brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO
Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#6201 Post by brickhistory » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:05 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Perdue avec that French connection.
Yet you find time to kibbitz about things here that you know not.

As we say around here, "Bless your heart..."
What's his plan? A Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6202 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:18 pm

to kibbitz about things here that you know not.
and by no means alone, eh Brick?

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6203 Post by John Hill » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:57 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:46 pm
....don't fret, Ben - god has said it will be over very soon - early March, I think he said. People are really quite amazed how much he knows about it - and everything.
Best be prepared and get a few more guns and ammo.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6204 Post by brickhistory » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 pm

Irony? It's like goldy or bronzey…

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/03/ ... detectors/

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6205 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:00 pm

You can see why they don't want those virus-infected yanks crossing over, can't you?
Noname.jpg
Mind you, it will be alright by early March - or is that Easter? - and Ben will be able to go again. :))

brickhistory
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6206 Post by brickhistory » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 pm

Get your stuff back from the French yet or just lying back and thinking of England?

Again.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6207 Post by Boac » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 pm

I remember losing my heart in France once - is that what you are on about? She was lying back but I don't think she was thinking about France - or England.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6208 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:46 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 pm
I remember losing my heart in France once - is that what you are on about? She was lying back but I don't think she was thinking about France - or England.
Like the Vandals with the Franks you saw, conquered and came! ;)))

For my part I left my heart in Sam Frank's Disco...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6209 Post by BenThere » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:55 am

A delightful interlude, TheGreenGoblin, but the San Francisco he paid homage to, is gone. I've spent a good part of my life hanging out in SF. I realized four years ago, when I still slayed over there before my airline retirement, that San Francisco has squandered its luster and is rapidly descending into the cesspit occupied by so many other Democrat ruled cities.

That such a once beautiful city should be reduced to its current condition tugs at my heart. But they elected Nancy Pelosi forever. Now come the consequences.

Capetonian

#6210 Post by Capetonian » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:19 am

Since my teens I'd always hankered to go to SFO.

With apologies to Messrs. Simon and Garfunkel

I was sittin' in the airport
Got a ticket for a distant port, mmm
On a tour of one night stands
My suitcase and guitar in hand
And every stop was neatly planned

In the 70s I bought a RTW ticket including a stop in SFO. Unfortunately I never got there until about 1996, having driven up the coast from that shithole 340 miles further south, my enduring memories, apart from the scenic beauty of the setting, are of the number of bloody weirdos everywhere, and being on a business trip with a male colleague who had a very 'boyish' face, how many old queens tried to pick us (him!) up. We got a few drinks out of it.
No great desire to go back but I am glad I crossed it off the list.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6211 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 pm

BenThere wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:55 am
A delightful interlude, TheGreenGoblin, but the San Francisco he paid homage to, is gone. I've spent a good part of my life hanging out in SF. I realized four years ago, when I still slayed over there before my airline retirement, that San Francisco has squandered its luster and is rapidly descending into the cesspit occupied by so many other Democrat ruled cities.

That such a once beautiful city should be reduced to its current condition tugs at my heart. But they elected Nancy Pelosi forever. Now come the consequences.

Glad you enjoyed Mr Bennett Ben There. I haven't been to SF for many a long year unfortunately.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6212 Post by BenThere » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:55 pm

As I have posted its accolades before, Tulum, in Mexico's Yucatan, is my new San Francisco. It has majestic beaches, abundant restaurants serving a range from Mexican street food to very high end cuisine, with lots of fresh seafood, weather that is always good if there isn't a hurricane around, a marvelous local Mayan culture with natural human warmth, all at a low cost Every day I spend there is a treasure. So for me, who's once favorite city was San Francisco, my current favorite city is Tulum. The more I experience it the better I like it.

My perfect evening is sitting on my penthouse terrace overlooking the jungle at dusk, listening to the noises of the bird life, sipping a scotch or excellent shot of aged tequila or rum, swapping stories with the good expat friends we've made, and realizing we've all found a paradise where we can survive and thrive in pretty much any political or economic environment. I call that serenity.

Note to GreenGoblin: Don't bother. The area from the Wharf up to Market has turned to trash, aggressive panhandling, unsanitary homeless and drug addict remains, hostility - who needs that? And they will claim you are repressing them! I'd rather take a vacation in Texas, where right is right, the food is good, and the people are real.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6213 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:05 pm

BenThere wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:55 pm
I'd rather take a vacation in Texas, where right is right, the food is good, and the people are real.
I had the pleasure of working in Dallas for a year and liked the people, the climate and the food.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6214 Post by llondel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:07 pm

I see some GOP Rep has pissed off all sides by demanding a roll call vote. As some other rep noted, he's incurring $200k of costs to the taxpayer for all of them to fly back to DC to vote and then fly home again.

BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6215 Post by BenThere » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:39 pm

I had the pleasure of working in Dallas for a year and liked the people, the climate and the food.
I echo your take, TheGreenGoblin. I lived two years in Fort Worth, close to Dallas. I was a young USAF 2nd Lieutenant stationed at Carswell AFB in Ft. Worth, a half hour drive to downtown Dallas, where we tended to go on our nights out. Dallas offered everything good - barbecue, steaks, Tex-Mex culinary delights. That was 1974-76. In all my days I've never had better steak, barbecue, or Mexican cuisine than then. The cherry on top was how our Texan neighbors and friends respected the soldiers among them. I benefited a lot from that sentiment and to this day hold a bond with the people of Texas that share the American dream with me. Texas is the core of America.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6216 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:31 pm

BenThere wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:39 pm
I echo your take, TheGreenGoblin. I lived two years in Fort Worth, close to Dallas. I was a young USAF 2nd Lieutenant stationed at Carswell AFB in Ft. Worth, a half hour drive to downtown Dallas, where we tended to go on our nights out. Dallas offered everything good - barbecue, steaks, Tex-Mex culinary delights. That was 1974-76. In all my days I've never had better steak, barbecue, or Mexican cuisine than then. The cherry on top was how our Texan neighbors and friends respected the soldiers among them. I benefited a lot from that sentiment and to this day hold a bond with the people of Texas that share the American dream with me. Texas is the core of America.
I found the Texans I met to be straight up and down. You generally knew where you stood with them and generally they were hospitable to this foreigner. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Dallas.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6217 Post by llondel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:02 pm

Trump has finally made it official. After trying to govern by tweet, the BBC is reporting that he's invoked the Defence Production Act to get GM to make ventilators.

Seenenough

#6218 Post by Seenenough » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:16 pm

llondel wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:02 pm
Trump has finally made it official. After trying to govern by tweet, the BBC is reporting that he's invoked the Defence Production Act to get GM to make ventilators.
Likely because GM were procrastinating ,regarding making them not only for the US but also for the benefit many other Countries that urgently need them.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6219 Post by Boac » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 pm

It hasn't gone down to well at the circus.

Seenenough

#6220 Post by Seenenough » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:39 pm

Got to love US politics.

Bloomberg pissed a billion USD against the wall for nothing, it seems, and Andrew Cuomo, who is not even running is the Dem front runner despite the party paving the way for Biden