General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Reverse Rant

#41 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:06 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:26 am
Bought a used cordless circular saw sans blade.
The safest sort 😁

Sisemen

#42 Post by Sisemen » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:33 am

llondel wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:24 am
Many years ago I took my car in for a new exhaust. I mentioned in passing to the minion that I didn't think it had lasted 12 months, more as a general gripe than anything else, but a manager appeared, established that while I didn't get it from them, I did get it from another one of their branches, and that if I could produce a receipt sometime in the next week showing that, they'd honour it under warranty. I had a poke around the door pocket and much to my amazement, found a yellowed receipt for the exhaust system from 11 months, 2 weeks previous which I showed him. So I got it for free. Mind you, I think the replacement only lasted 13 months.
One of the plus points of living in Oz is that exhausts last for ever. You’d be hard pushed to find one exhaust replacement supplier in WA.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:52 am

One would have thought that exhausts along the coast wold be subject to rust like most other exhausts around the world! I knew that Fiats werepoorly built and subject to rusting but the one I had rusted away within two years on the coast, I couldn't believe how bad it was
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:55 am

Last bought an exhaust over 40 years ago. Specified stainless in one new car. Salesman didn't like it but they took off the new one, our it in stock to pass it on to some sap who needed a replacement.

Last two cars both lasted over 15 years each though the first needed some bracket welding. Now it was on the coast.

Capetonian

#45 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:57 am

I had a brown Fiat 128 Rally for a while when I lived in CPT. Luckily I lived at the top of a long hill into town (near Tampax/Disa Towers, GG will know it!) and most mornings only managed to get the car started by rolling down the hill to Mill Street by which time the engine fired.
As it was brown, it was hard to distinguish the rust from the bodywork. If I parked overnight at my ex g/f's place in Mouille Point near the beach, I could see piles of rust on the ground in the morning.
Subject to rusting is a bit of an understatement!

ribrash

#46 Post by ribrash » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:19 am

My 2008 Ford Focus is still on its original exhaust.My mechanic told me that good exhausts have a tiny hole in them to allow condensation to escape.The condensation is the exhaust killer apparently.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:21 am

MIne generally get big holes in them. :))

Capetonian

#48 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:50 am

It seems that diesels don't suffer from exhaust pipe corrosion. Whilst I remember replacing exhausts on my petrol cars, I don't remember ever doing so on a diesel, My current diesel in 17 years old, I've had it for about 8. Although I hardly use it, last year I did 1500 miles in it.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:13 am

Capetonian wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:57 am
I had a brown Fiat 128 Rally for a while when I lived in CPT. Luckily I lived at the top of a long hill into town (near Tampax/Disa Towers, GG will know it!) and most mornings only managed to get the car started by rolling down the hill to Mill Street by which time the engine fired.
As it was brown, it was hard to distinguish the rust from the bodywork. If I parked overnight at my ex g/f's place in Mouille Point near the beach, I could see piles of rust on the ground in the morning.
Subject to rusting is a bit of an understatement!
:-bd

I finally walked away from Fiat on the Eastern Boulevard after it finally gave up the ghost. Rust ridden wreck.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:53 am

True, my present Merc is 15 though the other petrol one was also 15 and that was in the coastal area. Had one wing replaced and both rusty when I got rid of it. Worst rust was in the boot, the spare wheel stowage and the corresponding side. It was just paint that kept it together.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#51 Post by k3k3 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Mercedes quality went downhill after the W123, my FiL downsized from his W123 300D with 500k km on it to one of the newly released 190s in about 1985, within six months he had given it back, everything that contained a fluid leaked, engine, gearbox, coolant (many places), shocks, diff, etc.

He then bought a BMW 524D which he kept until he died fifteen years later.

Sisemen

#52 Post by Sisemen » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:03 pm

Learnt a trick while driving RAF Landrovers. Apparently, if you coasted them for a while with the ignition off, then switched it back on it would backfire.

