Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

General Chit Chat
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

#41 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:09 pm

Well Covid-19 has prompted me to pull out my dusty copy of Daniel Defoe's 'A Journal of the Plague Year', and I am interested to find that plus ca change in the affairs and behaviours of mankind when confronted by the threat of contagion and disease... e.g. “they did not take the least care or make any scruple of infecting others” and (another example) the proclivity of the wealthy to seek succour and safety away from the cities because they could afford to! Everything is all painfully familiar...
This was the beginning of May, yet the weather was temperate, variable, and cool enough, and people had still some hopes. That which encouraged them was that the city was healthy: the whole ninety-seven parishes buried but fifty-four, and we began to hope that, as it was chiefly among the people at that end of the town, it might go no farther; and the rather, because the next week, which was from the 9th of May to the 16th, there died but three, of which not one within the whole city or liberties; and St Andrew's buried but fifteen, which was very low. 'Tis true St Giles's buried two-and-thirty, but still, as there was but one of the plague, people began to be easy. The whole bill also was very low, for the week before the bill was but 347, and the week above mentioned but 343. We continued in these hopes for a few days, but it was but for a few, for the people were no more to be deceived thus; they searched the houses and found that the plague was really spread every way, and that many died of it every day. So that now all our extenuations abated, and it was no more to be concealed; nay, it quickly appeared that the infection had spread itself beyond all hopes of abatement. That in the parish of St Giles it was gotten into several streets, and several families lay all sick together; and, accordingly, in the weekly bill for the next week the thing began to show itself. There was indeed but fourteen set down of the plague, but this was all knavery and collusion, for in St Giles's parish they buried forty in all, whereof it was certain most of them died of the plague, though they were set down of other distempers; and though the number of all the burials were not increased above thirty-two, and the whole bill being but 385, yet there was fourteen of the spotted-fever, as well as fourteen of the plague; and we took it for granted upon the whole that there were fifty died that week of the plague.
It is well worth reading at this time...

A Journal of the Plague Year - Daniel Defoe
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by ian16th » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:26 pm

The golden oldie, Jack London's 'The Scarlet Plague' is also worth a read.

Might be difficult to source.
Cynicism improves with age

fin
Capt
Capt

#43 Post by fin » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:33 pm

Or "The Stand".
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:35 pm

I have a compromised immune system due to tablets I have to take - same as transplant patients take to stop organ rejection - plus having asthma and my age means I'm keeping myself to myself. We are in open country and have no other house within 400 yards. Mrs C16 has been doing the shopping as she's a 'young' thing but she's been laid up in bed for the last couple of days with a non Covid-19 illness. So tomorrow I'm getting up early and aim to be in our hopefully empty of people 24 hour ASDA by 0700 to get essentials. Fortunately we have masses of soap in stock as Mrs C16 likes to keep them for months before use so they harden up and last a bit longer. Two bidets mean lack of loo paper wouldn't be a problem if it came to that and we have alcohol based hand gels from before all this hoo-haa started. Just managed to book a Sainsburys delivery for next Friday.

I can't believe the laissez-faire attitude of some elderly friends with health problems (84 and 77). They think Covid-19 is being exagerrated. Others must think the same as apparently Stonehaven was heaving with people this morning and they had to queue to get into their usual tiny coffee shop and then sit at tables all crammed together. Nuts!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:55 pm

Charlie go for home delivery.
You may be ok at 0700 but with two supermarkets out of milk by 10 and our local shop much busier than normal home delivery makes sense especially if you don't know the shop.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:03 pm

ian16th wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:26 pm
The golden oldie, Jack London's 'The Scarlet Plague' is also worth a read.

Might be difficult to source.
Project Gutenberg is our friend...

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/21970/2 ... 1970-h.htm
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:32 pm

Thanks TGG :-bd
2 more on my incredibly long list of books to read.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:25 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:32 pm
Thanks TGG :-bd
2 more on my incredibly long list of books to read.

PP
I must admit that I haven't read Jack London's 'The Scarlet Plague' so I am looking forward to that too! :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by ian16th » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:41 pm

Its donkeys years, like about 60, since I read The Scarlet Plague, so I've downloaded it and I'll have another go.
Cynicism improves with age

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:29 pm

Nothing particular so far. My late cousin's widow rang me to cancel an appointment to give her some documents. It saved me the trip there.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:40 pm

Old English friend, originally of my now dead brother, a Professor of English at Tokyo University, with Japanese wife, contacted me today to say their trip to London was off due to the need to self-quarantine when they got back to Japan. I am really sorry, because he is a lovely bloke, I have not met his wife yet, but his decision is perfectly rational and understandable.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by OFSO » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:48 pm

I've just done my 22:30 evening walk round my demesne in Islington. Two corner stores plus Tesco Metro open as usual and shelves full. Couple of restaurants with a few diners in, but it's late to eat in England. Local pub been shut since February for renovation. Possibly fewer cars about, possibly fewer passengers on the bus. Hard to judge. So far not the catastrophy the media would have you believe. So far.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by probes » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:51 pm

Well, it might not be about a 'decision' in a couple of days/hours - generally people are advised to go home as soon as possible and while they still can (=transport-wise).

