Coronabollocks..

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Coronabollocks..

#1861 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:31 pm

The American way!

The US has bought up virtually all the stocks for the next three months of one of the two drugs proven to work against Covid-19, leaving none for the UK, Europe or most of the rest of the world.

Experts and campaigners are alarmed both by the US unilateral action on remdesivir and the wider implications, for instance in the event of a vaccine becoming available. The Trump administration has already shown that it is prepared to outbid and outmanoeuvre all other countries to secure the medical supplies it needs for the US.

“They’ve got access to most of the drug supply [of remdesivir], so there’s nothing for Europe,” said Dr Andrew Hill, senior visiting research fellow at Liverpool University.

Remdesivir, the first drug approved by licensing authorities in the US to treat Covid-19, is made by Gilead and has been shown to help people recover faster from the disease. The first 140,000 doses, supplied to drug trials around the world, have been used up. The Trump administration has now bought more than 500,000 doses, which is all of Gilead’s production for July and 90% of August and September.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... id-19-drug
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1862 Post by Woody » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:40 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1863 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 pm

Apt - considering the thread title.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1864 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:17 pm

Remdesivir

Here's how much Covid-19 drug remdesivir will cost

By Jacqueline Howard, CNN

Updated 2:28 PM ET, Mon June 29, 2020
Drug offers hope to some Covid-19 patients
N
One vial of the drug Remdesivir lies during a press conference about the start of a study with the Ebola drug Remdesivir in particularly severely ill patients at the University Hospital Eppendorf (UKE) in Hamburg, northern Germany on April 8, 2020, amidst the new coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. (Photo by Ulrich Perrey / POOL / AFP) (Photo by ULRICH PERREY/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)Now Playing

e

Covid-19 survivor says he's had symptoms for months
One vial of the drug Remdesivir lies during a press conference about the start of a study with the Ebola drug Remdesivir in particularly severely ill patients at the University Hospital Eppendorf (UKE) in Hamburg, northern Germany on April 8, 2020, amidst the new coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. (Photo by Ulrich Perrey / POOL / AFP) (Photo by ULRICH PERREY/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

(CNN)The United States now has a highly anticipated price tag for the antiviral drug remdesivir.

Gilead Sciences, the company that makes the Covid-19 drug, announced in an open letter on Monday morning that it has decided to set a price of $390 per vial for the US government, which would include Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense hospitals, and other governments of developed countries. But the discounted price will not include Medicare or Medicaid.
A typical five-day treatment course would include six vials, which would equate to $2,340 per patient, Daniel O'Day, Gilead Sciences chairman and CEO, said in the letter.
The US government will continue to manage US allocations of remdesivir to hospitals through September, the company said.
The letter added that the price for US private insurance companies will be $520 per vial, which would total $3,120 per patient for a five-day treatment course of six vials.
Hospitals frustrated by Remdesivir supply

Hospitals frustrated by Remdesivir supply 02:30
"The government price is applicable to the Big Four federal agencies (Veterans' Affairs, Indian Health Services, Department of Defense and the Coast Guard), as well as other government direct purchasers like the Federal Bureau of Prisons, once on the Federal Supply Schedule," a Gilead spokesperson told CNN.
"Medicare and Medicaid are not direct purchasers of drugs administered in an inpatient setting. Hospitals purchase inpatient drugs at commercial pricing and are then reimbursed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at set rates."
Remdesivir, which is currently administered through infusions, is the only drug that has an emergency use authorization from the US Food and Drug Administration to treat coronavirus infections. Until now, remdesivir treatments had been donated to the US government and allocated by the US Department of Health and Human Services and states. However, the US government's last scheduled shipments of that donation are going out today.
'We believe all patients will have access'
"As with all our actions on remdesivir, we approached this with the aim of helping as many patients as possible, as quickly as possible and in the most responsible way. This has been our compass point throughout, from collaborating to find rapid answers on safety and efficacy, to scaling up manufacturing and donating our supply of remdesivir through the end of June," O'Day wrote in the letter.
"In each case, we recognized the need to do things differently to reflect the exceptional circumstances of the pandemic," O'Day wrote. "Now, as we transition beyond the donation period and set a price for remdesivir, the same principle applies."
The US government's supply of Covid-19 drug remdesivir runs out at the end of the month
The US government's supply of Covid-19 drug remdesivir runs out at the end of the month
"At the level we have priced remdesivir and with government programs in place, along with additional Gilead assistance as needed, we believe all patients will have access," O'Day wrote. "Gilead has entered into an agreement with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) whereby HHS and states will continue to manage allocation to hospitals until the end of September. After this period, once supplies are less constrained, HHS will no longer manage allocation."
HHS Secretary Alex Azar announced that agreement during an appearance on "Good Morning America" on Monday.
"President Trump has secured half a million courses of treatment of remdesivir through September," Azar told ABC's George Stephanopoulos.
"This is the drug that if you're hospitalized can reduce the length of your stay by a third and we're working with our states to make sure it gets to the hospitals most in need," Azar said. "We're experiencing, in many of the counties in the southern parts of the United States, very serious outbreaks."
The allocation process
HHS noted in a press release on Monday that hospitals will receive remdesivir shipments and pay no more than Gilead's wholesale acquisition price, which amounts to approximately $3,200 per treatment course.
"Generally, patients do not pay directly for hospital-administered drugs like remdesivir; rather, for Medicare and most private insurers, the drug's cost is incorporated into payments made by the insurer, such as Medicare paying for the drug through a diagnostic-related group," the press release said. "These supplies will be allocated in the same way that Gilead's donation of approximately 120,000 treatment courses of remdesivir were allocated."

