WTF is happening in the UK?

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: WTF is happening in the UK?

#1061 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:58 am

From that report:
Co-op assistant manager Ms Tullett .............. This was my dream home which I paid for in cash.
What kind of wages does the Co-op pay that gives its employees the ability to pay cash for a house?

Can't feel any sympathy for her. Any right thinking person would have looked at that location, seen the erosion and said "Ferk that!!"...........maybe that's why she paid cash..... a mortgage lender wouldn't touch it with a very long barge pole.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1062 Post by ian16th » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:10 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:58 am
From that report:
Co-op assistant manager Ms Tullett .............. This was my dream home which I paid for in cash.
What kind of wages does the Co-op pay that gives its employees the ability to pay cash for a house?
Possibly inherited a house from deceased parents, and sold same.
Cynicism improves with age

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1063 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm

ian16th wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:10 pm
4mastacker wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:58 am
From that report:
Possibly inherited a house from deceased parents, and sold same.
There is that possibility which I hadn't considered. Still doesn't explain why she splashed the cash on a house in such a precarious position... unless it's cos the garden's got a swimming pool in it, innit.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1064 Post by ian16th » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:36 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm
Still doesn't explain why she splashed the cash on a house in such a precarious position... unless it's cos the garden's got a swimming pool in it, innit.
'Cos she's daft.
Cynicism improves with age

ribrash

#1065 Post by ribrash » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:23 pm

ian16th wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:36 pm
4mastacker wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm
Still doesn't explain why she splashed the cash on a house in such a precarious position... unless it's cos the garden's got a swimming pool in it, innit.
'Cos she's daft.
+1 It was a leak from the pool that washed the cliff away. =))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1066 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:31 pm

You must admit, that, pre-collapse, the property was attractive (in a sort of Spanish villa sort of way, and had a delightful location.
To find such a property at that price would seem like a bargain.

As I mentioned above, she failed to do her due diligence assessment comprehensively - though who told her 40 years?

Did her solicitor not raise questions?

Did the previous owners fail to inform her of 'material matters'?

Another possibility for her wealth was a divorce settlement - she was living with her 'partner'.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1067 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:35 pm

I feel sorry for Ms Tullett and advise her against doing any more business with companies with names like Los Alamos realtors etc!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1068 Post by 4mastacker » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:57 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:31 pm
You must admit, that, pre-collapse, the property was attractive (in a sort of Spanish villa sort of way, and had a delightful location.
To find such a property at that price would seem like a bargain..........
Looking a bit closer, it looks like the "house" was originally a mobile home (the central bit with the ridge roof) and has had bits n' bobs added to it. What's the saying? "If something looks too good to be true....?"

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1069 Post by om15 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:02 pm

I really think that the UK has problems far beyond the current Covid crisis, it is becoming ungovernable, here is a letter sent to the Prime Minister by the head of the Dorset Council
Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP
Prime Minister
House of Commons
Westminster
SW1A OAA
Date: 1 June 2020
Ref:
cllrspencer.flower@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk
Dear Prime Minister
As Leader of Dorset Council, I am writing to you to express my serious concern about the
disproportionate and negative impact the Guidance states to “travel to outdoor open space irrespective
of distance” is having on areas like Dorset which are popular with visitors. Dorset is within a single
day’s travelling distance for visitors from London and the Midlands.
Over the past weekend we have seen some extremely disappointing behaviour from visitors to Dorset’s
beaches. The incidents at Durdle Door on Saturday 30 May placed a huge strain on our emergency
services. There have also been issues in other popular destinations across the county with excessive
numbers of visitors not being able to observe social distancing. We’ve seen littering, people urinating
and defecating in public, people camping overnight and people having dangerous campfires and BBQs
– despite extensive warnings against this from all local agencies. Council employees have been abused
by members of the public as they tried to manage the traffic.
I am acutely aware of how worried and upset many Dorset residents feel about the current situation,
particularly when so many of them have complied fully with lockdown guidance, particularly, when the
Dorset Council area had one of the lowest COVID19 infection rates in the country.
My overriding priority throughout the COVID19 outbreak has been the safety and wellbeing of Dorset
residents, and all decision making has been based on this. We at Dorset Council have done everything
we can within the limited powers we have, to prepare for and respond to the situation. For several
weeks now we’ve been sending out a strong message that potential visitors should ‘think twice’ about
coming to Dorset.
However, since you announced on Sunday 10 May that lockdown was to be gradually eased and that
people can “travel to outdoor open space irrespective of distance” and “you can sit on a beach”, both we
and Dorset Police have had very limited powers of enforcement. For example, since the recent
guidance came into effect, the Police have no longer been able to challenge road users as to whether
their journeys are essential. In other words, we have limited ability to deal with the large visitor numbers
and issues like the lack of social distancing and the negative impact on local communities.
Ahead of this announcement there was no communication with local councils about how we might
manage this influx, including the need for car parking, public toilets and most importantly for beaches,
the provision of Lifeguards. I understand that concern was being raised by Ministers last week about the
lack of Lifeguards – surely this is a conversation that should have happened before your
announcement?
All our public services are very stretched due to weeks of responding to the COVID19 outbreak and
other major incidents such as the wildfire at Wareham Forest. My plea to the government is to review
the travel advice currently in place and instead ask people to “stay local”. I am concerned that we will
see a second wave of infection here in Dorset as a result of the high number of visitors to the area over
recent days. I’m asking the government to act now to save the lives of Dorset residents. Please help us
to help them by issuing a revised guidance telling people to stay local for the time being.
We stand ready and waiting to work with the government but in order to do so, you need to engage far
more closely with the local government sector to deliver the results we need for the country at this time.
Yours sincerely
Cllr Spencer Flower
I saw some of this first hand, absolute imbeciles flooding down here from the cities, not taking a blind bit of notice of safety guidelines, ending up in hospital due to stupidity, I was supporting Johnson as a matter of principle, but he has given the general public the benefit of common sense that they don't possess.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1070 Post by Boac » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:12 pm

