"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Capetonian

Re: Departed during 2020

#82 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:00 am

Sad to hear that, his music was up there with classical composers of foregone years. My favourite is that magical track from 'The Mission' which I am listening as I write these words, which look a little blurry on my screen.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by Woody » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:04 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:59 pm

Country music star Charlie Daniels, best known for 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia,' has died at 83
By Scottie Andrew, CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/entertai ... index.html

Updated 1:36 PM ET, Mon July 6, 2020
Charlie Daniels performs during Kicker Country Stampede - Day 2 at Tuttle Creek State Park on June 22, 2018 in Manhattan, Kansas.
Charlie Daniels performs during Kicker Country Stampede - Day 2 at Tuttle Creek State Park on June 22, 2018 in Manhattan, Kansas.
(CNN)Country music scribe Charlie Daniels, best known for the hit "Devil Went Down to Georgia," has died. He was 83.

The multi-instrumentalist had a hemorrhagic stroke in Hermitage, Tennessee, and was pronounced dead Monday, his publicists said in a statement.
Daniels, a Country Music Hall of Fame inductee and Grand Ole Opry alumnus, was born in North Carolina but quickly felt at home in Nashville. He moved there and played on records with music titans Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Ringo Starr.
With the eponymous Charlie Daniels Band, he and the instrument he's most closely associated with -- the fiddle -- spearheaded a new genre of "Southern rock."
His best-known hit, 1979's "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," is still a staple at classic rock stations.
Though mostly associated with country music, Daniels told CNN once that he doesn't like to wear any kind of label.
"I'll give you a little breakdown of our band," Daniels said in 2001. "We played with the Rolling Stones years ago in Memphis, Tennessee, in the afternoon and flew down to Austin, Texas, that night and worked the Willie Nelson picnic."
In 2008, he was inducted into the Grand Ole Opry, nearly 40 years into his professional career. It took until 2016 for Daniels to earn entry into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
Daniels regularly blogged about his political beliefs on his website and his Twitter page, including in the days preceding his death.
Many of his songs were rooted in patriotism and his deep admiration of the US, which he often called the "greatest country in the world" in his music.
In 1980, he released "In America" as a response to the Iranian hostage crisis.
More than 30 years later, his outspokenness prompted him to withdraw from the Country Freedom Concert in Nashville, Tennessee, which honored September 11 rescue workers.
Daniels planned to unveil a new single, "This Ain't No Rag, It's a Flag," but concert organizers balked at the song's lyrics, which included "This ain't no rag it's a flag, and we don't wear it on our head."
But the song he'll forever be known for is "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," a rompin', stompin' bluegrass hoedown between the devil and a young country boy named Johnny for the latter's soul.
The song spent weeks on the charts, eventually going platinum. A year after its release, it was featured in the film "Urban Cowboy," introducing it to an even broader audience. More recently, it was featured in a "Guitar Hero" video game.
In 2014, he co-founded the Journey Home Project, which connects veterans with nonprofits for health care, education and career resources.
Daniels' last musical project was in collaboration with the Beau Weevils on an album that added a contemporary twist to Daniels' retro Southern rock. He performed in a "quarantine edition" of a song off that album, "Geechi Geechi Ya Ya Blues," just last month.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#85 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:12 am

Can't let this go without posting Devil Went Down to Georgia...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#86 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:27 am

Emily Warner, first woman captain for a scheduled US airline, passed away July the 3rd. RIP.

Emily Warner Obituary
Warner was also the first woman invited to join the Air Line Pilots Association—a bittersweet first, given the fact that Helen Richey (the first woman to fly briefly for a US airline) was denied that membership in 1935, leading her further into the depression that ended her life. Warner saw her accomplishments as a validation for the sacrifices made before her by pilots such as Richey, and Bessie Coleman, Willa Brown, and scores of others who spent years of effort to prove their worth to fly commercially.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#87 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:52 pm

For those with an interest in such things Claude Erskine-Brown (Julian Curry) in no longer with us.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#88 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:02 pm

Milton Glaser. RIP.
Not many graphic designers manage to touch the wider world and reach beyond those who, like them, spend a great deal of time worrying about the relative legibility of serif and sans serif fonts. Milton Glaser, who has died aged 91, touched almost everybody, with a project that was both entirely characteristic of his approach to design, and at the same time an atypical one-off.