In other words, HHS allocates the product to state and territorial health departments based on the needs of hospitals with Covid-19 patients, and then health departments allocate the drug to hospitals.
"The delivery of the purchased remdesivir will be streamlined, going directly to the hospital, per the state's allocation decision, rather than going first to the state health departments for subsequent delivery to hospitals," according to the HHS press release. Shipments will likely occur every two weeks.
CORRECTION: This piece is corrected and updated to show that medicaid does not get the discounted price, but the VA and Department of Defense hospitals do.

pp

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1865 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:24 pm

And the 'customer' (or their insurance) will pay $$$$$$.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1866 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:36 pm

I would like to know the exact cost of this stuff and also the "bulk" price as there are going to be millions of courses (5-6 vials per average course) needed.
I'm sure that the mark-up is some insane amount. ~X(

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1867 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:40 pm

Supply and demand - or should that read 'Demand versus supply'?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1868 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:48 pm

I feel that it will be more like pan(dem)ic price gouging.

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1869 Post by Boac » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 pm

Whatever it costs, the USA is pan(dem)ic buying it. :))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1870 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 pm
Whatever it costs, the USA is pan(dem)ic buying it. :))
Don't pan(dem)ic Mr Mainwaring!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1871 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:49 am

C'mon, be fair. Thanks to Trump's "policies" in managing Covid-19, the USA needs the drug more than anywhere else...

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1872 Post by barkingmad » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:26 am

The mayor of the UK city of Leicester, location of a significant recent spike in Covid-1984 infections, is pictured in today’s pulp press, up a ladder talking to his mistress in breach of the lockdown guidelines. The picture is almost a 21st Century version of Rapunzle letting down her hair.

The 71 year old mayor has to be commended for his initiative, determination and pluck in pursuing his carnal desires with the 64 year old object of his affections/lust/home-cooking or whatever.

Whilst the Cummings and other lockdown breaches continue to fill the news meeja content we still hear nothing about Ian Blackhead’s 600 mile drive from the Westminster bubble to his own Local Bubble in the Nor’west of Jockistan.

Deadpan as ever, Auntie Beeb invites Professor Pantsdown onto this morning’s ‘news’ program to let him speak about the lockdown in the UK! I wonder if I’m in a parallel universe?

When this pan(dem)ic is over there’ll be so much material for the satirical humour vendors, that is if the new PC ‘woke’ authorities will permit such entertainment to be disseminated.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1873 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:08 am

Thought for a moment you were referring to the late noble Lord of that name until I remembered that he was late for a reason.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1874 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:17 pm
Leicester back in lockdown - the argument outlined by Hancock in the HoC seemed convincing.
Analysis of the monitoring test results has failed to identify any obvious source for the current outbreak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-53257835
the increase in reported cases could partly be due to a "growth in availability of testing" in Leicester.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1875 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:25 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 pm
G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:17 pm
Leicester back in lockdown - the argument outlined by Hancock in the HoC seemed convincing.
Analysis of the monitoring test results has failed to identify any obvious source for the current outbreak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-53257835
the increase in reported cases could partly be due to a "growth in availability of testing" in Leicester.
Nah, Leicester is full of grumpy, partly senile old women like my step mother. There is little surprise in their predicament.

This country is not out of the woods at all.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1876 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:28 am

Trump 'all for masks'; says it makes him look like the Lone Ranger ~X(
https://www.12news.com/article/news/hea ... 60c007e9f8

Shows he has no idea how a mask is supposed to be worn. [-X

Trump 'all for masks'; says it makes him look like the Lone Ranger
The president, who has resisted being seen in a facemask, indicated it made him look like the fictional Old West character who wore a black eye mask.

