Astronomy 101

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Astronomy 101

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:14 am

http://howfarawayisit.com/video-book/

Lightning David, not lightening aaargh...!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Astronomy 101

#2 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:15 am

My mind is boggled.

How **** anyone can retain that stuff in mind whilst simultaneously persuading a twistygrip collective and a cyclic and two contradictive pedals, to approximate to something like a 3D level course, while conversing with recalcitrant Air Traffic Confusers, with that stuff in your head, is beyond my imagination.

I salute you, Sir.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:07 am

Gosh - I didn't realise it was only 4k away. Can't see what all the fuss is about..............

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:40 am

Boac wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:07 am
Gosh - I didn't realise it was only 4k away. Can't see what all the fuss is about..............
Sigh! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:45 am

David Butler is a interesting guy. A polymath (even if he does spell lightning incorrectly, I am sure Boac will forgive him though)! I particularly like the lovely selection of classical music that underpins the educational videos.

Putting all that effort into his course and excellent videos must truly have been a labour of love!
David Butler

I’ve recently retired after a 40 year career in computer software development, where I helped build operating systems, parallel operating systems, and massively parallel database systems that represent a foundation for today’s social media and the internet. It was a very satisfying career.

My education was math and physics culminating in a masters degree from Oxford University studying the mathematical foundations of Quantum Mechanics out of the Math Institute attached to St. Catherine’s College. So I’ve always been very interested in science, physics, astronomy, cosmology.

I now produce free educational video books on YouTube. My first publication was "How far away is it". It covers how we know how far away things are. My second was "How small is it" on quantum mechanics. It covers how we know what we know down to the Higgs Boson. My third and most recent is "How fast is it" on the speed of light, special relativity and general relativity with a chapter on gravitational waves in development.

The channel has over 2.2 million hits and almost 20 million minutes watched. I have 18 thousand subscribers. The associated website is howfarawayisit.comMy education was math and physics culminating in a Masters degree from Oxford University studying the mathematical foundations of Quantum Mechanics out of the Math Institute attached to St. Catherine’s College. So I’ve always been very interested in science, physics, astronomy, cosmology.

I now produce free educational video books on YouTube. My first publication was "How far away is it". It covers how we know how far away things are. My second was "How small is it" on quantum mechanics. It covers how we know what we know down to the Higgs Boson. My third and most recent is "How fast is it" on the speed of light, special relativity and general relativity with a chapter on gravitational waves in development.

The channel has over 2.2 million hits and almost 20 million minutes watched. I have 18 thousand subscribers. The associated website is howfarawayisit.com
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ian16th » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:29 pm

I’ve recently retired after a 40 year career in computer software development, where I helped build operating systems, parallel operating systems, and massively parallel database systems that represent a foundation for today’s social media and the internet
Anyone know where he was working? Or who for?
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:58 pm

ian16th wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:29 pm
I’ve recently retired after a 40 year career in computer software development, where I helped build operating systems, parallel operating systems, and massively parallel database systems that represent a foundation for today’s social media and the internet
He worked as the Director of Database Development at Teradata and then as MDM of Marketing at Oracle.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by ian16th » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:04 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:58 pm
ian16th wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:29 pm
He worked as the Director of Database Development at Teradata and then as MDM of Marketing at Oracle.
Thanks
Cynicism improves with age