G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#14241 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:49 pm

Sisemen

#14242 Post by Sisemen » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:53 pm

It is ‘kin warm at the mo. Just got back from dinner and a drop of red at the local hostelry (Slasher would definitely appreciate the staff!) and, as we walked out at 2030 it was like walking into an oven!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14243 Post by llondel » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:31 pm

I learned something last night. Opened the freezer door to get a burger out and was somewhat alarmed by the intermittent sizzling sound, which normally doesn't start until the burger is exposed to heat. Looked more closely and there's an orange glow visible through a vent at the back of the freezer, and the vent itself is somewhat warm. Immediate though is that the thing is trying to catch fire, so I pulled it away from the wall, unplugged it and unloaded the contents into the chest freezer downstairs (our kitchen is upstairs, we're on the side of a hill). Further investigations of the freezer and on Google uncovered this: https://products.geappliances.com/appli ... ntId=16265
EXPLANATION OF RED OR ORANGE GLOW IN REFRIGERATORS
In a frost-free (no-frost) refrigerator, the defrost system activates defrost heaters in the evaporator section (rear of freezer) that heat up and melt frost off of the evaporator coils. This process lasts for approximately 25-45 minutes and usually happens up to twice a day.

During this time, there will be no running sounds, no fan noise, and you may hear water dripping or sizzling as it hits the heaters. You may even be able to see an orange glow at the bottom of the freezer. This is normal.
So I plugged it back in, pushed it back against the wall and will reload the contents today. We've had this fridge-freezer for almost five years. Why have I not encountered this before?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#14244 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Afternoon folks. Didn't sleep well last night and town day today. Very stressed, every NR driver trying to kills us and animals all over the road. 100 km round journey to have hair cut and hairdresser not there. Child sick in hospital for a week. She could have told me before now. A two year old with diabetes which is a bit of a worry.

No rain. Goats have decided Squiffy Pussy III is a nice home. All over the ship this afternoon sleeping on the seats. Have pulled up the steps but they seem to be able to get over the side. The ship is a wreck. Even the bar has fallen down due to rotting supports. Don't know when we will get it afloat again. Very sad. At least we do have some water in the pond/lagoon. The little rain we have had has perked up the garden a tad.

Sun downers in the pool then hopefully a good night's sleep. As we will be reminded, it is Friday tomorrow.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14245 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:28 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:57 pm
Rain, Rain glorious Rain
Nothing quite like it for cooling the brain.

Rained from 2:00am to 8:00am, and not your average UK rain that just dampens down the occasional errant hair. Oz rain is big lumps of water that batter people into submission. This was the kind of rain that catches the unprepared, washing them down the storm water drains. :-bd :-bd ............
Alison
That's good news for you Alison, but bad news for a BBC reporter who "is a highly experienced journalist and presenter whose distinctive content for TV bulletins is an important part of our coverage." He'll have to get his @rse back to London and carry on with the day job. No doubt he will be submitting a (very) large bill for his "expenses".
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14246 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:30 pm

4ma, nah! As I suggested, if he is still there he can cover he floods.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14247 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm

I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here that well known gladiatorial contest set in the deepest jungle part of a hotel where the proletariat can vote for which delectable female is to under take the most revolting tasks like eating pigs anus etc.

Where is that jungle? Was it threatened by the fires?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14248 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm
Where is that jungle? Was it threatened by the fires?
Since the second series, the programme has been filmed around Springbrook National Park, near Murwillumbah, New South Wales, Australia. The camp and filming studios are located in Dungay on Creek Road.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14249 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:20 pm

Ty, how close to the fires and is it actually by a hotel? I heard that several different countries use the same set. Surprised the greenies haven't protested about cruelty to roaches, snakes, rats, and camels ' testicles.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14250 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:37 pm

Talk about petrol in Reverse Rant prompts a thought.

Honest John in the Daily Telegraph always recommends using oil majors' fuel rather than Supermarket fuel and go for the Super rather than standard grade. Readers' reports seem to confirm lower consumption of you follow this advice.

I remember when we had 3 grades in UK, 95, 98 and 101 octane. Also in Europe 80 and 91 was possible. I remember after fuelling in Turkey the only way to switch the engine off was to pull full choke and cool the cylinders with neat petrol.

Getting a new car in March I was told 95 was OK and it would run on 91 even.