Author: AAMER MADHANI and DARLENE SUPERVILLE Associated Press
Published: 5:01 PM MST July 1, 2020
Updated: 5:01 PM MST July 1, 2020
Facebook Twitter
WASHINGTON — After long resisting wearing a mask in public, President Donald Trump said Wednesday he thinks it makes him look like the Lone Ranger — and he likes it.

“I’m all for masks. I think masks are good,” Trump told Fox Business in an interview. "People have seen me wearing one.”

Trump’s comments came a day after Republican lawmakers suggested that the president wear a mask in public to set a good example for Americans.

“If I were in a tight situation with people, I would absolutely," Trump said in the interview.

RELATED: Trump repeats coronavirus will 'disappear' day after 45,000 new cases reported

Trump has long resisted being photographed in a mask. In early April, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a recommendation that people wear cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures were difficult to maintain.

Trump immediately undercut the CDC guidance by flatly stating that he wouldn’t be following it, suggesting it would be unseemly for the commander in chief to wear a mask as he meets with heads of state.

RELATED: How US guidance on wearing masks during coronavirus outbreak has evolved

On Wednesday, he sounded a different tone, saying, “I had a mask on. I sort of liked the way I looked. OK. I thought it was OK. It was a dark black mask, and I thought it looked OK.

“It looked like the Lone Ranger,” he continued, a reference to the fictional law-and-order character from the American Old West who wore a black eye mask. "I have no problem with that, and if people feel good about it, they should do it.”

Credit: AP
Left: President Donald Trump holds his protective face mask Thursday, May 21, 2020, in Ypsilanti, Mich. Right: Actor Clayton Moore as "The Lone Ranger." (AP Photo/Alex Brandon and AP File)
RELATED: Republicans now push mask-wearing

RELATED: National mask mandate could help US economy, Goldman Sachs says

In recent days, many Republicans and members of the White House coronavirus task force have been more outspoken in advocating for Americans to wear face masks in public settings as infections have surged in huge swaths of the South and West.

The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, former Vice President Joe Biden, said last week that he would pursue a federal mask mandate, if elected.

But Trump continues to frame mask wearing as a matter of choice.

“If people feel good about it, they should do it,” Trump said.

About the virus, Trump continued to characterize it as a nuisance that he hopes will just go away.

“I think we are going to be very good with the coronavirus. I think that, at some point, that's going to sort of just disappear, I hope,” Trump said.

White House senior adviser Kellyanne Conway noted Wednesday that Trump is regularly tested for the coronavirus, as are his aides. White House visitors and members of the news media who are in close proximity to him and Vice President Mike Pence are also tested.

“I’ve said wear them, the first lady has said wear them, the president’s administration has said wear them,” Conway said.

Trump also told Fox Business that people have seen him wearing a mask. But only one image has surfaced of the president wearing a mask. He donned it for a behind-the-scenes tour of a Ford facility in Michigan in May. Reporters were not allowed to accompany Trump on the tour.

After the tour, he told reporters he had worn a mask in a “back area” only because “I didn't want to give the press the pleasure of seeing it.”

Other world leaders, including Canada’s Justin Trudeau and France’s Emmanuel Macron, have worn masks in public to encourage their use.

Trump on Wednesday also continued to push back against the notion that some states may have been too quick to open up. Several states, including Florida, New York and Texas, have paused or slowed down reopening amid the recent increase in confirmed cases.

Trump suggested Democrats are hyping concerns about the spike to politically damage him.

“I think the Democrats would like to see the country stay closed as long as possible because they figure that’s probably good for the election, because it would be bad a little bit for jobs, and maybe a lot for jobs,” Trump said.

PP

Could someone with more PhotoShop skills than me please illustrate Trump in Covid mask vs. Lone Ranger mask? ^:)^

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1877 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:17 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:28 am
Could someone with more PhotoShop skills than me please illustrate Trump in Covid mask vs. Lone Ranger mask?

Already been done, by The New Yorker:

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1878 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:26 am

More Wyatt Twerp than Lone Ranger, but here he is:

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1879 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:35 am

Remember George Bush, "Watch my Lips, no new taxes". Bet he wished they used masks then .

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1880 Post by Boac » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:27 pm

I have just watched today's much-maligned 'wee krankie's' Covid briefing. Clear, well-delivered, a brilliant effort again. Puts Hancock's Half-Hour' well to shame. Glad that is no longer broadcast on the Comedy Channel.