Scenario: returning from a North Wales expedition training weekend. Try the trick out when sheep on the road. Hilarious! Bang! Sheep scatter for miles! And again. And again. Bloody good fun! Next hill and big mob of sheep spotted in the distance. Time for a really good one. Ber Frigging BANG!!!! Sheep scatter, as expected. What’s that noise? Is there a Chieftain tank up our arse? Nope, it’s us. Silencer split right along the seam. 10 miles down the very noisy road. “What’s that smell?”. Feck, were on fire! Or, at least the rucksacks and kit in the back were slowly roasting but, fortunately, not actually on fire. Shift kit and contintinue to motor through centres of habitation with EVERY fecker looking at us!!

ribrash

#53 Post by ribrash » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:12 pm

Sisemen wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:03 pm
Learnt a trick while driving RAF Landrovers. Apparently, if you coasted them for a while with the ignition off, then switched it back on it would backfire.

Scenario: returning from a North Wales expedition training weekend. Try the trick out when sheep on the road. Hilarious! Bang! Sheep scatter for miles! And again. And again. Bloody good fun! Next hill and big mob of sheep spotted in the distance. Time for a really good one. Ber Frigging BANG!!!! Sheep scatter, as expected. What’s that noise? Is there a Chieftain tank up our arse? Nope, it’s us. Silencer split right along the seam. 10 miles down the very noisy road. “What’s that smell?”. Feck, were on fire! Or, at least the rucksacks and kit in the back were slowly roasting but, fortunately, not actually on fire. Shift kit and contintinue to motor through centres of habitation with EVERY fecker looking at us!!
=)) =)) +1

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by ian16th » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:20 pm

The last exhaust I changed was on a Hillman Hunter in the UK, about 1980.

Never changed one in SA.

Kept a Ford Sierra for 14 years and my present Mazda is 13.
Cynicism improves with age

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:33 pm

PN:

Saw was a good deal even factoring in new blade and $2.00 spacer. Plus, I already owned several other cordless tools from same manuf. Just bought 20V lithium batteries and 20V to 18V adaptor as 18V NiCads are old and tired.

PP

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:50 pm

Sisemen wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:03 pm
Learnt a trick while driving RAF Landrovers. Apparently, if you coasted them for a while with the ignition off, then switched it back on it would backfire........
You could get an even bigger bang if you done the same thing in the petrol-engined Bedford RLs......allegedly. ;)))

Sandbag time - When Gutersloh sent its jets down to Bruggen whilst the runway was resurfaced, MTSS decided that would be a good time to clean and re-furbish the AVGAS bowser. As we didn't have a BFI to take the tankers contents, the AVGAS was downgraded to CIVGAS and transferred into the underground tank at the MT yard. I should mention at this point that the mix (at the time) should not exceed 1 part AVGAS to 20 parts CIVGAS. However, somebody ^#(^ got their sums wrong and the mix was ..ahem.."a little stronger" than it should have been - the subsequent PetLab report stated the mix was more like 1:5.

The daily re-supply runs to Bruggen were carried out by RLs and trailer. Very quickly, the MT drivers were waxing lyrical about the performance of their wagons on the autobahn and not long afterwards MTSS were complaining about cylinder heads apparently melting as a result of the "high-speed" runs.

On the subject of fuel cock-ups, I won't mention the AVPIN/waste fuel confusion on the station bonfire. Again, ^#(^ .
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Capetonian

#57 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:08 pm

You could do that with any petrol car. The unburnt petrol vapours collect in the manifold and exhaust and then when you switch on the ignition they explode. Quite a stupid thing to do but fun!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:50 pm

4ma wrote:On the subject of fuel cock-ups, I won't mention the AVPIN/waste fuel confusion on the station bonfire. Again,
- I think I missed it the first time. As a former Avpin user and Gutersloh operator I would like to hear it!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by ian16th » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:50 pm
4ma wrote:On the subject of fuel cock-ups, I won't mention the AVPIN/waste fuel confusion on the station bonfire. Again,
- I think I missed it the first time. As a former Avpin user and Gutersloh operator I would like to hear it!
Of all the Avpin stories, the best is the Rhodesian one, where a guy got Avpin in a Renault engine.

I'm sure a Giggle search will find it.
Cynicism improves with age

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by Hydromet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 pm

You could do that with anyone else's petrol car.
Fixed it for you, Cape.