What is the ON experience? Top grade, top price, or cheap cheap?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14251 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:51 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:10 pm
CharlieOneSix wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:16 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:30 am
C16 how's that hearing claim going.
Claim form, letter and copy of my War Pensioner's Certificate were all sent off first class post on Wednesday to the Royal British Legion Veterans Hearing Fund. My audiologist has said he'll provide any information needed. As receipt of a lump sum compensation payment is one of the accepted prerequisites I'm confident of getting through the first stage but as for the second stage, who knows! They are saying it could be more than 5 months for a decision on that due to the number of applications.
At the outset I was told it would take a year. Things seemed to be moving with January hopeful. I am now told I am in the pile and it may be April, ie a year.

When I rang the British Legion I was read out a proforma letter which basically said they were running out of funds and no new applications were being accepted.

The annoying thing is you don't want to go ahead and buy your own only to have them suddenly agree to give you them. I can envisage them trying to cut back on what you get, maybe no TV link, maybe other features. I guess the other problem is the review panel may only work part time.
I have not heard anything from RBL at all since I sent off my letter in September, not even an acknowledgment. I'll phone but will probably get the same response as you.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14252 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:53 pm

Hopefully, if you are in the system you may still get lucky but I simply do not see why it takes so long.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14253 Post by OFSO » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:42 pm

I use the cheapest petrol and diesel in the cars. Both cars passed the government emissions test at the end of last year and also the emissions test at Ford. Since switching from 'expensive' fuel, the mileage has remained unchanged at just over 60mpg for the Mondeo estate, mostly urban use. Don't keep a record for the Fiesta. The cheap (under a pound a litre for diesel) filling station has a notice stating where their fuel originates and its the same refinery that all the filling stations use. Honest John is talking through his exhaust pipe.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14254 Post by boing » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:56 pm

There are many places to get this information. Basically, a gallon of petrol of any type will contain the same amount of energy, the octane rating used should match the manufacturer's handbook recommendation. What does make a difference in the long-term is the effectiveness of any additives the refinery adds to the fuel because a contaminated engine is going to produce less power hence a greater fuel usage.

A service station could truthfully say that their petrol is the same as the major brands but this does not necessarily consider the additives.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

ribrash

#14255 Post by ribrash » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:19 pm

Honest John has always said its the detergents in certain brands that help the engine.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14256 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:27 pm

Boing/ribrash, I would not disagree about the detergents but that's now 2_votes for standard grade, is that 95 or 98 today, the dealer also said standard.

When I was in Cyprus we had a young man in the Mess, a chemist, whose job was testing fuels. He would tell us which fuel to buy - Petrolina came tops much of the time. Also to use the larger stations.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14257 Post by 1DC » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:02 pm

I have a Jaguar XF and in four years it only used a Majors top quality diesel but when i realised i could put supermarket ordinary diesel in for 13p a litre cheaper i changed. I didn't notice any real difference in performance but have lost about 4 or 5 mpg. I am sure that the top quality stuff gives a cleaner engine which is good for the long term and as i don't intend changing the vehicle I have changed back to the top quality. This costs me about an extra fiver per tank and as i only fill the tank once or occasionally twice per month it isn't worth getting excited about.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14258 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:05 pm

Thank you

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14259 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:26 am

As part of my fuels course, a trip to Avonmouth was part of the syllabus to see how a refinery/depot operated. At the loading gantries, there were lines of differently branded tankers all taking fuel from the same tap. It was only after loading that different companies added their own particular recipe of additives. The same method of loading was also carried out at the Lindsey refinery at Immingham.

I use supermarket diesel in me Honda and I'm getting 55 - 60 mpg for general running about. On a long run, it's nearer 80 mpg.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14260 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:40 am

Steam bike ? Aged 16 I added a 25cc two stroke engine to my school bike ( Cyclemaster ? ) but I had to register it as a motor bike, attach number plates fore and aft and take a motor bike driving licence test, the only one I have ever taken subsequently, in any country that I have used my UK licence to qualify for the local one, and at age 85 still riding ! - but not the original 25cc steed of course ! have 400 cc and four cylinders under my ass now.

Corrosion ? Once had a motor bike fuel tank leak due rust corrosion. Was subsequently advised to start up on the main tank, and when happily riding along with a bit of urge, change to the reserve setting, which takes from the very bottom of the tank and any water would be mixed with the fuel and probably not stop the now hard revving engine and also get rid of any in the tank. Still do it, but have no idea if it has any effect, I've never noticed any drop in performance or hesitation in the combustion, so maybe it's all an urban myth, tho' it sounds reasonable.