In the crime-raddled and bankrupt New York of 1976, a difficult period epitomised by the Daily News’s famous “Ford to NYC: Drop Dead” headline, the state commissioned an advertising agency, Wells Rich Greene, to produce a campaign to turn perceptions around and attract tourists back to the city. The agency in turn asked Glaser to give the campaign a visual hook. The sketch defining his idea made on the back of a torn envelope in a taxi is now in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... r-obituary

milton-16201-62.jpg
milton-16201-62.jpg (115.63 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:06 am

Elvis' Grandson Has Left The Building

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/cel ... d-n1233616

Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dead at 27

Benjamin Keough, son of Lisa Marie Presley and grandson of Elvis Presley, dead at 27
"She adored that boy," a representative for Lisa Marie Presley said. "He was the love of her life."

July 12, 2020, 4:19 PM MST / Updated July 12, 2020, 5:38 PM MST
By Tim Stelloh, Diana Dasrath and Andrew Blankstein
Benjamin Keough, the son of Lisa Marie Presley and grandson of Elvis Presley, died Sunday near Los Angeles, authorities said. He was 27.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said in a statement that deputies found a white man in his 20s in Calabasas, California, who had been shot in the upper torso. He was pronounced dead at the scene, the statement said.

The statement did not identify Keough as the victim, but the sheriff's office confirmed his death to NBC News.

Authorities did not say who shot him. Deputies who discovered his body early Sunday morning were responding to a "rescue response call," the statement said.

TMZ first reported Keough's death.

In a statement, a representative for Lisa Marie Presley said she is "completely heartbroken, inconsolable and beyond devastated but trying to stay strong for her 11-year-old twins and her oldest daughter, Riley."

"She adored that boy," the representative said. "He was the love of her life."

Lisa Marie Presley, 52, is the only child of the legendary singer and actor, who died in 1977 at age 42.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#90 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:32 pm

Grant Imahara, an electrical engineer and roboticist who became co-host of the TV series MythBusters and White Rabbit Project, has died. He was 49.

3465.jpg

MythBusters was a long-running science and invention show made by Discovery. White Rabbit Project ran for one season on Netflix in 2016.

In a statement, Discovery said: “We are heartbroken to hear this sad news about Grant. He was an important part of our Discovery family and a really wonderful man. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.”

Imahara previously worked for Lucasfilm and its THX and Industrial Light and Magic divisions. His film credits included The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, Galaxy Quest, XXX: State of the Union, Van Helsing, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, AI Artificial Intelligence and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

“Grant Imahara was an electrical engineer who dedicated his life to using his skills to make people smile,” Discovery said. “Beyond his time with the Discovery family, Grant was one of the few officially trained operators for famed droid R2-D2 within the Star Wars universe, he also engineered the Energizer Bunny’s iconic rhythmic beat.”

The Hollywood Reporter said Imahara died suddenly, of an aneurysm.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... oject-dies
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by EA01 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:33 am

Cape..... :( ....

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#92 Post by ian16th » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Cynicism improves with age

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#93 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:11 pm

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#94 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:43 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:11 pm
Regis Philbin

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ge-88.html

PP
It must be great to co-host a show with a girl called Kelly Ripa! :)

She would have had an equally great career in Australia with a name like that!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#95 Post by bob2s » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:56 pm

Ya gota admit she'sa rippa looking shelia!

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Ah! de Havilland!

#96 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:30 pm

I had no idea she was still alive.

Amazing.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:21 pm

Olivia de Havilland

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ol ... d-n1005931

Olivia de Havilland, last surviving cast member of "Gone with the Wind," dead at age 104
The two-time Oscar winner spent her last several decades living in Paris, laughing at her own longevity.
Image: Olivia de Havilland
Olivia de Havilland in Paris on June 18, 2016.Thibault Camus / AP file
July 26, 2020, 9:50 AM MST
By David K. Li
Olivia de Havilland, an iconic actress of Hollywood's Golden Age and last surviving cast member of "Gone with the Wind," has died at age 104, her representatives said Sunday.

"Last night, the world lost an international treasure, and I lost a dear friend and beloved client," her former lawyer Suzelle M. Smith said in an email to NBC News. "She died peacefully in Paris."

The Northern California-raised de Havilland had been living in Paris for decades, following her marriage to the late Pierre Galante, executive editor of famed French magazine Paris Match. Galante died in 1998.

