Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

General Chit Chat
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Covid - 19: How is it affecting you?

#481 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:19 pm

Run the shopping list for my parents. Fortunately the list was prepared by my father in a very structural way limiting the walking in the store. No problem waiting outside just made two calls from the air-time allocated which is still plenty. Deliver the stuff at my parents and return. I even managed to buy my stuff (or what I was needed most) and a couple of items for an elderly neighbour.

It looks ok for the moment.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#482 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:47 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:19 pm
Run the shopping list for my parents. Fortunately the list was prepared by my father in a very structural way limiting the walking in the store. No problem waiting outside just made two calls from the air-time allocated which is still plenty. Deliver the stuff at my parents and return. I even managed to buy my stuff (or what I was needed most) and a couple of items for an elderly neighbour.

It looks ok for the moment.
Good men... :-bd

Die appel val nie ver van die boom af nie!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#483 Post by barkingmad » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 pm

Received a nice hard-copy letter from the UK NHS Blood & Transplant Service saying that due to the “plague” and the fact that I’m a septuagenerian wrinkly they are preventing me from donating for the next 3 months so’s I can self isolate.
Just donated earlier this month and the normal frequency is 3-monthly so not a lot of change there.....
Back to the Gs&Ts for rehydration then!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#484 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:23 pm

I have been prohibited from blood-doning since my major life-saving surgical operation (for which I am grateful), as they cannot guarantee the purity of the transfusions that I received.
I want to repay the blood bank but they won't let me . . .

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#485 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:48 pm

I got a delivery slot a week or so ago for 3 weeks time from now. At the time Mrs PN said 'got plenty of . . "
I pointed out that it was almost 5 weeks hence. Got a few things by my daughter on Thursday, she has another slot next Thursday then nothing.

We are supposed to isolate but will have to shop eventually

Cpt_Pugwash
Capt
Capt

#486 Post by Cpt_Pugwash » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:58 pm

We are in much the same situation, PN. Had the letter and a text from the NHS advising that we had been identified as vulnerable to severe effects of the virus if exposed, and not to leave home for 12 weeks. Directed to a government website to register for assistance, which we did and,......nothing.
Had to take SWMBO to the surgery this morning to give a blood sample prior to chemo next week, and managed to stock up on supplies on the way home, but will run out of milk and bread by next Tuesday, so another foray for supplies then.
Still, the amateur frequencies have never been so busy, so plenty to keep me occupied.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#487 Post by Karearea » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:05 am

Went out for walkies a little while ago, dodging across the street if I spied any oncoming pedestrians.
More walkers and cyclists about than cars.
Air smells fresh - noticed the fragrance of a cypress or thuja as I passed it; also birdies chirruping pleasantly.
Considering when to obtain fresh vegetables.
Around the world thoughts shall fly, In the twinkling of an eye

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#488 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:06 am

Prince Andrew has self-isolated with Sophie, 15"....Jennifer 14_yesterday
He's keeping busy ?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#489 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:43 am

Karearea wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:05 am
Went out for walkies a little while ago, dodging across the street if I spied any oncoming pedestrians.
When out walking to my parents place, I feel a bit like flying VFR: I try to spot incoming walkers and create / maintain separation as required.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#490 Post by 1DC » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:52 am

Got up early to try and get a pick up slot for groceries went through the major s'markets nothing until i got T.esco, one slot at 2000 clicked went up to shop no slot, went back slot gone some lucky bugger had a quicker finger..

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#491 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:03 am

1DC, how early 😀

Wonder how much I can sell my Waitrose slot for in eBay😀

When we flew transatlantic for a cruise we would log on at midnight to get out booking. Two couple s and get our preferred centre block.

Only way with the,supermarkets, midnight or bust.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#492 Post by 1DC » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:07 am

It was 0645 obviously will have to be much earlier than that to catch the worm! Mrs 1DC is guaranteed to be up about 0300 i will get her to give me a call.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#493 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:20 am

1DC wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:07 am
It was 0645 obviously will have to be much earlier than that to catch the worm! Mrs 1DC is guaranteed to be up about 0300 i will get her to give me a call.
Tip, you will probably need a minimum spend to reserve a slot. Just go for the whiskey, don't bother with a proper shopping list. You can refine the list usually up to the day before.

We made that mistake with Waitrose, tried to list many things - not available - eventually got the list. Two weeks later (3 weeks to go) went back to find 14 items previously ordered no longer available. As I think I said, had to reduce my order for loose carrots from 5 to 3. FFS, the carrots were for the dog. In 5 weeks she could chomp through a couple of kilos of fresh veg though she doesn't like lettuce.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#494 Post by 1DC » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:24 am

Thanks for that PN

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#495 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:36 am

Junior daughter was wondering if shopping for pet food was classed as an essential journey. I told her not to worry about risking a journey to the pet shop, just put her bunnies in a pen in the back garden. Bunnies fed and lawn mowed. Win, win.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#496 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:00 pm

Last night, a combination of Coronavirus lockdown induced cabin fever, BBC Radio 4 and my better half's desire to watch a film hosted by the British Film Institute resulted in high blood pressure for me and much cursing as well. She, i.e. the obergruppenführer, had heard a glowing critique of the film

Vivarium

"Oh wouldn't it be nice it we could watch this interesting and improving film tonight", quoth she, fluttering her eyelashes archly at me!

"Anything for you my pretty little gladiolus", spake I, and thus began at least an hour of irritation and frustration in getting the BFI''s confounded useless streaming software to work on our not so Smart TV. Suffice it to say I had to upgrade the software on the TV to get the BFI's hapless player to operate, only for me to declare victory and then be told by now bored partner, "no I am too tired now, I am going to bed"... :((

Peace, harmony and love in this time of Corona is going to be very trying indeed! =))

Perhaps I should abjure the BFI and morally improving films and stick to sipping liquor and ops-normal during these trying times!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#497 Post by OFSO » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:17 pm

Double decker to the City. Bus empty, then three got on. Nowhere near us. Sprayed hands. M&S allowing one in, one out, had to wait less than a minute. Everyone spacing. Week's shop, three bags plus one trolley, £85. Paid with card, sprayed hands. Bus back empty, then couple got on. Sprayed hands. Home via corner shop for Campari. Washed hands. Now out to Tesco for additional veggies, as we druv past on the bus saw shelves full.
Chances of infection ? Near zero.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#498 Post by OFSO » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:20 pm

Been to Tesco's. One in, one out. Stocked full. While the mem' shopped I went and looked from the road bridge down onto the towpath. Full of walkers and joggers. Idiots.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#499 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:30 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:36 am
Junior daughter was wondering if shopping for pet food was classed as an essential journey. I told her not to worry about risking a journey to the pet shop, just put her bunnies in a pen in the back garden. Bunnies fed and lawn mowed. Win, win.
Not sure if our dog would eat them or play with them 😀

Anyway, as per shops are permitted to open it follows you can go there.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#500 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Updated Waitrose shopping list, many things now available but thanks to Government recommendations, limited to 3 bags of flour, 3 bars of chocolate, 3 packs of beef and probably other stuff too.