Maybe it's good for the human race to be reminded of what really matters?

C16, stay well and safe!

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by probes » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:53 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:48 pm
I've just done my 22:30 evening walk round my demesne in Islington. Two corner stores plus Tesco Metro open as usual and shelves full. Couple of restaurants with a few diners in, but it's late to eat in England. Local pub been shut since February for renovation. Possibly fewer cars about, possibly fewer passengers on the bus. Hard to judge. So far not the catastrophy the media would have you believe. So far.
But Boris is planning some 'measures' - next week?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:01 pm

When someone snuffs it after 3 weeks will their 6 months supply of bog roll be redistributed?

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by probes » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:07 pm

Oh, God, PN, aren't you an optimist! :-o

They couldn't trace down Case 1, maybe it'd be possible to find Idiot 1 who started the rolling madness?

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by probes » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:23 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:35 pm
I can't believe the laissez-faire attitude of some elderly friends with health problems (84 and 77). They think Covid-19 is being exagerrated. Others must think the same as apparently Stonehaven was heaving with people this morning and they had to queue to get into their usual tiny coffee shop and then sit at tables all crammed together. Nuts!
There's more to disbelieve:

Stunned Jet2 passengers reveal they were just 40 miles away from landing in Alicante when they were told their flight had to turn around and go home with Spain set to go on coronavirus lockdown.

'We were all quite surprised to hear that and it was rather bizarre to be so close to our destination only to come home again.
'Everyone on the plane was obviously disappointed, we all wanted to go on holiday, but also understanding that these things are out of our hands.
'There was no screaming or shouting or anything like that, everyone was very calm, and the staff were really nice about everything.
'It is a real shame that we won't get to spend a week in the sun, we love Benidorm and go most years.

and the problem is?
Mrs Carrick's (78) granddaughter Niki said: 'It's a frustrating situation because people arrange time off work and organise their lives around a holiday, but what can you do?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:27 pm

probes wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:23 pm

There's more to disbelieve:

Stunned Jet2 passengers reveal they were just 40 miles away from landing in Alicante when they were told their flight had to turn around and go home with Spain set to go on coronavirus lockdown.

'We were all quite surprised to hear that and it was rather bizarre to be so close to our destination only to come home again.
'Everyone on the plane was obviously disappointed, we all wanted to go on holiday, but also understanding that these things are out of our hands.
'There was no screaming or shouting or anything like that, everyone was very calm, and the staff were really nice about everything.
'It is a real shame that we won't get to spend a week in the sun, we love Benidorm and go most years.

and the problem is?
Mrs Carrick's (78) granddaughter Niki said: 'It's a frustrating situation because people arrange time off work and organise their lives around a holiday, but what can you do?
Don't fly Jet2 ever again. Simple. Not least because they were silly enough to hire an irritating TOP mod as a Captain for a while.

Don't go to Spain but keep away from the Lake District because the bloody place is now too crowded and full of English establishments that have or know not a jot about hospitality. Bleed you heart out Basil Fawlty!

We are are fast on our way back to prawn cocktails and the monochrome of the 1950's here. What next? Rickets and TB? =))

Rickets, without Farnborough and, mostly grumpy old men, without appeal. That's what we have become! :((
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:32 pm

probes wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:07 pm
Oh, God, PN, aren't you an optimist! :-o

They couldn't trace down Case 1, maybe it'd be possible to find Idiot 1 who started the rolling madness?

The joke of this loo roll thing is that stomach issues (a polite way of putting it) are a rare symptom of the virus in humans...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by tango15 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:00 am

So, let's have a sense of proportion on the Covid-19 outbreak, or whatever alias is being used for it.

Germany - pop. 83 million - Covid cases 4585 - deaths 9
Italy - pop. 60 million - Covid cases 21157 - deaths 1440
Spain - pop 46 million - Covid cases 6391 - deaths 196
France - pop 65 million - Covid cases 4500 - deaths 91
UK - pop 67 million - Covid cases 1140 - deaths 21

...and since we're always being told how much better the Scandinavians run their lives, let's compare their figures, too:

Norway - pop 5 million - Covid cases 1108 - deaths 3
Sweden - pop 10 million - Covid cases 948 - deaths 2
Denmark - pop 6 million - Covid cases 836 - deaths 1
Finland - pop 5 million - Covid cases 225 - deaths 0

All these countries heave ageing populations.

I am aware that the reporting systems may be different, but population is population and deaths are recorded the same way in all civilised countries.