucracy is the enemy. Our strength is expressed in our anthem, "Home of the Free, and Land of the Brave". I think we've lived up to that for more than 200 years and it has worked out quite well.
How about Afghanistan? How about Iraq? You must be really proud they way those countries blossomed under Uncle Sam's guidance.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Slasher

#4 Post by Slasher » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:12 am

Hong Kong? C’mon Ben...with all due respect you’ve really got to be ****’ me! =))

First of all I dunno about bits of Canada, but how the hell can HKG constitutionally become a US State (as against ‘state’)? Maybe it can join the Republic since all states are congressionally referred to as countries anyway. I’ll have to consult Dan Smoot on that one.

Secondly no frigging Honky in their right mind will pay US Federal income tax, nor any American tax in any form. So they will have to become non-US aliens as well as being non-US persons. What benefit will that provide in the long run?

In Hong Kong’s case I can’t see it happening. The Chinks in Beijing certainly won’t permit it, even when all of HKG major centres of Finance complete their current repositioning to Shanghai.

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Fliegenmong » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:55 am

Really Ben??.....That's a ***** stirrin' question at best right? You have economics degrees right? Why would you even post something so wildly 'out there'..?? You been on the moonshine mate? ...Do you know that part of the World???
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Ben, it takes 3 to Tango and look at the problem with Taiwan or the Spratleys. Now if they had a free vote to join the Commonwealth I think they would do so in the blink of an eye.

They speak our English not your's.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by BenThere » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Now if they had a free vote to join the Commonwealth I think they would do so in the blink of an eye.
Maybe so but the flags I see the Hong Kong protesters waving are American. Further, the only protection against Chinese encroachment and domination is American power and will. The Commonwealth can't provide that.

You could draw some parallels between what ended the Iron Curtain and what is going on in Asia today. I admit the idea of adding US States from such as Hong Kong is far-fetched; I introduced it only as a point of discussion.