Chief Pilot

Re: Fairey Gannet

#21 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:18 pm

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:14 pm

Thanks for that CPTN. An interesting read and photo of Pete Frame. So far I've got to page 124 where mention is made of Pete de Souza - who also flew Gannets in his early career. He was an 803 Squadron Scimitar pilot on Ark Royal during my time on board. Due to mechanical failures 803 lost 8 of their 16 Scimitars during that Commission and Pete de Souza contributed to that. On 6 April 1966, he suffered a partial hydraulic failure and fire warnings after take-off from Changi, first starboard then port engine. He headed the aircraft seawards and ejected. The aircraft crashed into the sea in flames and he was rescued injured about 100 yards from the coast by helicopter.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by Smeagol » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:59 pm

Sorry to intrude amongst you gents who flew, maintained or otherwise were associated with the Gannet. My reminiscence of them were as a pupil in the grammar school at Helston when a squadron or two were stationed at Culdrose. When they flew circuits they certainly made a very distinctive noise.
And a lot of it!
We hates Bagginses!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:24 pm

Smeagol wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:59 pm
Sorry to intrude amongst you gents who flew, maintained or otherwise were associated with the Gannet. My reminiscence of them were as a pupil in the grammar school at Helston when a squadron or two were stationed at Culdrose. When they flew circuits they certainly made a very distinctive noise.
And a lot of it!
Just listen to that aircraft... until the ludicrous music cuts in.

Why do these idiots always put music on these aviation videos...? Still the Gannet pisses over their malodorous cacophony! Nonetheless replaced with another sound video (I know a contradiction in terms)...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by FD2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:49 pm

It’s high up on the list of stupid cliches Goblin. Like playing rock type music whenever a car or speedboat etc appears in a travel doc. Next annoying thing for aviation people is to have wrong noise soundtrack like piston engine for a Sea King or Jetranger noise for any type of helicopter. Also shutting down before they’ve actually landed and people jumping straight out. X(