Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Julian Bream

#101 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Julian Bream.

Just one example:

And so much more ........

His passage is so much of my lifetime.

Not a cause or a consequence, but he played some music tracks and trackts of some very important bits of my life.

Now, he is gone.

I, for one, will weep for him. With his lovely music, of course!

The second half of that video may bore some, just as I have done with my own second half of my bit aboard our planet.

He explained the mechanics of magic so well, such as here:

admin
Chief Engineer

Re: Departed during 2020

#102 Post by admin » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:44 am

I too will shed a tear. Julian was one of my heroes in the days when I learning to play classical guitar. Whilst most sought to recognise his guitar virtuosity, I took equal pleasure out of his work with the lute.

Still have a whole shelf of his LP's, perhaps forty plus. Occasionally bought CD's of his work, but there was no comparison. On his LP's you could hear his fingers slide along the strings, or his chair squeak when he adjusted his weight. CD's were sterile in comparison. Listening to an LP and he was there in the room with you. Magic.

Alison
PS. GG, my first guitar tutor sang with the SABC Opera section. Used to visit him twice a week down in Bedfordview (Ithink). I had an apartment at the top of the ridge in Primrose Hill. Well before the NR's took over.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#103 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:28 am

admin wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:44 am
I too will shed a tear. Julian was one of my heroes in the days when I learning to play classical guitar. Whilst most sought to recognise his guitar virtuosity, I took equal pleasure out of his work with the lute.

Still have a whole shelf of his LP's, perhaps forty plus. Occasionally bought CD's of his work, but there was no comparison. On his LP's you could hear his fingers slide along the strings, or his chair squeak when he adjusted his weight. CD's were sterile in comparison. Listening to an LP and he was there in the room with you. Magic.

Alison
PS. GG, my first guitar tutor sang with the SABC Opera section. Used to visit him twice a week down in Bedfordview (Ithink). I had an apartment at the top of the ridge in Primrose Hill. Well before the NR's took over.
+1 with respect to the loss of Mr Bream. An extraordinarily talented man. RIP.

With respect to the SABC Opera section, do you remember Mimi Coertse Alisoncc?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#104 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:35 am

Pete Way, the bassist with UFO has died. What with the deaths of Raymond, Chapman, Way, et al, it seems that the hard rocking Phil Mogg and Atomik Tommy M (whose girlfriend Jeanie May's left breast deflated on a flight from the USA) are the only ones left to carry on holding the torch. Oh yes, and Michael Schenker
Founding UFO bassist Pete Way has died at the age of 69.

"He sustained life threatening injuries in an accident two months ago," explains a post on Way's official Facebook page, "but fought hard until finally succumbing to those injuries at 11.35am BST today. His wife, Jenny, was at his side."

Way helped start UFO alongside singer Phil Mogg, guitarist Mick Bolton and drummer Andy Parker in 1968. He performed on their first 10 studio albums – from 1970's UFO 1 to 1982's Mechanix – before departing with the idea of forming Fastway with Motorhead guitarist "Fast" Eddie Clark.

Label contract problems forced him to leave Fastway, however, before they could record their 1983 debut. Way formed his own band after a brief stint playing with his good friend Ozzy Osbourne on the Speak of the Devil tour. Waysted then served as the opening act for Osbourne's Bark at the Moon tour.

He returned to UFO six years later, and ultimately served as their bass player for more than 30 years, before health issues forced him off the road prior to a tour in support of 2009's The Visitor.

Way later cited UFO's highly regarded 1979 double live album Strangers in the Night as the highlight of his time with the group. "That was a summary of many years on the road, many albums and it was very successful," he told AntiHero in 2019. "And it proved how good we were live."

When asked in the same interview what he hoped his legacy would be, Way answered: "Well, I just love to play rock music, you know. I’m old now. I pretend I’m not old but you look back and you go, you can’t, sort of not count the years. I don’t know. I’ve had a unique opportunity to play with some very good people."
Read More: UFO Bassist Pete Way Dead at 69 | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pete-wa ... m=referral

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#105 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:44 am

Another really sad loss I noted yesterday was the actress Linda Manz who died at 58.

She made Days of Heaven and Out of Heaven the quirky extraordinary films that they were...

Linda Manz - Obituary
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#106 Post by Wodrick » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:23 pm

Yet another
Wayne Fontana

Peace for a troubled mind.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#107 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:26 pm

I am sure that all the fans here (of which there are many I am sure) of thrash metal band Power Trip will be sad to hear that front man, and Trump critic, Riley Gale has shuffled of this mortal coil at 34 years old. Rock on in perpetuity man.

Obituary
Power Trip are regarded as one of America’s most exciting and politically astute metal bands, whose sound draws on hardcore punk. They formed in Dallas in 2008, and released two acclaimed albums, 2013’s Manifest Decimation and 2017’s Nightmare Logic, plus a compilation of early tracks and a live album.

