Not Avoiding the School

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Not Avoiding the School

#21 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:55 am

OK I need to admit it and even claim some disability allowance but when I was serving at the cargo desk of the air base where I served we walked in a safe distance behind the C-130H while the engines were running. The exhaust gases didn't smell too badly.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:09 am

Boac wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:36 am
this case was a clearly a decision made in extremis
- aha! You have the enquiry results! There was me reserving the cock-up theory too as an option.
Of course, I have prejudged the whole thing. What do you expect? Now where is that METAR? =)) ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:25 am

Fumbling for it already. Unfortunately my usual source has not provided, but in lieu, from Av Herald?

"A Delta Airlines Boeing 777-200, registration N860DA performing flight DL-89 from Los Angeles,CA (USA) to Shanghai Pudong (China) with 181 people on board, was climbing out of Los Angeles' runway 24L when the crew stopped the climb at 8000 feet reporting right hand engine (Trent 892) compressor stalls, they needed to return to LAX. The crew subsequently advised they had brought the engine back under control, just needed to slow and requested to land on runway 25R. The aircraft was vectored for an ILS approach to runway 25R, emergency services went into their standby position. The crew did not request fuel dump. The aircraft landed safely on runway 25R about 25 minutes after departure. The aircraft vacated the runway.

The Los Angeles Fire Department reported as result of the emergency landing they needed to respond to the Park Avenue Elementary School, located about 10nm short of the runway, with more than 70 fire fighters are reported of some liquid raining down onto the school playground, where two classes were outdoors. The liquid smelled like jet fuel. The fire fighters checked 17 children and 9 adults, none needed to be taken to a hospital.

The airline reported the aircraft performed an emergency fuel dump to reduce landing weight."

A bit of interesting highlighting by me. It's beginning to look like one of those nasty 2-engine approaches.... =))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:32 am

Boac wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:25 am
Fumbling for it already. Unfortunately my usual source has not provided, but in lieu, from Av Herald?

A bit of interesting highlighting by me. It's beginning to look like one of those nasty 2-engine approaches.... =))

Opened the fuel dump cocks to Mr Cock Up perhaps!... Oh dear...! :-s
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:48 am

We'll see. On the face of it it does not appear to be a major emergency for the SkyGods, but if something went wrong with the other engine during the approach this could have serious implications for Delta's ETOPS Ops, although my fading memory (very much out of date!) suggests that a 'qualifying' engine problem has to actually occur in the ETOPS segment, in which case it will not.

ribrash

#26 Post by ribrash » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:12 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:22 am
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:50 pm
Never forget blue ice...!

I knew some kids who paid for the fumes they inhaled... :(

I refer of course to the scourge of nitrous oxide. A craze that is endemic among the youth in the UK in cities, small town and villages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreatio ... rous_oxide

While inhaling Jet A fumes is clearly very bad for one, this case was a clearly a decision made in extremis. No doubt it will end up with the lawyers while people are quite happy to ignore the far more pernicious danger of car exhaust pollution to children etc. in the USA and elsewhere in the world.

We live in a mad house.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... t-adviser/

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:55 pm

Telegraph headline from 2009: Nutt Sacked! =))

PP