The thick as a brick thread...

General Chit Chat
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The thick as a brick thread...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:48 pm

Not thick at all... but a long way to go being marketable...
Regular house bricks could be used to power electronics after a major breakthrough in energy storage technology.

Researchers at Washington University in St Louis, Missouri, discovered that the cheap and ubiquitous material could be converted into energy storage units to hold electricity, potentially transforming houses into giant super capacitors.

“Our method works with regular bricks or recycled bricks, and we can make our own bricks as well,” said Julio D’Arcy, assistant professor of chemistry at Washington University.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 65341.html
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The thick as a brick thread...

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:38 pm

Shocking

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:46 pm

Does it matter how you lay them, as the actress said to the..............?

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ricardian » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:19 am

I have some storage heaters which are basically metal boxes filled with bricks and heating elements!
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:51 am

ricardian wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:19 am
I have some storage heaters which are basically metal boxes filled with bricks and heating elements!
They are storing heat - not electricity.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by llondel » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:53 am

Some UK scientists came up with a crazy idea of making a double-walled tank with a high voltage between the walls as a defence against armour-piercing shells. The first impressive thing about this idea is that they actually built a test rig, and the second impressive thing is that it worked. AP shells effectively inject molten metal into the target, so what happens is that the shell hits the outer wall and makes a small hole, then the streamer of high-velocity molten metal is ejected at high speed forward. Because of the highly charged plates, as soon as it contacts the second wall, a high current flows which vaporises the streamer and nullifies its effectiveness

I wonder if the brick wall equivalent will do the same?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:20 am

I wish news like those were announced in a more advanced stage

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:22 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:20 am
Yes let's hope this is not like nuclear fusion technology always 30 years away from commercial release.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#9 Post by unifoxos » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:37 am

Because of the highly charged plates, as soon as it contacts the second wall, a high current flows which vaporises the streamer and nullifies its effectiveness

And the resulting pressure increase turns the tank crew into jelly?
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:53 am

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:00 am

I think that refers to HESH rather than APFDS. The latter is a solid penetrator of DU or other high density solid shot. HESH is a shaped charge that behaves as you say.

I have seen the effect of an APFDS on a T54. The entry hole and the exit hole in the turret were not aligned.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:15 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:22 am
Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:20 am
Yes let's hope this is not like nuclear fusion technology always 30 years away from commercial release.
I was looking for that comment when on another site a commentator said there are already available mini fusion reactors.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:01 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:00 am
I think that refers to HESH rather than APFDS. The latter is a solid penetrator of DU or other high density solid shot. HESH is a shaped charge that behaves as you say.

I have seen the effect of an APFDS on a T54. The entry hole and the exit hole in the turret were not aligned.
The spalling and hot gas stream associated with a HESH round definitely leaves a terrible mess inside the vehicle if there is no adaptive/reactive armour or spall liner to reduce its efficacy. I doubt it would work very effectively in the case of the spaced armour (electrically charged or not) as noted in the the post above. A good generic round effective against buildings etc. as well but would probably be sub-optimal against modern Russian and American armour. Must ask me old school mate Tim who abandoned the SADF to become a tank jockey back here in Blighty and is still a beacon of knowledge about these matters!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#14 Post by Groundgripper » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Actually you are talking about three different types of anti-armour round.

HESH, High Energy Squash Head, which detonates up against the wall of the target, the resulting shock wave passes through the armour and causes fragments of the inner wall (spall) to fly off shredding the crew. Not effective against modern multi-layer armour.

APDS, Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot, which is a sub-calibre round comprising a 'dart ' of DU or tungsten carried in a full-calibre case that disintegrates as soon as the round leaves the barrel allowing the dart to fly to the target. For better stability and longer range the dart can have fins on the back to stabilise it, hence APFSDS.It's purely a Kinetic Energy (KE) round.

The third type is the so-called Shaped Charge. This has a cone, usually of copper, at the front of the round, with the explosive packed behind it. The cone has the large open end at the front. In front of the cone is an aerodynamically shaped nose that contains the impact fuse. As the front of this casing hits the target the fuse causes the detonator behind the explosive to ignite and the resultant flame front travels forward causing the copper to turn into a jet of plasma at a temperature in the order of 40,000K and up to a metre or so in length which literally burns it way through the armour. A feature of a tank that's been hit by one of these is the copper coating around the impact point where the copper has condensed. Modern ceramic or explosive reactive armour is designed to counter this. It's used in man-portable anti-tank weapons rather than tank guns.

In a previous life I used to work next to, but not for, our Warheads Department.

I just listened and asked a few questions.

GG

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:45 pm

Groundgripper wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:28 pm
Actually you are talking about three different types of anti-armour round.

HESH, High Energy Squash Head, which detonates up against the wall of the target, the resulting shock wave passes through the armour and causes fragments of the inner wall (spall) to fly off shredding the crew. Not effective against modern multi-layer armour.

APDS, Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot, which is a sub-calibre round comprising a 'dart ' of DU or tungsten carried in a full-calibre case that disintegrates as soon as the round leaves the barrel allowing the dart to fly to the target. For better stability and longer range the dart can have fins on the back to stabilise it, hence APFSDS.It's purely a Kinetic Energy (KE) round.

The third type is the so-called Shaped Charge. This has a cone, usually of copper, at the front of the round, with the explosive packed behind it. The cone has the large open end at the front. In front of the cone is an aerodynamically shaped nose that contains the impact fuse. As the front of this casing hits the target the fuse causes the detonator behind the explosive to ignite and the resultant flame front travels forward causing the copper to turn into a jet of plasma at a temperature in the order of 40,000K and up to a metre or so in length which literally burns it way through the armour. A feature of a tank that's been hit by one of these is the copper coating around the impact point where the copper has condensed. Modern ceramic or explosive reactive armour is designed to counter this. It's used in man-portable anti-tank weapons rather than tank guns.

In a previous life I used to work next to, but not for, our Warheads Department.

I just listened and asked a few questions.

GG
A succinct lucid synopsis... ^:)^
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Makes one thankful that I wasn't a Tankie!
Cynicism improves with age

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by ricardian » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:31 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:51 am
ricardian wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:19 am
They are storing heat - not electricity.
Damn! That comes from reading stuff when half-asleep
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:00 pm

Well as we have, as is our interesting wont, delved into the fascinating mathematics of death, destruction and even creation, I am apt to ruin it all with yet one of my infernal music videos (as Capetonian isn't here to call me to order, I shall admit that I hear his voice)...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by llondel » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:04 am

unifoxos wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:37 am
Because of the highly charged plates, as soon as it contacts the second wall, a high current flows which vaporises the streamer and nullifies its effectiveness

And the resulting pressure increase turns the tank crew into jelly?
My thoughts were more how the crew, inside the inner shell, would have to remember to discharge the thing before climbing out, lest they get vaporised too. Provided there's enough of a vent in the outer skin you wouldn't get much pressure build-up.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:55 am

First came across HESH at school in mid 50s (we had a good all round education) when we had a visit from some Cavalry unit with a Saladin armoured car. To mid-teens it was the sexist thing on wheels. Of course the short barrel 76mm gun was no match for a 105mm tank gun but a HESH round at short range would give them time to retreat behind a smoke screen.