In 2020, Gale guested on Point the Finger by Body Count, the thrash band featuring rapper Ice-T, who was among those paying tribute to Gale. “I’m devastated… Still don’t know how… I’m speechless,” he wrote on Twitter. Members of Slipknot, Machine Head, Anthrax and other bands also paid tribute; the band Code Orange wrote: “You made a huge dent in heavy music history that will last for ever.”

Gale was an outspoken critic of Donald Trump, saying in 2017 that he “certainly falls under what I would label as ‘the enemy to the common people’. I think that man violates human rights on a regular basis and I think he’s awful and I think he needs to be stopped.”

His songwriting addressed social inequality and activism, and he described Nightmare Logic as “dealing with this waking nightmare, things seem so surreal that they’re unbelievable … trying to find optimism and a motivating force and realising that the 99% of us have more in common than we think”. The band tweeted “cease and desist” to Fox News after their music was played on the channel in 2017.

Other reports have stated Gale’s age as 35, but his age was confirmed to the Guardian via his UK press representative.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#108 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:39 pm

Former world boxing champion Alan Minter has died at the age of 69. I used to frequent his restaurant, Minters, when I lived in Creepy Crawley In the late 70’s. Met him there a couple of times. RIP Boom Boom.

BBC Sport
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#109 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:09 pm

Lee Kerslake, drummer for Ozzy, the Prince of Darkness...
Drummer Lee Kerslake has died at the age of 73. The musician, who built a strong reputation throughout the rock music inner circles having worked with both Uriah Heep and Ozzy Osbourne, lost his battle against prostate cancer.

Kerslake, who was born in Bournemouth, Dorset, in 1947, kickstarted his love affair with the drums at the age of 11 when he began learning the instrument. From there, prolifically practising his craft, he eventually went on to land his first professional concert with the band ‘Gods’ back in 1969 which would later result in three full-length albums.

Moving on from Gods, the drummer recorded one album with Head Machine in 1970 before fully solidifying his presence on the music industry with the band Uriah Heep where he would go on to record in excess of 28 full feature-length albums. Given his prowess, the Prince of Darkness himself would come calling during the 1980s and Kerslake began his close working relationship with Ozzy Osbourne, working on four albums in total.

RIP.
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/lee-kersla ... ied-cause/

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#110 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Do 'pop' drummers have to read music?

ribrash

#111 Post by ribrash » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:33 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:22 pm
Do 'pop' drummers have to read music?
Not really.The big band drummers often did.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#112 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Drax is dead, long live Michael Lonsdale...
Michael Lonsdale, the French-British actor whose best known role was the villain Drax in Moonraker but who also appeared in a string of films by auteur directors such as François Truffaut, Jacques Rivette and Alain Resnais, has died aged 89. Lonsdale’s agent, Olivier Loiseau, confirmed to Agence France-Presse that the actor had died at his home in Paris.

Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson said in a statement: “He was an extraordinarily talented actor and a very dear friend. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.”

Born in 1931 to a British military officer and his French-Irish wife, Lonsdale and his family spent the second world war years in French-controlled Morocco, before moving to Paris in 1947. Originally hoping to be a painter, Lonsdale studied acting with Tania Balachova, and began performing in the 1950s.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/s ... es-aged-89

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#113 Post by Woody » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:28 am

Dean Jones, it’s a bit close to home, when you’ve seen them playing :-o

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ed-59.html

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#114 Post by Karearea » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:23 am

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#115 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:41 am

I had never heard of Mr Merritt but am glad (and sad) that I have just been introduced to that evocative sound, even after he has slipped away.

That tune should have been a worldwide hit.
Christchurch had been chosen as the site for a United States paramilitary base to access Antarctica. Code-named "Operation Deep Freeze", it had the only airfield large enough to handle the huge transport planes. The US presence provided a greater influence of rock and roll music – young servicemen discovered The Teenage Club and the gravel-voiced young Kiwi singer, Merritt.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#116 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:47 am

Woody wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:28 am
Dean Jones, it’s a bit close to home, when you’ve seen them playing :-o
Most enjoyable video I have ever seen on this sometimes poignant thread... =))

Far too young... sad to hear.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Helen Reddy 1941 - 2020

#117 Post by Karearea » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:06 am

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#118 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:47 am

Really sad to hear about Helen Reddy.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#119 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:23 pm

Phone call earlier from his wife, another friend gone. Nobody anyone here would know, this time an old mate I'd known for 52 years. Nothing to do with aviation, just a good buddy. He wasn't well, a severe asthmatic all his life which he and all of us thought would get him in the end but he fell backwards down the stairs after getting out of his stair chairlift. Sod's law - RIP Andrew.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#120 Post by Karearea » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:55 pm

^ that's dreadfully sad, CharlieOneSix. Sympathy.