De Havilland poked fun at her remarkable longevity — even all the way back in 1962 — in her memoir, "Every Frenchman Has One." The venerable actress wrote, more than 50 years ago, that most people must believe she's dead.

“And so, when I wonder if you know that I live in France, I’m sure you don’t, because I am certain that you think me peacefully interred, and in good old native American soil. If that’s the case, you’re in for a surprise," de Havilland wrote. "By golly, I'm alive, all right. and I do live in France, and not under but on top of solid Parisian limestone."

De Havilland was nominated for five Oscars and took home best actress honors twice — in 1947 for "To Each His Own" and in 1950 for "The Heiress."

But she'll be best remembered for her work in "Gone With the Wind," picking up a 1940 best supporting actress nomination for playing Melanie "Mellie" Hamilton.

While "Gone With the Wind," and its romanticized take on the Antebellum South, hasn't aged well, de Havilland said the movie — and seeing old friends on screen — brought her joy late in life.

"Luckily, it does not make me melancholy," she told Entertainment Weekly upon her 99th birthday. "When I see them vibrantly alive on screen, I experience a kind of reunion with them, a joyful one."

"Gone with the Wind" produced the first Black Oscar winner, as Hattie McDaniel won best supporting actress for her role as Mammy.

On the night of the 1940 Oscars, de Havilland said she was crushed that she didn't win and jokingly believed the slight showed "there was no God." It took her two weeks to realize the historical impact of a Black actress winning Hollywood gold.

"Two weeks later, still brooding about the fact that there was no God, I woke up one morning and thought, `That’s absolutely wonderful that Hattie got the award!' Hattie deserved it and she got it," de Havilland told The Associated Press in 2004.

"I thought I’d much rather live in a world where a Black actress who gave a marvelous performance got the award instead of me."

Image: Olivia de Havilland Gone with The Wind
Actress Olivia de Havilland and Hattie McDaniel in a scene from the movie "Gone with the Wind".Donaldson Collection / Getty Images file
In recent years, de Havilland was star of her own courtroom drama as she sought to file suit against makers of the FX series "Feud: Bette and Joan," which centered on the rivalry between actresses Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

The nation's high court in January ruled without comment that it would not take the actress' case, letting stand a California appeals court's 2018 decision throwing out her civil action.

De Havilland had objected to her depiction on the eight-part miniseries, claiming her likeness was illegally used. Catherine Zeta-Jones played de Havilland, unfairly casting her as a vulgar gossip-monger, according to the tossed lawsuit.

Olivia Mary de Havilland was born on July 1, 1916, in Tokyo to her British parents — Walter de Havilland, an English professor at Imperial University in the capital, and Lilian Fontaine, an actress.

De Havilland and her sister Joan Fontaine, who went on to be an Oscar-winning actress as well, grew up in Saratoga, California, about 50 miles south of San Francisco, with their mother. Walter de Havilland left the family and married the family's Japanese housekeeper.

The sisters never got along as kids and their rivalry continued through their adult lives and careers. Fontaine wrote in her memoir "No Bed of Roses" of her sister that she could not recall "one act of kindness from Olivia all through my childhood."

Fontaine died at age 96 in late 2013.

De Havilland was married twice, first to screenwriter and novelist Marcus Goodrich and then to Galante. Goodrich died in 1991 at age 93. The actress had one child with each husband.

Her son, Benjamin Goodrich, a mathematician, was just 42 when he died in 1992 after a long bout with Hodgkin’s disease.

Her daughter, Gisele Galante Chulack, lives in Southern California and sat in court on proceedings on behalf of her mom in the "Bette and Joan" lawsuit.

Image: David K. Li

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:48 pm

Trini Lopez dies with of Covid19.

The only thing I want to die with is a hard on or, if given a chance, with the Homecoming Queen 1979...
Lopez, an accomplished guitarist, was mentored by Buddy Holly and Frank Sinatra and designed two instruments for the Gibson Guitar Corporation.

Lopez died in Palm Springs, California, of complications from coronavirus.

Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters was among those paying tribute, saying he had left "a beautiful music legacy".

He called his own Trini Lopez guitar his "most prized possession" and said it had been "the sound of the Foo Fighters from day one".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53749488

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#99 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:27 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:48 pm
The only thing I want to die with is a hard on or, if given a chance, with the Homecoming Queen 1979...
Will they be able to close the coffin lid?..... =))
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:28 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:27 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:48 pm
Will they be able to close the coffin lid?..... =))
=)) :p
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."