Yes.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1071 Post by FD2 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:44 pm

om - I wonder how often repayment of costs is sought from morons like the ones jumping off the cliffs at Durdle Door? We all did stupid things in our youth but that lot deserve to be in a lot of pain, as there seems to be little else which will spark their brain cells into self preservation mode.

One specific point the PM here made clear was that outdoor activities which might go wrong and cause the emergency services to be involved were specifically forbidden. In other words use your heads when out and about. Walking locally ok, up country fishing not ok etc etc. 'Canyoning' probably frowned upon....think scale of risk.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#1072 Post by Bob » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:01 pm

om15 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:02 pm

I saw some of this first hand, absolute imbeciles flooding down here from the cities, not taking a blind bit of notice of safety guidelines, ending up in hospital due to stupidity, I was supporting Johnson as a matter of principle, but he has given the general public the benefit of common sense that they don't possess.

Oh come on, you think the Gov doesnt know this will happen?.

Its the Economy stupid, they arent worried about a ***** load of **** millenials getting the virus (and one or two breaking their necks) as most of them will be ok with it and when they pass it on to the old **** and it kills em off, then that just helps with deficit
It's Capitalism, I'm surprised at you OM, I thought you right wingers knew how it works
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1073 Post by FD2 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:33 pm

Had a bad day Bob?

Do you think you have made a serious point or are vying to take over from K&C in pointless leftie name calling and spite?

'It's Capitalism' - I ask you! Do you think Boris and Dominic are sitting in a room somewhere plotting that to get the economy going again?

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1074 Post by Woody » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:01 pm

It's Capitalism' - I ask you! Do you think Boris and Dominic are sitting in a room somewhere plotting that to get the economy going again?
Well they’ve got 40 Hospitals to pay for, so you’d hope so :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1075 Post by FD2 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:41 pm

Yep - rather a lot of expensive promises made about the NHS! I'm sure they're plotting how to get the economy going again, I'm sure most countries are around the world, but not like 'that'. There may be a money tree growing somewhere we don't know about!

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1076 Post by Karearea » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:05 pm

Does the Council have the power to declare something like a Local State of Emergency which might give them powers to restrict numbers/visitors?
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1077 Post by om15 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:56 am

Karearea, I think in this case that the local Police have closed all the roads to that particular area, which is a great shame as I enjoyed a walk over those cliffs last week.

We have our pitchforks ready for next weekend.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1078 Post by AtomKraft » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:16 am

It's best if folk travel around- it will spread the bug.

Only way we are getting out of this is when we've all been exposed to it.

Unless someone knows of an alternative?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Will the government come clean?

#1079 Post by Boac » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 am

A rumoured 8000 or so new cases of C19 daily in the UK. Tony Hancock's fabled 'Test, Track and Trace' running since Thursday and still no figures on any results! What on earth makes me think this is yet another Bojo cock-up? (Let's face it, he had had lots of those....)

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1080 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:14 am

Test:Trace only just barely started at the end of last week. They've admitted that it won't be up to speed until the end of June.

It's now abundantly clear that the countries which have been successful in tackling the epidemic are the ones which took the task seriously and did the shutdown:test:trace thing at a very early stage and vigorously applied the recommendations of the WHO.

The laggards, such as the UK and US, did not. No surprise that our infection and fatality rates are among the worst in the world.